New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2009
    I finished cleaning the external surfaces of the Sporty so as part of the habit whenever cleaning our cars, to clean the engine bay as well.

I guess it will be a while before I need to clean it. LoL.

How I wish it would stay this clean for the life of the car, impossible I know, just wishful thinking on my part.

What waterless methods do you use to maintain your engine bays? I always used the Microtech foam spray and rag method. Perhaps there are more effective ways and products nowadays?

2. Join Date
    May 2018
    Back when my cars didn't have computers, I'd wrap the alternator, distributor and battery connectors with plastic and let loose with a hose & detergent.

===
    Nowadays I just use a magic duster for all loose dust, then follow with a damp rag.

3. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SoleusBB View Post
    Back when my cars didn't have computers, I'd wrap the alternator, distributor and battery connectors with plastic and let loose with a hose & detergent.

===
    Nowadays I just use a magic duster for all loose dust, then follow with a damp rag.
    Same here sir, old-school carburetors, foam-type overhead air filters, distributor caps and spark plug cables (1,3,2,4), hehehe.

I think I even used Tide pwder back then, much to the anger of my mom.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    i used the old way of degreaser spray, agitate with brush, rinse, wipe dry, apply protectant. it works for me

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by monty_GTV View Post
    i used the old way of degreaser spray, agitate with brush, rinse, wipe dry, apply protectant. it works for me

Nice. May I ask what kind or brand of degreaser and protectant you use sir Monty?

6. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sparc179 View Post
    Nice. May I ask what kind or brand of degreaser and protectant you use sir Monty?
    i can't remember the brand, its the cheapest degreaser in DIY shop near home. meguiar's back to black as protectant and trim restorer

7. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by monty_GTV View Post
    i can't remember the brand, its the cheapest degreaser in DIY shop near home. meguiar's back to black as protectant and trim restorer

Copy and thanks for sharing your input sir, I might try that Meguiars product for the plastic parts.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008

What waterless methods do you use to maintain your engine bays?
    a dry or moist basahan. the round platito-sized ones sold by the road hawks is fine.

9. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    a dry or moist basahan. the round platito-sized ones sold by the road hawks is fine.
    I used those for the flat surfaces Doc, but unfortunately they won't be effective for all the little nooks and crannies of the engine.
    Too many tubes and hoses underneath the cover.

Might go with a small brush usually meant for cleaning baby bottles, then a clean rag afterwards. A pistol cleaning kit would probably be good for the really tight corners and small spaces in between all of the fuel and electrical parts.

I'm more interested in the kind of cleansing chemicals that some of our fellow tsikoteers use, something effective but obviously not toxic or will make the plastic and rubber parts brittle and yet not sticky to dust and grime either.

Scotchgard for engines, if you will.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    I used those for the flat surfaces Doc, but unfortunately they won't be effective for all the little nooks and crannies of the engine.
    Too many tubes and hoses underneath the cover.

Might go with a small brush usually meant for cleaning baby bottles, then a clean rag afterwards. A pistol cleaning kit would probably be good for the really tight corners and small spaces in between all of the fuel and electrical parts.

I'm more interested in the kind of cleansing chemicals that some of our fellow tsikoteers use, something effective but obviously not toxic or will make the plastic and rubber parts brittle and yet not sticky to dust and grime either.

Scotchgard for engines, if you will.
    detailing brush with long handles do the trick in reaching hard to reach areas and tight spaces. a spray of degreaser will surely loosened even the most stubborn dirts and oily grimes with ease. rinse thoroughly after and wipe dry especially the rubber hoses as it may react with the degreaser if not remove. waterless wash like the optimum no rinse is also one product that i frequently use and equally effective to clean the engine bay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast