New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 3raserheads View Post
    ako din, gusto ko na AT, sana pati Formula 1, WRC AT na lahat, ma***citing kasi magdrive ng AT. I honestly love AT when going to work for conveniece (eating while driving), but on a weekend getaway, F#$& AT, MT for the win!
    too bad AT's are not really designed for abused driving or to be driven very hard or let me say Racing. may post sina sir ghosthunter or niky yata tungkol dito, hindi ko lang mahagilap kung nasaan hehe.

more on convenience and comfort talaga ang AT and I admit kahit MT lover ako, iba talaga ang naka-AT sa traffic. kung racer ka, go for the M/T.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ben_david19 View Post
    too bad AT's are not really designed for abused driving or to be driven very hard or let me say Racing. may post sina sir ghosthunter or niky yata tungkol dito, hindi ko lang mahagilap kung nasaan hehe.

more on convenience and comfort talaga ang AT and I admit kahit MT lover ako, iba talaga ang naka-AT sa traffic. kung racer ka, go for the M/T.
    The A/T transmissions we have cannot take continuous abusive driving without something having to give. An example is my Corolla GLi, its original a/t tranny has died and replaced before it reached 100k km on it's odometer. Another example is the Honda City/Jazz CVT A/T which is sensitive to the kind of driving habits it's owner/driver have.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    The A/T transmissions we have cannot take continuous abusive driving without something having to give. An example is my Corolla GLi, its original a/t tranny has died and replaced before it reached 100k km on it's odometer. Another example is the Honda City/Jazz CVT A/T which is sensitive to the kind of driving habits it's owner/driver have.
    the thing is, why abuse? everything that is abused is really detrimental...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by lancer5790 View Post
    the thing is, why abuse? everything that is abused is really detrimental...

True. but I tend to drive aggressively when given the opportunity. I enjoy driving at speeds faster than the norm. My cars show the mods done to make them go faster and to handle the added power well too.

One of the things hard to upgrade is the A/T tranny itself. Upgrading a M/T for increased performance is as easy as upgrading the clutch kit. It's not as easy for the A/T if there is a part (uprated torque converter, etc) available at all. And if available, it will be much more expensive.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    why abuse? I don't know pero aggressive driving din kasi ako madalas so I assume baka abuse na rin sa AT yung driving ko hehe. Open road for me equals fast driving hehe.

as we all know, ang M/T kasi na-reach na kumbaga ang pinaka-peak nang technology so wala na talagang dapat pang i-upgrade. A/T's until now marami pa ring pagbabago, medyo complicated din kasi siguro compared sa M/T.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    my previous vehicles were all MT but now both are AT.

As we grow older, i think we opt for convenience and comfort. compared to travelling for example dati okey na kahit pension house or backpacker style lang but now you want to reward yourself sometimes with 4-5 stars hotel accommodation. I used to have strong bias against ATs before (during those times when i had no basis at all not having owned a single AT vehicle) but they are all gone now. just my two cents

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    it's not true A/T can't be used for racing

there are performance upgrades for A/T (valve body conversion, better friction material, replacement valves and springs)

stock M/T mahina pang racing

in a Japanese econocar, when your engine mods go over 200hp, the clutch will begin to slip

you'll need to replace the stock clutch disc with one that has better friction material and a pressure plate with stronger holding force

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    There are two ways to abuse an A/T. It's really up to the driver how long his A/T will last, as he has full control of both.

1. Improper use - Burnouts/Donuts, jack rabbit starts, excessive stop and go operation, etc.
    2. Improper maintenance - ATF level too high/low or is not inspected and changed regularly, wrong ATF type, etc.

On performance/aggressive driving, Filipinos are cost-conscious. We know that it'll cost significantly more to mod an A/T than it is to mod an M/T to handle the same amount of power reliably.

DSG systems, which is used on newer performance cars can handle a bit more thrashing than conventional A/Ts... but they're expensive as well. I imagine that having these systems rebuilt later on would already cost as much as a new small car.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    hmmm ako grabe abused ko na cguro ang civic fd A/T ko bago pa kasi kaya wala pa prob i should change my driving habits hay.. I also love eating and driving or naka taas ang left paa ko pag traffic haha

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    My 96 accord a/t with 238,000kms. Original pa and nothing broken yet sa a/t. Medyo a little harsh lang ang shifting ngayon compared new. Changed fluid every 25t kms using only honda atf. I believe basta change mo lang with oem atf every 20t to 30t kms, a/t's are as reliable as m/t

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
what's wrong with A/T?