New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    May 2007
    3-wire Idle Air Control Valve IACV or Electronic Air Control Valve EACV . It is officially termed as Valve Set Rotary Air Control (pwede rin Rotary Air Control Valve), made by Denso in Japan. It can be easily installed on several 96-00 Honda Civic OBD2 D-series throttle bodies, VTEC or non-VTEC, manual transmission or automatic transmission. It is installed below (horizontal draft-type) or at the side (vertical draft-type) of the throttle body.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Try checking/cleaning your air filter element, baka madumi lang, not enough air is coming in.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I just went to Honda dealer today to have that high RPM checked. After 7 hrs in the lounge, they told me that they checked everything and everything was perfect except for a little adjustment in the RACV. Before they handed me the car, the SA explained that the every start, the RPM will reach above 1k but will eventually go down. He said that's normal which I don't really buy. I have other cars and none of them is like that. Every start, they are always below 1k regardless if it's the first start or morning or any time of the day.

Then as I was driving on the way home, I was observing how the RPM and I feel that nothing has changed except before, it takes more than a minute for it to drop to 1k and 5 mins for it to totally reach 800, but now, when I started the engine in Honda, it went to above 1k (just above the 1k line) and after about 3 seconds, it dropped to 800. It was faster. Back to when I was road; I was observing and I felt that the car is a little bit choked(it feels like the car is so heavy for its engine) and I still noticed that it needs a lot of RPM for a little speed but eventually it will go down as it reaches its range. Like from 1st to 2nd gear, at normal driving and with a light foot, the RPM would still go as high as 2k but it will eventually drop. I felt like I was driving a sports car, minus the "sports", with how the RPM moves.hehe I think if an exactly the same car (all stock) is beside me and decides to give a little adrenalin rush, I feel that I will get left behind given this kind of engine condition.

So they have already checked it and it's still the same, what do you think is wrong with it? Do you think that it's still normal? Honestly, I don't buy what the SA told me that it's already fixed. My concern is with a high RPM, I feel that the engine is more strained that would probably cause overheating, etc, and of course, my FC will be affected too. This weekend, I am planning to have it checked with my trusted mechanic just to have a second opinion. Maybe you're right sir comecum, but I believe they have already done that?(I guess... hopefully)

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's normal for idle to stay high when its cold... especially for newer models that need to warm up quickly due to emissions regulations.

If it feels slightly choked, it's because your idle is now lower, so throttle response and tip-off power are lower. That's a side effect of high idling...the car will feel much more responsive because you need less gas pedal movement to get the car to go.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    It's normal for idle to stay high when its cold... especially for newer models that need to warm up quickly due to emissions regulations.

If it feels slightly choked, it's because your idle is now lower, so throttle response and tip-off power are lower. That's a side effect of high idling...the car will feel much more responsive because you need less gas pedal movement to get the car to go.
    The thing is with mine, after the idling adjustment, every time I start the engine, it will always go above 1k and after about 3 seconds, it will go down to 800. It's always like that every time I start regardless if it ran for an hour and I turn off the engine and restart or it's my first time to start it. And just like the old problem, just a slight tap on the gas pedal, the RPM shoots up as high as 1600 and goes down to 800 and while cruising at around 80, it's a line shy of 3k. Also from a standstill, from 1st to 2nd gear, it could even go as high as 2k just to get a momentum considering that I always drive like that. This problem arose when they replaced the RACV. It's just driving me nuts seeing the RPM needle swinging up and down like a mad man weaving through traffic.

I am going to visit my trusted auto shop today since the boss there drives the same car as mine so it's easier to compare and perhaps fix what's causing it.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Okay... good luck!

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
RPM is high but gradually goes down...