New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by IPSG_SlimShady View Post
    From the experts:

"What you see is what you get" is an expression that doesn’t always apply. This is true of the stingray that seemingly has no visible barb stinger. But don’t be deceived! According to Dr. Bob Shipp, Ph.D. professor of the University of Alabama and authority on fishes of the Gulf of Mexico, the barb may be concealed within a sheathlike tail wrapping, depending on its size and species. The barb, or spine, according to Dr. Shipp, can grow back if broken off, and is actually a modified scale, armored with recurved serrations that are as sharp as razors. The stingray has the ability to whip its tail up over its back and strike a victim. During the strike the tail sheath covering instantly moves back to expose the barb, located about one third the way down its tail (bluntnose and Atlantic species). In some instances it can whip its tail around a victim to exert a more powerful blow.

Never underestimate the penetrating ability of a stingray’s barb, even on the smallest of stingrays. The stingray’s barb is designed to penetrate virtually all sorts of dense materials, including wood and leather. And as unbelievable as it may seem, it’s been documented that large stingrays are able to drive a barb through a boat’s wooden planks or completely through a persons arm or leg.

According to Dr. Shipp, when a stingray strikes, it either removes its barb entirely, or breaks it off inside of the victim. When this occurs, doctors must probe the wound to make sure all particles have been removed, so the injury will not result in gangrene. In cases where the barb deeply penetrated, the wound must be enlarged to make sure it is properly cleaned.

Aside from the pain and serious laceration caused by the razor-sharp barb, which can sever arteries and possibly an Achilles tendon, a poison is released that can produce a drastic decrease in blood pressure, increased pulse, dizziness and possible shock.

http://www.jerrylabella.com/stingray.html
    Knowledgeable read... thanks sir. Grabe pala 'tong mga stingray na 'to. And by the way I see them being touched and lifted by the ones over on TV, I never would have thought that they aren't as "friendly" as what they seem.

Remember ko tuloy ung story ng frog at stingray.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    I guess every creature in this planet, however gentle or cute they may be, has been equipped by Mother Nature with their own self-defense weapon somewhere in their bodies.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    For a guy so full of life, this is an untimely demise.

I bet he had more adventure in his life than all of us here put together.

RIP

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I don't know what to say, I enjoyed his shows and other Discovery Channel/NGC counterparts but his accent is what got me the most. Truly a sad day for Animal Planet and his viewers.

RIP Steve Irwin.

RIP, he's one of my all time favorites in wildlife documentaries, so full of life so much enthusiasm. So sad to see him go this early

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    wife and I couldnt believe the very sad news.

R.I.P.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    awwww... very very sad news indeed. he's my favorite among all the animal documentary presentors. my kids would surely miss him too. may he rest in peace.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    BRISBANE, Australia - Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray during a diving expedition, Australian media said. He was 44.

ADVERTISEMENT

Irwin was filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef in northeastern Queensland state when the accident occurred, Sydney's The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on its Web site.

The Australian Broadcasting Corp. said Irwin was diving near Low Isles Reef near the resort town of Port Douglas, about 1,260 miles north of the state capital of Brisbane.

Queensland ambulance service spokesman Bob Hamil confirmed that a diver had been killed by a stingray off Lowe Isles Reef but refused to say who the victim was until relatives had been notified.

A rescue helicopter was sent from the nearby city of Cairns, and paramedics from it confirmed the diver's death.

"The probable cause of death is stingray strike to the chest," Hamil said.

Staff at Australia Zoo, Irwin's zoo in southern Queensland, said they had heard the reports but could not comment.

Irwin is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!" in his television program "Crocodile Hunter," which was first broadcast in Australia in 1992 and has aired around the world on the Discovery channel.

He rode his image into a feature film, and developed the Australia Zoo as a tourist attraction.

Irwin had received some negative publicity in recent years. In January 2004, he stunned onlookers at the Australia Zoo reptile park by carrying his 1-year-old son into a crocodile pen during a wildlife show. He tucked the infant under one arm while tossing the 13-foot reptile a piece of meat with the other.

Authorities declined to charge Irwin for violating safety regulations.

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken.

Irwin was also seen as a vocal critic of wildlife hunts in Australia. The federal government recently dropped plans to allow crocodile safaris for wealthy tourists in the Northern Territory following his vehement objections.

Irwin told the Australian television program "A Current Affair" that "killing one of our beautiful animals in the name of trophy hunting will have a very negative impact on tourism, which scares the living daylights out of me."

He is survived by his American wife Terri, from Oregon, and their daughter Bindi Sue, 8, and son Bob, who will turn 3 in December.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060904/..._tv/obit_irwin

R.I.P. mate.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    He will definitely be missed by everyone who loves him and his show. Never have I seen someone with so much energy and enthusiasm...

RIP.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    condolences mate.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Animal Planet host/Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin Killed by Sting Ray