New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    How about an MT and AT Crosswind friendly racing in the highway?

From a dead start, which do you think should be ahead after 200 meters or so?

I had one experience against an XT...mine is XTO AT... when the road opened up wide and free after slowing down due to some road bumps.

I got the better of the exchanges. My rpm was already at 3.5k and the tranny was set at D. But I doubt the performance of my xto. Maybe the driver of the Xt purposely gave way to me due to incoming traffic. My acceleration was really slow.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    sir, for safety reasons and for the benefit of the common sense, better do the race in the tracks, not on the highway as you suggested...

3. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by willvill View Post
    From a dead start, which do you think should be ahead after 200 meters or so?
    Considering that both have the same engine (A/T thou is low charged turbo with a slight HP advantage) might still be the M/T (depending on the stretch). Mainly because the has the flexibility of shifting as he desires.... specially during acceleration..... but I believe that the longer the stretch takes, the A/T may be able to catch up. Sa arangkada lang talaga lamang yung M/T.

Drive safe, my friend.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    The MT would only get the advantage on acceleration.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    may A/T crosswind si Sir Niky, itanong natin how many secs he gets before hitting 100kph =)

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rion View Post
    may A/T crosswind si Sir Niky, itanong natin how many secs he gets before hitting 100kph =)

almost 20 seconds siguro.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I thought he said somewhere from, 25-30 secs... lol!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the MT will win out, the AT will not be able to catch up... road proven ko na yan. but.... it all depends on the driver, on how well he shifts gears. It's a matter or revving up to the correct gear, the right RPM and the right max speed between shifting gears. If it's the same tires, the turbo boosted MT might have an advantage over the older normally aspirated MT variants.
    The gear ratio of the AT also puts it at a disadvantage vs. the MT.
    btw, I'd also give the same advice, don't do it on the highway. do it somewhere safe.... and.. the old MT crosswind can go 140 kph max on flat/level roads, 145kph maybe but that's a bit past redline na (again that proven on the hi-way, SCTEX to be exact). A poster here on the isuzu forums says he was able to drive his xto to about 160 kph but I think it was on a downhill highway somewhere in Mindanao.
    stay safe dudes. the crosswind wasnt meant for racing. it's meant for carrying loads with ease (high torque) with fuel efficiency to boot.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Depends on the specific model. The manual will always reach 100 km/h from a dead stop first... but top speed has other limiting factors...

Older Crosswind MT models were all non-turbo, while high-end AT models were turbo. Now, the turbo only makes about 5-6 psi of boost (yes, that's pathetic compared to our Focus's 26+ psi... :hysterical: ), but that has an effect on acceleration and power... so they're relatively even at higher speeds.

Also consider the difference between year-models and trim levels... newer models are heavier, and the XUV's tall tires and high ride height makes it more sluggish at high speeds than our older XTO. Best case scenario for Crosswind racing (good luck surviving a race, though... with the propensity to roll over, lack of braking power and ABS and ancient crash safety cell... at least when you die, it'll be quick... ) would be a brand-new XT... as that now has both the turbocharger and the MT, with light steel wheels and a stripped body (bare essentials lang). Have been meaning to borrow one to... uh... test it against the XTO, but I just dont' have the time...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    ang kulit ng thread na to ah, never in my playfull mind did I ever think of this, pero mukhang masaya to sabayan mo pa ng kape at biskwit tapos naka radyo kayong dalawa masarap ang kwentuhan habang nagkakarera

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Friendly racing between an MT and AT Crosswinds