New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i just recently went on a road trip... and unfortunately, i messed up my tires including my rim! i didn't find out about it until recently when i tried to get my car's safety inspection...

i know i did hit a curb... too bad that it took a chunk out of my tire and scratched my rim badly. which then made my car fail its first safety inspection!
    so, i bougt new tires - cost me almost $175 + labor.
    but this doesn't end my misery!!!

apparently, i hit the curb that hard that they can't balance my tire as close to perfect anymore....
    instead, i decided to exchange my messed up tire with the one of those at the rear ( since i have a front wheel drive vehicle ).

but see, my sole purpose of writing this is to ask you guys expert advise... how can i fix my scratched up rim??? ( buying a new one is the last resort - it cost approx $270/rim )

i deeply appreciate your replies.
    thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I believed taga cheese toast ka este east coast , not familiar with the tire services dyan pero sa west coast , marami dito . If the names are familiar to you , they can help you . BIG O Tires , DISCOUNT Tires , they can fix ur problem . But , that may just be fixing the problem temporarily . Let some good reliable mechanic check ur suspension , axles etc .

What they do in fixing ur rim is , i resurface nila ito mainly sa lip o dish ng rim , heat it up para lumambot then straighten it up . Kung di ako nagkakamali , about $ 100 a rim .

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kung nasa pinas ka....most machine shops would build-up the chip out portion by welding and then reshape the rim by machining it. A good shop will do it perfectly like as if nothing happened. Then a coat of paint to match the original color of the rims and a clear urethane "varnish" will finish it up like brand new.

Here, they would charge you anywhere between P500-P2000 per rim depending on the extent of the damage to be repaired. The paint part is separate, may be around another P500-1000 but if you DIY it, it would be cheap (cost of paint).

my 2 cents.

messed up rim