New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Is there anybody here that can customize the carnival's exhaust manifold and exhaust system for better flow? the warrnaty of my carnival is about to expire this november and I'm planning to further improve its performance. As is the performance of the carnival is superior. However, I fell that the stock die cast 4-to-1 header restricts the flow of the exhaust gasses.

The challenge is to create a tuned header that smoothly guides the exhaust gasses until it reaches the turbo. A heat shield is a must to protect the electronics near the firewall.

What will be its effect at the mid and low band rpm range? Will it be harder to drive in bumper to bumper situations? To my knowledge the modification will greatly improve the high rpm range of the engine.

let me hear your thoughts on this.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hi rodski nice to see another proud owner of the carnival. there are quite a few people here in tsikot who also own a carnival & a sedona, including myself.

stock performance is really far superior than almost any diesel engine locally. regarding the headers, i didnt know that it had a 4 to 1 type of header. as far as i know this kind of header is for "high speed driving " meaning it works best on mid to high rpm's. theres no aftermarket header available, but you can approach reputable muffler & header shops like smt or nodalos to fabricate one for you. installing one increases performance a bit, but i dought that upgrade alone will be noticeable in your day to day driving. what i mean is, for you to have a really "obvious" increase in perf you have to do the I/H/E upgrade.(intake/headers/exhaust)

btw here are the "engine upgrades" that i did on my carnival:
    K & N "drop-in" filter
    Petron Rev-x All Terrain Fully Synthetic Diesel Engine Oil
    5% mix of Senbel's Biodiesel

every other components are stock.
    Last edited by benchph1; September 23rd, 2003 at 11:53 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    benchph1,

could you please explain how the K&N "drop in" air filter works, and where I might find one. also, how often does this filter require cleaning, and what is its maintenance regimen?

napapagod na ako sa kapapalit ng regular type air filter e... ang bilis pa dumumi dahil lagi ako dumadaan sa NLEX

4. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Benchph1

I have 34K on the odo and still using the duckhams oil. I plan to upgrade to mobile 1 delvac after the warranty expires this November. I recently shifted to pure diesel and this improve performance versus Shell ultra. I have it serviced every 5K kms. I have a manual tranny.

Where could I get the k&N filter for the carnival? The stock filters don't last long. They get deformed before 10k kms. I think the K&N filter last longer.

The stock hearders of the Carnival is a die cast metal 4 to 1 akin to the old headers found in cars in the 60s. The short lenght of each pipe at right angles restricts the flow of exhasut gasses to the turbo. I feel that improving this would generate more spin on the turbo. Just a pet project. hehehehe

I also recently converted it to seven seater layout and my family was never been happier. My daughter treats it like a playground.
    other projects on the pipe line are:

Audio/ video 5.1 DVD system
    leather seats

I'm still contemplating wheter I go for biodiesel. I like what I read in other threads. But is it sfae for our engines.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mikey177,

wulf, also a proud carnival owner was the one who told me about the "drop-in" k&n filter. the size of the filter is the same as OEM. thats why its called "drop-in" you just remove the old one and "drop" in the k&n. the difference is between the two is you get the same filtration & quietness (even better) of the OEM filter,
    but the performance of an aftermarket cone-type air filters. plus, it can be cleaned again and again and again. ive been using it for about 4t+ kms. now and it still has its original shape, though a bit dirty. about cleaning, it depends on your driving conditions.

about biodiesel, its really meant for those old workhorse diesel engines who have been accumulating carbon deposits and emmiting black smoke on their tailpipes. mine being a 2 year old unit already emmits smoke when revved high. so i tried it. results are very obvious: less to no smoke at all, better off-the line acceleration, and better fuel mileage. though youre obligated to change the fuel filter after a month of using it. this is because all the carbon will pass through the fuel filter

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by rodski
    I'm still contemplating whether I go for biodiesel. I like what I read in other threads. But is it safe for our engines.
    During my PMS last week, I asked the service advisor at Wheels E. Rodriguez what he thought about using biodiesel in the Carnival engine.

He gave me a quizzical look and said something like, "biodiesel? ser, ano yun?" :confused:

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    biodiesel has been available for quite some time now. its just the public hasn't been informed properly about the product.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    as for your customized headers upgrade, you might want to contact auto_xer*yahoo.com

the price might be a little stiff since it is a customized job...

9. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Thanks mazda for the info. I'll write to him and ask him how much it will take to do this project.

Carnival Engine upgrades