New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    I've been planning also to drive from Manila to La Union this late July.
    Plan route is NLEX then SCTEX. From SCTEX exit ako Santa Rosa-Tarlac Road then pakaliwa to Mc-Arthur Hiway (Tarlac City) via Balingcanay -> San Manuel -> San Jose -> Maliwalo. Safe ba dumaan dito if manggaling ako ng Manila 12AM? O mas safe from SCTEX then Luisita Access Road? Thanks

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    I practically forgot about this thread.

Last month Aibo and I finally embarked on our longest road trip ever: from Manila to Pagudpud, at the north coast of the northernmost province of Ilocos Norte. I was with my girlfriend and her family. We made quite a few stops along the way.

Calle Crisologo, Vigan City

Paoay Sand Dunes Park

Bangui Windmills

Patapat Viaduct (the white Ford Ranger pickup is the lead car in our convoy)

Kapurpurawan Rock Formation

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Pagudpud beach

All that driving sure took a toll on Aibo's brake rotors and Tanabe pads though. Just look at them wheels...mind you they're supposed to be black!

Aibo had a full load of five people and cargo the whole trip. Overtaking slower traffic and keeping up with the turbodiesel Ranger on the long provincial roads was an exercise in planning, as I frequently had to wind out the little L13A3 mill to 6000 RPM in second gear for overtaking long vehicles safely. Hence, fuel economy over the four-day, 1200+ km journey was basically the same as it was while I was driving in Manila. The GD1 has light weight as its greatest weapon; load it up enough and its performance is slightly handicapped.

What Aibo lacked in grunt, he made up for in relative comfort. Had I still had the stock seats, I would not have attempted this trip. Although they lacked lumbar support, the Recaro SRDs were a godsend for long-distance driving. I was behind the wheel for long spells at a time, as long as 12 hours driving. The normally stiff ride wasn't as much of an issue either as Ilocos Sur and Ilocos Norte share some very, very good roads - much better than 90% of Manila tarmac/concrete - and Aibo was athletic enough to outmaneuver the odd suicidal maniac driver.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    nice pics TS.

with our little engine 1.3 we really need to pump those RPM high just to overtake buses/long trucks/etc. i wish mine is a 1.5engine GE m/t.

i hope next summer TPLEX is fully complete.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TopEngine View Post
    Plan route is NLEX then SCTEX. From SCTEX exit ako Santa Rosa-Tarlac Road then pakaliwa to Mc-Arthur Hiway (Tarlac City) via Balingcanay -> San Manuel -> San Jose -> Maliwalo. Safe ba dumaan dito if manggaling ako ng Manila 12AM? O mas safe from SCTEX then Luisita Access Road? Thanks
    Up ko lang itong tanong ko

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Up ko lang itong tanong ko
    If you're travelling at night, or wee hours of the morning, better to take NLEX - SCTEX - Luisita (or Tarlac City) exit then Mc Arthur Highway. Walang traffic and the roads are mostly wide already.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    ^

It's better to take the last exit (Tarlac) IMHO.turn left at the junction. This is now the Tarlac-Santa Rosa road. Be aware of directional signs so you won't get lost. Taking this route will let you by-pass most of Tarlac city.

Portions of the highway from San Manuel to Villasis are under repair (widening), so be careful of unlit road barricades especially during night time.

Generally, its safe to travel during night time. Just make sure your vehicle is in top condition, and be alert for anything on the roads, wary tricycles, unlit trucks, kuligligs, drunk people, loose farm animals, etc.

Vigan ... Hmmmm .. I wonder if my gasser W123 will be up to the challenge..
    Last edited by lowslowbenz; July 18th, 2013 at 06:36 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^ Kaya yan. I think one sign of a well maintained car is that you can jump in it anytime and just drive out of town without having to think about going for a service or check-up stop prior.

I remember my last trip to Ilocos. I was doing around 120kph on my pick-up and an R107 SL smoothly passed me as if i was standing still. I could imagine Bong Bong Marcos driving those roads that way back in the day. :D

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    ^

I think so too, but in the summer lang. I hate to think of cleaning my undersides of road mud. I remember seeing a dusty W108 parked at a roadside house after that long bridge in Carmen. Garaged, and up on wooden blocks.

I'll ask if its for sale next time. :D

10. Join Date
    Nov 2009

Or you can try exit at San Fernando then Mc Arthur highway through Tarlac city. Mas maiksi ang distance travelled dito kesa sa NLEX-SCTEX-Tarlac City by 10km.

Mas mabilis takbo mo sa superhighway pero mas mahaba ang distance (x). Say average ka ng 110kph sa superhighway versus 90kph sa Mc Arthur, it is a 10minutes difference infavor of superhighways but cost you around 160pesos of toll.

Sa Mc arthur, just incase of troubles especially that time (12mn) meron kang mga options dahil it is a common highway.

Happy trip!

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Driving from Manila to Vigan...any tips?