New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    kung mahilig ka sa gulay, you may want to try also the ensaladang talbos ng "pak-pako" o "pako" (fern). everytime na mapasyal ako ng Baler, yan ang request ko sa mga cousins ko. then paguwi, may talbos ng pako pa rin akong dala

2. Join Date
    Nov 2014
    I was there last week, roads are all good

I didn't get to swim or do the other touristy things this time, though, because I was there for a wake and a funeral. However, from my many, many visits, I can recommend these:

(random, as they pop up in my head haha)

Hotel: Costa, The Cube or Aliya
    Dicasalarin Cove, about 15 mins from Sabang beach, 300/head entrance, or 150/head if you're a guest at Costa Pacifica
    Dinadiawan, as said above
    Casapsapan beach, in Casiguran -- amazing untouched white beach
    Surfing lessons from Charlies Does or Aliya

Food recos along Sabang:
    The Good Food - try the quesadillas
    Kubli
    Hungry Surfer - try the crispy squid heads
    Kusina Luntian
    Dialyn's Bakeshop, good also for pasalubong
    Pako salad, pako pizza, lumpiang pako anywhere

Food recos sa bayan:
    Rolling store
    Gerry Shan's eat all you can

Pasalubong suggestions:
    Fresh pako from the market: 10-15php per bundle, wrapped in newspaper. To prepare, blanch, mix with sliced onions, tomato, salted egg with fish bagoong + calamansi as dressing
    Aling Pacing's peanut butter
    Suman (the purple one), around 60php per bundle

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Great to have all the suggestions, gents.

I'm also bringing my cooler to buy fish. Hope the weather will be cooperative too as we're ushering in the rainy season soon.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    We stayed at Costa Pacifica when we went to Baler last year. I enjoyed the twists and turns of the drive going there. I could have done a much faster pace but I was afraid my passengers might puke their breakfast.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I'm more of a San Juan LU fan than Baler, but Baler has a more laid back (i.e. rural) vibe than San Juan because it has less restaurants and people.

If going with family, Costa Pacifica is your best bet although it's really overpriced for what you get. It's just that the other hotels are more geared to the backpacker market than families. Nice pool though in Costa though.

The road to Baler is full of corners in Pantabangan but the quality of the cement is a bit shoddy.

Beach is *meh*, greyer sand than San Juan. Waves are good though and perfect for beginners.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jut703; May 29th, 2018 at 10:44 AM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    We stayed at Costa Pacifica when we went to Baler last year. I enjoyed the twists and turns of the drive going there. I could have done a much faster pace but I was afraid my passengers might puke their breakfast.
    My family is used to such drives thankfully; my youngest still prefers using the child car seat as it has good lumbar support while my elder child knows well enough to take some motion meds and eat light to keep nausea in check.

Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    I'm more of a San Juan LU fan than Baler, but Baler has a more laid back (i.e. rural) vibe than San Juan because it has less restaurants and people.

If going with family, Costa Pacifica is your best bet although it's really overpriced for what you get. It's just that the other hotels are more geared to the backpacker market than families. Nice pool though in Costa though.

The road to Baler is full of corners in Pantabangan but the quality of the cement is a bit shoddy.

Beach is *meh*, greyer sand than San Juan. Waves are good though and perfect for beginners.
    Right now we usually choose to spend one day going around then one day lounging around which is why getting a good resort or hotel is always a priority even if it costs more. Ten years ago when we were just about starting off, we'd find the cheapest and most fun accommodations then hack it out anywhere. Age

My pickup ride gets rough on poorly cemented roads though (not bouncy... but you get rattled).

7. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    My family is used to such drives thankfully; my youngest still prefers using the child car seat as it has good lumbar support while my elder child knows well enough to take some motion meds and eat light to keep nausea in check.

Right now we usually choose to spend one day going around then one day lounging around which is why getting a good resort or hotel is always a priority even if it costs more. Ten years ago when we were just about starting off, we'd find the cheapest and most fun accommodations then hack it out anywhere. Age

My pickup ride gets rough on poorly cemented roads though (not bouncy... but you get rattled).
    Lagyan mo ng addt'l load sa likod mga 100kgs. Gaganda ang play ng suspension ng pick-up mo. Promise.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    Lagyan mo ng addt'l load sa likod mga 100kgs. Gaganda ang play ng suspension ng pick-up mo. Promise.
    Actually with my current set-up (Bilstein shocks and 20" tyres) the ride is not bouncy, it's just rough on poorly finished surfaces. The firmer suspension set-up (and my preference for higher tyre pressures) that makes the ride rough on crummy surfaces but on dirt roads it actually glides through dips and the like.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Drove to Baler via the Pantabangan route yesterday. Masaya ang mga curves in the mountains although there were 3 short rough and unpaved sections. Ongoing din ang improvement ng kalsada dahil may mga affected ng landslides na ginagawa pa. They are also doing road reblocking in Cabanatuan so may stop and go in some sections.

Sarap pumunta pag weekday walang kalaban

Tailed a surfer dude/dudette in a Fortuner (may board sa roof rack) all the way through the mountains. Tambay siguro ng Baler kaya sanay sa kalsada. Di tuloy ako maka-ihi dahil I didn't want to get left behind. We parted ways before Baler proper.

Kaya ang kalsada ng sedan pero it has to be careful on the unpaved sections. Short lang naman mga 10 meters each pero since may broken pavement sections may chance na sumayad. Medyo hirap lang siguro on uphills ang 1.3 or 1.5 especially if fully loaded.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    Drove to Baler via the Pantabangan route yesterday. Masaya ang mga curves in the mountains although there were 3 short rough and unpaved sections. Ongoing din ang improvement ng kalsada dahil may mga affected ng landslides na ginagawa pa. They are also doing road reblocking in Cabanatuan so may stop and go in some sections.

Sarap pumunta pag weekday walang kalaban

Tailed a surfer dude/dudette in a Fortuner (may board sa roof rack) all the way through the mountains. Tambay siguro ng Baler kaya sanay sa kalsada. Di tuloy ako maka-ihi dahil I didn't want to get left behind. We parted ways before Baler proper.

Kaya ang kalsada ng sedan pero it has to be careful on the unpaved sections. Short lang naman mga 10 meters each pero since may broken pavement sections may chance na sumayad. Medyo hirap lang siguro on uphills ang 1.3 or 1.5 especially if fully loaded.
    Di pa rin pala nila ginagawa yung road repairs dyan. Nung magpunta ako ng october dyan same 3 rough roads pa din.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast