New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Been a while. I miss that Civic.

I guess Honda didn't want people to flood their dealers so they released the letters in batches. It makes sense naman, since nobody wants to bring their car to the dealer and then pipila ka ng pagka haba-haba.
    Call up the LTO baka may registration info sila on that car.

It was a red 1.8 diba? hehe

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    Call up the LTO baka may registration info sila on that car.

It was a red 1.8 diba? hehe
    "Red"?

Maybe... ;)

And I don't think LTO will divulge that info. I mean, they shouldn't... I wouldn't want anyone to find out who I am just from my plate no., at least not without proper authorization from me or even a court order.

Data privacy act and all.

Anyway, the agent I sold it to is a family friend. It will be so much easier to just ask him to pass on the letter or at least inform the current owner of the recall. I'll make sure that he understands my whole "moral responsibility" speech.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I just received my airbag recall letter from Honda.... for a car I've sold 3 years ago. No fault to them of course.

Now, I feel heavily responsible that I should seek out who the current owner is as this is a potential safety concern. I can't have blood on my hands if something bad happens.

I'd be calling the buy & sell agent I sold the car to.

I'm calling out as well to other people who's in a similar situation.... ie. You received a letter about the airbag recall for a vehicle you no longer own. Unless you know for a fact that the car's been wrecked, it is incumbent upon you to pass on this critical message to the current owners.

Do the right thing.
    To date, I haven't received any recall notice but I got both airbag inflators replaced before I sold my FD. That was one of the selling points I made to the buyer since the car was intended for a newbie driver.

On a related topic, most automakers replaced like for like inflators - meaning that the replacement inflators were just as likely to fragment a couple of years down the line. This was deemed acceptable in the near term since the risk of rupture was directly correlated to age and exposure to heat and humidity. For most first owners, they would have to replace the inflators on affected vehicles only once. The risk is when the vehicle remains in service for a long time, either because of the original owner's preference of running cars to the ground or because the vehicle has changed hands. There is a real requirement that these inflators would need to be replaced again after a couple of years. The original owner may have been led to think, as most of us probably have, that the replacement inflators are good for the remaining life of the car. While the second (or succeeding) owner may not even know whether the inflators had been replaced, and if they had been replaced - when. This is particularly true for countries like ours wherein cars have no mandatory scrapping age.

I know Honda replaced a different brand inflator on my FD since I checked the labels and part numbers but I have subsequently read that many other manufacturers were replacing like for like inflators during the height of the recall.

The original Takata inflator is to the left - note the extensive rust formation in the metal casing. This was for a 10-year old car that had covered parking day and night.

4. Join Date
    May 2018
    Mine got fixed only yesterday. Honda City e 2010

5. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Get yours replaced Takata Airbag Problems
    Simulation of Takata Airbag Inflator Explosion | Toyota - YouTube

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Still not over....Unsafe safetyTakata Airbag Problems
    Toyota recalls 1.7M vehicles in N. America to fix Takata airbag problems - Story | WAGA

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    wow! majority na affected pala are top japanese car brand.

Takata Airbag Recall: Everything You Need to Know - Consumer Reports

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by valskie01 View Post
    wow! majority na affected pala are top japanese car brand.

Takata Airbag Recall: Everything You Need to Know - Consumer Reports

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    those that admitted publicly, that is.
    i am confident, there are lesser-known marquees...
    after all, they do supply these things to many other car manufacturers..

9. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    When safety becomes dangerous....Takata Airbag Problems
    Takata air bags claim another life after Arizona crash - Japan Today

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Honda Recalls 1.6M Cars Equipped w/ Takata Airbags

Honda recalling 1.6 million cars to replace Takata airbags. Is your car affected?

Affected Honda models include the 2001-2012 Accord
    2010-2015 Crosstour
    2001-2011 Civic
    2002-2011 CR-V
    2011-2015 CR-Z
    2003-2011 Element
    2007-2014 Fit/Jazz
    2010-2014 Insight
    2002-2004 Odyssey
    2003-2015 Pilot
    2006-2014 Ridgeline
    Acura models include: