New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    this discussion will never end.. buy an abrams instead nalang!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    In your theoretical jeepney crash test, I'd still venture to say that you'd have a better chance of surviving it in a CR-V because the CR-V sits higher and the point of impact from the jeepney's bumper will better center on its doors (and the impact beams). Also the impact forces will occur near your (very strong) hip/pelvic area instead of your more vulnerable upper body.

The CR-V also has more crush space on its sides owing to its width.

No idea if local units have side airbags, though.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    + 1 Otep
    You would be safer in CR-V because it rides higher.

Kaya nga yung mga pick-ups in ANCAP crash tests are given a good in side impacts without even crash testing because of the towering ride height.

Dapat talaga standard yung side at curtain airbags para sa mga sedans. Sa alam ko wala pang sedan na walang side and curtain airbags na nakarecieve ng good ratings in NHTSA side impact tests.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    In your theoretical jeepney crash test, I'd still venture to say that you'd have a better chance of surviving it in a CR-V because the CR-V sits higher and the point of impact from the jeepney's bumper will better center on its doors (and the impact beams). Also the impact forces will occur near your (very strong) hip/pelvic area instead of your more vulnerable upper body.

Ic. So my CRV stays.

Say. Supposed I bulletproof my CRV. Would the bulletproofing makes it even more impact resistant that it can tear through any other vehicles or would the process make it more vulnerable. What do you think?

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    When they bullet proof a vehicle, kevlar is placed in bet. the doors, body panels, etc..to absorb or deflect bullets. Window glasses are replaced with inches thick plastic/glass laminate. So I think you get the picture.

The bullet proofed CRV will definitely be more resistant and offer a higher survival rate when shot upon, say during a light ambush attack. However, but it will not be any better when it comes to ramming other cars.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Pagdating siguro sa crash safety mas less safe kung bulletproof kotse mo. Kasi longer stopping distance due to the increased weather. Tapos, tataas din yung center of gravity mo due to heavy windows kaya handling is compromised. And then sobrang tigas ng bulletproof windows. Pagna-broadside ka baka tumama ulo mo sa windows at pwede tong mabasag (yung ulo mo).

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post

I guess that if all sedans like city, civics, altis, etc. are faced out and all of us used SUV. Yearly accidental death can be lessened by more than half. If there is one million victims yearly. 500,000 can be saved if those sedans are removed from the street.

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    ^Actually if everybody simply used sedans instead and all tall vehicles are phase out (like SUV, CUV, PUJ, delivery van, bus, trucks, etc...) then there is the possibility that the injury rate from collisions can actually be minimized.
    Last edited by number001; May 19th, 2008 at 10:39 AM.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    ^^Oo nga and traffic and pollution reduced as well... SUV's are more gas guzzlers than sedans so to be honest sila pa nga ang dapat tangallin sa daan.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    If you do get the CRV, make sure you get side curtain airbags. That prevents your arms from flailing outwards during a roll over, considering that the CRV has a higher roll over rate than the Civic or City.

The problem with the Civic or City scenario versus a Jeepney is that the PUJ will have a higher point of impact, this is where the crash compatibility issue comes in. The point of strength in the Civic or City is the junction of the floor beam and the B pillar. The PUJ clearly overrides that so the reinforcing structures have to bear greater forces.

If you bulletproof your CRV, the added weight can cause your car to roll over more than it would without the added armor. Plus, in terms of active safety, you need to beef up your engine a bit to get the same performance due to the increased weight. Otherwise, your active safety margin is lessened significantly, because you will be driving a heftier vehicle.

Also note that in a head on collision, the Civic and City will be riding lower than the PUJ, which means the safety features like crumple zones will be overridden. This means that the crumple zones cannot protect you as much due to the overriding safety features. Also note that the PUJ will have a stiffer frame (just assume so, rather than assume it will crumple easily) so chances are, it will use your car's crumple zones in a collision and that effectively forces your car to absorb more energy than a collision between two cars with good crumple zones.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Front & Side Crush Zones