New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Hello mga sir, I previously posted and was about to go buy a w124 250D but then budget did not allow me. The unit is now on display sa bicutan with a huge mark-up i believe. Anyhow, I think its better to start off with w123 200D. I will check the unit this afternoon all the way to Tanay.

Madami na din ako nabasa about the 200D re speed, but not of any telling its usual problems. My nephew had test drove the unit yesterday ok naman daw yung makina, may bulok lang daw sa running board. The unit is white, with 189K on the odo, 1982 model.

Is there anything I must look at nahihiya naman ako if I bring the manual I have downloaded and do all the functions checks. Sadly wala akong makukuhang mekaniko to check the unit, and wala din akong diesel compression tester.

Assuming I have bought the unit, I plan to change all the fluid, filters, yung mga ball joints ba nito ay replace lang or nalulubricate? Should I use MB fluids or there are off the shelves alternatives? sa mga ball joints po, eng mounts, can you please advise the price range?

I have just sold my "rayban" 7G galant I owned for almost 4yrs. maintained properly. I was thinking na if di naman magkakalayo ang maintenance cost ng galant sa w123 200D masusustain ko naman siguro.

Any advise will be helpful, pahingi lang po ng second opinion if what i will be doing is right.

Thanks in advance..

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Do not be shy to bring your checklist. YOU are a buyer and it's your right to ensure and know this is a good buy for your hard earned money, di ba?

Re: ball joints - replace! Some say you can replenish the grease inside the boot - this is true, but the joint itself (metal components) go bad and this is what cannot be "repaired" - hence my advice to replace.

Suspension parts go with FEBI, LEMFORDER, BILSTEIN, STABILUS-BOGE/SACHS, or JURID. MEYLE, pwede na pero avoid if others are available.

Changing fluids is great when buying the car, make sure you put the right amount and type of fluid, AND torque the plugs and fasteners properly. Filters - use MANN, MAHLE, KNECHT, or lastly BOSCH but avoid BOSCH if others are available.

Off the shelf fluids are okay, diesel oil is what you need (make sure it's rated for diesel engines). I use DELO 400 15W-40, it's VERY good oil for the money. Transmission fluid - is it manual or automatic? Autos use Dexron Mercon III rated ATF.

Use this manual as a guide as well - print mo rin if you want:

http://www.foro.pieldetoro.net/web/M....php?MANUAL=14

3. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Hi sir! Maraming salamat sa advise nyo. Copy paste ko nalang to to the files I have created as a quick reference guide. Have to say ang ganda ng W123 nyo sir . I have seen the pic in different sites already and saved a copy on my file as well.

I'm getting a manual tranny sir.

BTW, I have also seen shops for parts and service pero kalimitan sa north (ie. QC etc). I live sa Laguna and was just wondering why I don't see much writings on the MB shop sa may motortown sa alabang town center.

I have located also a shop sa sucat coming from skyway exit and u-turn, just beside the hyundai delearship pero shop is open during weekdays lang. I think from the post, the nearest I can run to is a shop sa evangelista or bangkal.

Thanks again, and i'm off to tanay in a short while to check the car. I'll try to post pics kung may further queries ako sa oto.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I have a W123 200D ... and personally its a keeper .. parts are plentiful and reasonably priced ... and most if not all are OEM .. I agree totally of what Pat (mbeige) has said. But then again, there's nothing more expensive than a cheap MB. So before buying, do the routine checks, bring a mechanic, seek expert opinion (here), check and compare other available cars, and haggle on the price.

IMHO ... a W123-200D is much cheaper to maintain than a Galant. You'd be surprised ..

5. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    on the tanay trip... we found a 300d but was beaten up, butas yung flooring, corrosion everywhere, tranny, rear axle (bungo) cyl head leaking, madami pagawain.. so we went around the town and found a 190e and 250d pero was out of budget...

anyhow, finally somewhere in the province again, my nephew spotted a 240d in good condition, came with a mechanic (but not so sure kung benz expert , we'll to keep the story short, i'll see the car tomorrow and hopefully maganda ang outcome, believing na good daw yung unit.
    plate number is PJF499. if it rings a bell, let me know.

US version daw na inuwi nung pamilya dito, so basically, im clueless sa paperwork nito, what should i look for? taxes and duties paid na daw and was last year registered na...

BTW magkano registration ng w123 my estimate is 6K+ excluding emission and TPL?

excited na ako sa first benz ko,,, woohooooo!

6. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rdt7G View Post
    BTW magkano registration ng w123 my estimate is 6K+ excluding emission and TPL?
    I have an '83 240d AT. I had it registered last month and cost me 6k all in na.

W123 200d