New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymd View Post
    installed gt champiro sx2 sa car ko. so far ok naman tahimik din and sobra kapit. treadwear is 200 vs 140 na stock re05a na bridgestone. was supposed to get toyo drb pero mura yun champiro comparable daw sa potenza re11 sa performance. ganda din ng tread design laki ng treadblocks
    Bro how are your GT Champiro SX2s?

I'm coming from Achilles 2233 and they're not very good for track use, but they're great for daily use.

I will only track the car about 2-3 times a year, and will drive it through 20,000 km of highways and provincial roads every year. No doubt the SX2 is a great track tire but I'm wondering how well it performs as a street tire.

Currently being offered 225/40R18 for 5.2k each (2014 mfg date). I don't mind the older tires since I'll definitely wear them out before 2020. If you know any shops that have stocks for my size, please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    *jut703 - I have read from other sites that they use Achilles 123S for track use. Have you tried that? Anyway, you can opt for Federal 595EVO or the more aggressive 595RSR. I know a dealer in Sucat where you can get them at a discounted price. He also carries GT tires.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    *jut703 - I have read from other sites that they use Achilles 123S for track use. Have you tried that? Anyway, you can opt for Federal 595EVO or the more aggressive 595RSR. I know a dealer in Sucat where you can get them at a discounted price. He also carries GT tires.
    The 123S is great for a few laps on the track, but heats up easily and thus loses grip after a while. On the road, completely awful as it wears out very quickly. Most people use the GT SX2 nowadays for track use, or the cheaper Westlake RSR.

My concern is that the people who have them use them for low-mileage, high track-use cars. On the contrary, I use my car extensively on the highway and provincial roads, while I would only track it a few times a year.

I'm also thinking of the 595 Evo but it's just like the SX2 - a high-performance street tire with a 200 tread wear rating, so it might not do so well for daily use.

In any case, what's the name and number of the dealer in Sucat? I'll give them a call. Thanks! Best Mid-Priced Tires

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    *jut703 - Sent you in PM the contact details. I got my 595EVO from that dealer. He offered me 4.2k each for the 225/45/R17 tires I used on my old Accord.

How about the Kumho Ecsta XS KU36? A neighbor offered me (at a bargain) those tires after he used it for a month. It was so grippy but it only lasted just over a year on my old Accord.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    *jut703 - Sent you in PM the contact details. I got my 595EVO from that dealer. He offered me 4.2k each for the 225/45/R17 tires I used on my old Accord.

How about the Kumho Ecsta XS KU36? A neighbor offered me (at a bargain) those tires after he used it for a month. It was so grippy but it only lasted just over a year on my old Accord.
    How was the wear on your 595 Evo? It's a 280 UTQG tire but they say that the GT Champiro SX2 (200 UTQG) lasts longer even if it's a softer tire.

The KU36 even softer as it's a 140 UTQG tire. Am surprised you got a whole year out of them.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I've narrowed my choices to two tires:

1. Yokohama A.Drive R1 - not to be confused with the pedestrian A.Drive (OEM for the Civic FD), the A.Drive R1 has a more aggressive tread pattern which supposedly makes it grippier. Still not a track tire, but at least it has a tread wear rating of 300 so it should last at least 30,000 km.

2. GT Champiro SX2 - the king of affordable track tires, it's a very grippy tire that's also durable, at least compared to all other tires with tread wear ratings of 200. However, even if it's durable compared to its competitors, I doubt it can last as long as a street tire like the R1.

Price is pretty close for the 2 tires, since I can get the Yokohama at a discount. So the question is - [b]Street tire or track tire?[b]

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    How was the wear on your 595 Evo? It's a 280 UTQG tire but they say that the GT Champiro SX2 (200 UTQG) lasts longer even if it's a softer tire.

The KU36 even softer as it's a 140 UTQG tire. Am surprised you got a whole year out of them.
    I only used the 595EVO for 6 months before I sold my Accord. There was not much wear for the duration I have used it. It offers an ample amount of grip if used for a daily car. 30k KM will a good estimate for them unless you run them hard on a track.

I got about 15k km for the KU36 even though I got them used. The texture on its rubber is grainy, much like a fine sandpaper.

Choosing between the Yoko R1 or the GT SX2, the SX2 looks grippier. The SX2's thread pattern looks similar to the Potenza.
    Last edited by Egan101; October 21st, 2016 at 04:26 PM.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Choosing between the Yoko R1 or the GT SX2, the SX2 looks grippier. The SX2's thread pattern looks similar to the Potenza.
    No doubt the SX2 is grippier. But my car is still first and foremost, a workhorse. So while I can get good track times with the SX2, I only track a few times a year. For the rest of the year, the SX2 wears out faster than the R1.

Whenever I'm on the track, my main objective isn't to be the fastest anyway - it's just to be faster than my previous time. Kinda unfair to shave 3 seconds off my time just because I used better tires, even without improving my skills.

This is why I'm leaning more towards the R1 for now. But I may be downplaying the SX2's durability too much, I don't know. Noone who uses them as daily tires racks up as many kilometers as I do, so I can't really tell. If it was a weekend car, no doubt the SX2 would be my first choice. But since it's a workhorse, I'm kinda iffy... Best Mid-Priced Tires

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Aww bad news, no more stock of the R1. Guess it's the SX2 then, hopefully it lasts!

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Aww bad news, no more stock of the R1. Guess it's the SX2 then, hopefully it lasts!
    If you're getting a set of 4, maybe your SX2 dealer will give a better discount. Nothing wrong in asking for a better deal. Hehehe