New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Am in the market for a slightly used Camry 3.5Q to replace my 5 year old 2.4V.

I just wanted to make sure that Camry is still the best buy for me whose #1 priority is back seat comfort.

Lui from Hyundai Abad Santos (the best Hyundai Agent in Asia--I would buy all my cars from this guy if I had a choice) kindly arranged for a test drive for me for the Azera.

I drove it briefly and my main comment was the responsiveness wasn't really there. Road handling was pretty acceptable.

One glaring gripe I have about the interior is the presence of...get this:

[SIZE=7]A CASSETTE PLAYER[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=7][SIZE=3]If I were to have bought this car home, my kids would have gone, "dad, what's that?"

For a car that cost nearly 2M, I simply cannot forgive that Korean guy who closed the OEM deal with Infinity and thought that having a cassette player was a good idea--that guy should be shot!

I quickly jumped into the back seat for the real test of suspension and ride comfort...
    Comparing to my nearly 6 year old 2.4V Camry to this month old Azera of HARI, I would still prefer the Camry. The Camry still felt a bit "heavier" and was able to handle the pot holes and bumps with a bit steadier ride. Eh paano pa kaya pag 3.5Q ang i-compare ko.

I guess the Koreans are indeed making great strides in their R&D, although I'm saying the Camry was "better" the difference wasn't really that far off. But again, that Cassette player was just the kicker
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It's possible this model of car caters to those who still think cassette tapes is the hip thing since 8-track cartridges.

3. Join Date
    May 2007
    Ummm, This is the old model ata of the Azera. Para sa akin, mas gusto ko ang porma ng Sonata... Just my two cents.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    I think its because the Azera is getting old already. The Camry is a much better buy for me.

But if you are not in a hurry, maybe you can wait for the new Hyundai Sonata which looks really nice.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    I think its because the Azera is getting old already. The Camry is a much better buy for me.

But if you are not in a hurry, maybe you can wait for the new Hyundai Sonata which looks really nice.
    I really doubt a Sonata would be able to hold a candle against the 3.5Q top of the line of Camry

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    next year ilalabas sa atin locally ang new sonata yf, AFAIK 2.4L na theta-II ang engine nito

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    An Azera comes in two flavors. One has the same 235hp/249hp 3.3L V6 as the outgoing model Sonata. The other has a 263hp 3.8L V6. At least that what I remembered it last.

The Azera is a much heavier car than the Sonata. So with either engine, the Azera's not going to be as quick as a 3.5L V6 Camry. The Camry is lighter than both cars, I think.

The 3.8L V6 Azera is still pretty spirited from a stoplight though with published 0-60 mph times ranging from 6.0 sec to 6.6 sec with the 3.8L V6.

I'd guess a lethargic Azera would be the one with the 3.3L Lambda V6.

As for the Sonata.... I was wondering where most of the Sonatas in the US were since I can find so few in the western US. It turns out most of them are up here in snow country of all places. I've never seen so many of them in one region.

For some reason, the Sonata does well with the slippery roads.

As for the choice..... I'd take the 3.5L V6 Camry.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; December 11th, 2009 at 02:24 PM.

Azera vs Camry