New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Worst things have been said on TV in the Philippines. She was expressing an opinion regardless of how she expressed it. MTRCB needs to remember there is such a thing as freedom of speech in the Philippine Constitution. Just because somebody complains doesn't mean you have to act on it, if after review it is determined that a reasonable person would have understood what she was trying to get across. Ooops MTRCB and reasonable shouldn't be in the same sentence since they live in a sheltered world and think they are the moral conscience of the country and that the citizens are too stupid to know what is right and wrong.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    Worst things have been said on TV in the Philippines. She was expressing an opinion regardless of how she expressed it. MTRCB needs to remember there is such a thing as freedom of speech in the Philippine Constitution. Just because somebody complains doesn't mean you have to act on it, if after review it is determined that a reasonable person would have understood what she was trying to get across. Ooops MTRCB and reasonable shouldn't be in the same sentence since they live in a sheltered world and think they are the moral conscience of the country and that the citizens are too stupid to know what is right and wrong.
    Censorship is a strange animal in the Philippines. I remember seeing disemboweled and bloody human corpses on tv for all to see. Yet, one little female nipple and.....blackout!

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Regarding the question of Osang regarding Jose Rizal which led to the incident...

Sinabi naman ni Osang na nasa Wikipedia raw ang sagot.

... José dropped the last three names that make up his full name, at the advice of his brother, Paciano Rizal Mercado, and the Rizal Mercado family, thus rendering his name as "José Protasio Rizal". ... This was to enable him to travel freely and disassociate him from his brother, who had gained notoriety with his earlier links with native priests who were sentenced to death as subversives."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Rizal#Family

However, since Wikipedia's explanation does not cite any source, the said explanation should therefore be considered unreliable.
    The oldest true profession (and it is not in ‘Showtime’)

For some reason, we think that we are always better than them. That we are by far more superior than them.

Some has-been on a noontime show thinks so. She was asked to be a guest-judge and after being away for so long from the camera, she thought it was her right to share with us the product or content of her brains in a brainless program.

This woman went on and on calling teachers “repeaters” and, to prove that she was making sense, she gave her most intelligent advice for the day: Wikipedia.

Now that makes sense. She consults Wikipedia. Perhaps, someone should tell her she can add her ideas anytime in Wikipedia so that when she consults the site, she will be listening to herself.

We did listen to this woman as she ranted and ranted. She actually sounded intelligent. There were words coming out and they sounded well.

That’s the value of Philippine television. It can make everyone an authority. It can endow everyone with gravitas and faux celebrity.
    http://businessmirror.com.ph/home/li...-showtime.html
    Last edited by Monseratto; January 14th, 2010 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    Agree with you on this one...

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Jeez, Osang vs MTRCB? I'll take the latter anytime, even if the agency is occasionally composed of bootlickers and nincompoops.

She gave thoroughly bad advice to kids (and to a certain extent, the nationwide audience), when she encouraged them na murahin niyo ang teachers niyo sa maling turo sa inyo. Stupid crap from a stupid woman. It's okay to question. Dumb if you have to curse to do so. When you appear on TV, there are certain things you can and can't do. Such statements are better aired over at late night, and not on a noontime show. (It doesn't make it right, though).

But one thing though. Osang will never change, palengkera pa rin yan kahit ilang suspensions man ang abutin. Has-been recidivists like her are mainly invited to TV shows for their interesting and controversial sound bites, all in the name of ratings.

My personal opinion: Serves her right. Today, it's the teachers. Tomorrow, she'll be blaming the doctors and the architects; and next week, it'll be the morticians.

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KERSMcRae View Post
    To be fair with MTRCB, someone complained to them (according to the news I heard) that's why they acted on the complaint.

Very unusual lang for me is their actions are quite fast... pwede na sila sumali sa "Magpasikat".. yung pinalit sa Showtime
    Right I think they were on to Osang from Day 1 and was just waiting for a complaint like this to be filed.

They (MTRCB) very well know that whenever she goes on the air she raises everybody's eyebrows...among other things

7. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Freedom of expression? How about letting your gradeschool children watch what Osang said? Would you allow it? As often said, freedom comes with a responsibility. Osang and maybe ABS-CBN were irresponsible on this, hence the action.

And let us not compare teachers with politicians, oil companies etc. Children do not encounter politicians and oil company executives on a regular basis like teachers.

Nothing against Osang, I've enjoyed some of her movies in the past :D, but she maybe is the last person whom would give some good advice which some of the guys thought was delivered in a very bad way.

On a related matter, WTF is "Magpasikat"? It is just the same a Showtime Live with a different name. Gaguhan na talaga sa Pilipinas.

MTRCB and ABSCBN deserve each other.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/print/84759

Actually... despite being an educator... I don't completely disagree with those remarks.

It's good for students to actively question their teachers. It's disheartening teaching before a class and not getting any questions. That means your students aren't thinking. Thus, they aren't really learning.

Maybe it was said in an improper tone, but the message itself doesn't warrant a suspension. It's an unfair generalization... but there are much worse things on TV that pass for "entertainment".

Nagmumukha nanamang balat-sibuyas ang mga pinoy.

Complete and utter bull****. Don't really expect anything less from the MTRCB.
    +1 para dito.
    I also think that we should start to do away with out balat-sibuyas attitude. It may have been on the manner it was delivered but I reckon that a warning should have sufficed. Anyhow, all this generated is another juicy topic that the media (and potentially some politicians) are capitalizing now on. Hehehehe But really, it may have just highlighted how "not matured" our society still is when it comes to discerning what's important and what's not.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Clarification lang po :

Yung post ko po ay di po para kay sir Memphis. Kaya ko lang po quinote ang kanyang post dahil gusto kong dugtungan. And, yung post ko po ay para po sa topic at di po para kay sir memphis.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fourtheboys96 View Post
    Freedom of expression? How about letting your gradeschool children watch what Osang said? Would you allow it? As often said, freedom comes with a responsibility. Osang and maybe ABS-CBN were irresponsible on this, hence the action.
    I don't let my daughter watch ABS-CBN at all. The politicizing, the scantily clad women doing dances suited for a nightclub on daytime shows. The O.A. Teledramas that teach kids it's okay to be mean to people because the bad guys never get their comeuppance... oh, yes, the abused heroine always wins in the end... but that's one example of good behavior being rewarded versus five hundred other episodes showing good people being abused... guess which example kids remember more? For kids... repetition is everything.

And would I allow my kid to watch it? Maybe. Then I'd tell her that Osang is crazy and that you shouldn't believe everything on TV. Actually, as soon as she's old enough, I'll have to tell her, anyway.

And let us not compare teachers with politicians, oil companies etc. Children do not encounter politicians and oil company executives on a regular basis like teachers.
    But still, we expose them to a media that tells them that politicos are bad people, that don't deserve their respect. That's not functionally any different... though the criticism is more deserved, in this case...

MTRCB and ABSCBN deserve each other.
    True. But as I recall the MTRCB's duty is merely to censor objectionable content on air. Which means profane language, lewd content and inciting sedition. If telling one student to curse one teacher is inciting sedition, then a whole lot of things on ABS-CBN could be censored based on those guidelines.

-

This is not to say Osang did not do anything wrong... and she deserves her suspension by the network. But the MTRCB is butting in where it's not needed.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast