New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Problem: The trooper's idling was not as smooth after long drives, also throttle response was slower esp in the morning.

Solution: The TPS(throttle positioning sensor) is a round plastic thing with wires connected on the side, atop the engine, beside the yellow oil dipstick.

I measured the TPS setting, using a mm gauge, on 2 new troopers and compared the setting to mine.(Ordinarily, you'll need a multimeter or diagnostic computer to measure the TPS setting and specs from a service manual.) I only measured the gap within the slide and the fixing bolt (not very accurate) but this is normally adjusted by turning the sensor body until you get the setting right.

Comparing the setting on the new troopers, one had a 3mm gap, the other a 2mm gap- mine was at 3mm. I adjusted it to 2mm and took a long drive.

The difference was significant. Throttle response was sharper, ie, less foot pressure was needed to get the car up to speed. The idling increased and evened out. Even think there's less smoke since i don't have to depress the pedal as much.

Well, it's just more fun to drive now! :cool:

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Great discovery! Thanks for the info.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    thanks jackaroo...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks for the info!

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mahanap nga...
    Signature

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    it means more fuel consumption...
    anyway tnx... i ll check the gap of mine..

7. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    benny010,
    Actually, i just measured my fuel consumption after the adjustment- it improved from an average 7.6km/L to 8.2km/L. As of now, have not found any ill effects of the adjustment after 340km.

wiretap_md, RedHorse, IceColdBeer, boybi
    Welcome. Let us know if you adjust your TPS.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    based on my experience with tps, we measure it by using a multitester, using ohms as measurement. the reading when the throttle is closed should be zero. and when fully opened there should be a reading (depends on the car, see shop manual). when you adjust it and the throttle plate is closed the reading may not be zero, the computer will think that the throttle is open, hence will compensate for the corresponding fuel requirement for that certain throttle position. sometimes the tps also does not make a full reading even when the throttle is fully opened that is why some times some cars have faster top speed. based this on a civic sir which has a mechanical throttle linkage. dont know with the trooper since the throttle is electronically activated. parang fly by wire na airplane.

IMO lang each vehicle has different tps positioning. applicable lang to sa mga efi equipped engines.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by ARB
    dont know with the trooper since the throttle is electronically activated. parang fly by wire na airplane.
    I defintely agree on this. Try looking underneath the dashboard near the accelerator pedal and you will notice that there is no accelerator cable hooked to the pedal. All you will see is a sensor -- which converts the mechanical input from the pedal to an electrical signal and then transmitted to the onboard ECU. Because of this, the ECU can adjust itself very precisely to the pedal input of the driver. This is one tremendous advantage that the Trooper has over the Pajero and similar SUVs.

3.0Td Trooper- TPS adjustment