New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Hello, people.

Need your input/s on this one.

I have to ask, because of a recent incident I had.

I own a 2013 Honda Jazz 1.5V AT.

Unknowingly, I turned-off my engine with the shift lever in N (neutral) and park break applied.

To my surprise, I cannot pull-out the key from the ignition.

I thought it was just stuck and starting the engine (then shutting it down) will correct whatever was stuck in the mechanism.

I heard the engine rev and abruptly stop. The car won't start either.

It was only then I noticed that the shift was in N (neutral)—not in P (park).

Only when I placed the shift lever to P (park) that I was able to free the key and to start the engine to life.

Thus, the above question.

Did I fry anything or did I risk frying anything when I tried starting the engine while in N (neutral)?

All ideas are welcome, as i am deeply concerned on what harm I caused to my just 3-weeks old car.

Thanks all for your help, in advance.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    No, it's just a safety feature of automatic cars. Parang reminder na put it in park.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by [archie] View Post
    No, it's just a safety feature of automatic cars. Parang reminder na put it in park.
    My concern is this: if it really is a "safety feature," then why did the ignition still tried to start the engine (only to fail)?

I was rather expecting that, if the idea is that the engine can only be started in P (park), then the entire system should have been non-responsive when I turned the ignition. Why allow a sudden surge of electricity at all, which can harm the electrical system?

Just an idea, coz I know of failsafe mechanisms too (although not so much around cars). And the logic in these things is: if it's not safe, then it should NOT be allowed at all.

Anyone had any trouble with their cars that is attributable to this?

Please bear with me.

Embarrassing but true, my first automatic car. Had driven these babies more than a few times, but never got to the nitty gritties of them.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    dont worry about it

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    what you described is not an incident, it is normal.

you worry too much. if you continue with that habit you will die before you reach 60.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    unless your car was made in china, i would be concerned. your car was made with your mistakes in mind. it was made almost idiot proof

7. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Read the User's Manual and you may find the answer in there.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    The only time the starter will NOT crank is when the shifter is on any of the forward or reverse gears. It should start in either P or N.

What you've experienced (cranking in N but the engine did not start) is not uncommon. As I've noticed in my brother's 09 Jazz 1.5 is that the engine sometimes takes a bit more cranking than usual before it starts. That said, it should't matter if you are in P or N.

If you still encounter continuous cranking, check if the immobilizer indicator is blinking.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    what you described is not an incident, it is normal.

you worry too much. if you continue with that habit you will die before you reach 60.
    Ha ha ha ha. I had a good laugh with this.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    unless your car was made in china, i would be concerned. your car was made with your mistakes in mind. it was made almost idiot proof
    The Jazz is made in Thailand, right?! Is this good or bad?

I'm just wondering whether my car hasn't met an idiot that is me yet. He he he he

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
How fragile is the electrical circuitry of the 2013 Jazz Automatic?