New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2008
    ganyan talaga guys mahirap i overtake ang diesel na walang turbo ganyan din ako pag ng drive ng xwind ng barakada ko dati napagkahirap i overtake

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    Regular programming na nga

Not sure - but does turning off O/D really help when you're already mashing the gas pedal? Alam ko na kapag A/T models, flooring the gas would automatically mean the tranny shifting to the gear that gives the highest possible acceleration.

The O/D gear being "on" means that the OD is available to the tranny and CAN shift there when the extra power isn't needed.

Can anyone who has actually tried this at high speeds give any further insight on this?
    When the O/D is "ON", the transmission can shift upto 4th gear. When "OFF", only until 3rd gear.

So assuming you are running at 4th (O/D on) and you would need the extra power to overtake, yes, depressing the gas pedal would activate the kickdown to shift to 3rd gear BUT chances are during overtaking, transmission MAY shift back to 4th gear prematurely --- making the overtake a risk. So to avoid this, best to turn "OFF" the O/D until such time you have confidently overtaken the tricycle, este, the vehicle in front of you then you turn the O/D back "ON" to shift to 4th gear.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Actually, it's just the sluggish nature of the 4JA1-T that makes everything more complicated (read: slower).

otherwise, mash the pedal then turn the OD off once it downshifts para mag redline sa 3rd gear

BTW, follow the lines, they're actually very helpful, especially in our national highways.

OT ulit: We do pay for reliability, but it's not enough a reason to jack up the prices. If that were the case, then Mitsubishi would have the reason to price the Adventure (with its venerable 4D56) north of one million pesos. But they don't... which makes Isuzu's case not a very strong one.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    *willlvill, What happened? I thought you're buying a Starex CRDI? That one doesn't have overtaking power problems.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My experience with my XTO AT is when you are running at 90 - 100 kph at off mo yung OD lalo siyang bumabagal ang takbo pero mataas ang RPM. Lalo akong nabibitin umovertake. Normally ang gawa ko ay floor down yung pedal para mag 3rd gear tapos ay largahan yung gas para bumaba yung RPM then apak uli yung gas para mag shift siya sa 4th gear.
    Nakakatakot talagang umovertake using yung crosswind lalo na kung salubungan yung daan. Chances ay mabibitin ka pag hindi mo kabisado yung sasakyan mo.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    *willvill

yeah, This is a nice question. I too am having problems with regard to overtaking with the an AT vehicle.

I guess Crosswinds being so slow is a bit too much. Have someone driven a REVO or and ADVENTURE with a Automatic Transmission?

I bet they all will have the same results, with regard to the lag compared to their Manual Transmission versions.

But Thanks everyone withy your inputs will have to keep practicing pa. hehe.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nelany View Post
    My experience with my XTO AT is when you are running at 90 - 100 kph at off mo yung OD lalo siyang bumabagal ang takbo pero mataas ang RPM. Lalo akong nabibitin umovertake. Normally ang gawa ko ay floor down yung pedal para mag 3rd gear tapos ay largahan yung gas para bumaba yung RPM then apak uli yung gas para mag shift siya sa 4th gear.
    Nakakatakot talagang umovertake using yung crosswind lalo na kung salubungan yung daan. Chances ay mabibitin ka pag hindi mo kabisado yung sasakyan mo.
    ^This is the most accurate description of the 3rd and 4th gear characteristics of the A/T Crosswind . Here's my own take on overtaking with a Crosswind XTRM A/T:

Step 1: Back off from the vehicle in front of you. Make some room for speeding up.
    Step 2: Floor it! If you're doing about 80km/h *4th, let it shift down to 3rd. If you're going slower than 80km/h, just keep it at 3rd gear by turning the O/D off.
    Step 3: Upon overtaking, Keep it at 3rd gear before reaching about 900rpms before the redline.
    Step 4: While overtaking, let off the gas momentarily to let it shift to 4th. It actually makes the car go faster than what redlining does.
    Step 5: Gradually floor the pedal again but don't let it downshift!
    Step 6: Get back in your lane without flipping the car over.

There you go, all you need is enough space, good timing, and more patience than what I have! Make sure you have the checklist handy when you're overtaking...joke! Be safe and good luck!

8. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto_minosa View Post
    ^This is the most accurate description of the 3rd and 4th gear characteristics of the A/T Crosswind . Here's my own take on overtaking with a Crosswind XTRM A/T:

Step 1: Back off from the vehicle in front of you. Make some room for speeding up.
    Step 2: Floor it! If you're doing about 80km/h *4th, let it shift down to 3rd. If you're going slower than 80km/h, just keep it at 3rd gear by turning the O/D off.
    Step 3: Upon overtaking, Keep it at 3rd gear before reaching about 900rpms before the redline.
    Step 4: While overtaking, let off the gas momentarily to let it shift to 4th. It actually makes the car go faster than what redlining does.
    Step 5: Gradually floor the pedal again but don't let it downshift!
    Step 6: Get back in your lane without flipping the car over.

There you go, all you need is enough space, good timing, and more patience than what I have! Make sure you have the checklist handy when you're overtaking...joke! Be safe and good luck!
    tapos ako pala yung nasa harap hehe. ako kasi pag may umo-overtake binibilisan ko hehe, so nabibitin ang nasa likod ko pero ginagawa ko lang ito pag nakikita kong "show-off" lang yung nasa likod ko dahil hindi naman ako mabagal mag-drive. anyway, kadalasan hindi naman ako ino-overtake-an dahil ako ang madalas mang-overtake.

kudos to sir minosa, detalyado ang explanation niyo regarding overtaking using an A/T Crosswind.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    ^Thanks dude! It's really a pain to overtake with a Crosswind A/T, and every bit of technique helps.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by butirog View Post
    I guess Crosswinds being so slow is a bit too much. Have someone driven a REVO or and ADVENTURE with a Automatic Transmission?

I bet they all will have the same results, with regard to the lag compared to their Manual Transmission versions.
    You cannot directly compare the A/T variants of the Revo and Adventure to the Crosswind since they (Revo/Adventure) are only available in GASOLINE variants. Expected na mas responsive sa overtaking yung A/T variants nila.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
how to overtake using Crosswind AT