New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 15 of 433 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Yep, most likely the same R18 VTEC engine on the Civic FD and FB. Mayrun na ba local Earth Dreams version ng R18? Sana yun na lang ilagay nila. The new local base Accord already has the Earth Dreams K24 engine.

It is a good approach by Honda as there were recalls already on the base 2.0L models of the new Civic in the US. The base trim Civic is sporting an updated version of the R20 engine (used to power the previous gen TOTL 2.0L model) but there have been a couple of issues reported about the engine catching fire.

I don't see our local models to be sporting paddle shifters unless Honda plans to roll out a global refreshed model with paddle shifters for the 1.5L turbo model.
    The base trim in the US has a 2.0 Earth Dreams DI engine derived from K series engines which have DOHC. R series are all SOHCs. If they make use of R18s in the base trim, they'd be best paired with a manual transmission, not with a CVT. I hope they could fix the recall which was more of a quality control issue rather than a design issue and offer them in manual. That would make more sense if you are not after the turbo version. Now a turbo and a stick, that would be something else.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteb16a View Post
    The base trim in the US has a 2.0 Earth Dreams DI engine derived from K series engines which have DOHC. R series are all SOHCs. If they make use of R18s in the base trim, it is best paired with a manual transmission, not with a CVT. I hope they could fix the recall which was more of a quality control issue rather than a design issue and offer them in manual. That would make more sense if you are not after the turbo version. Now a turbo and a stick, that would be something else.
    Asean region will only get the 1.8 since the engine supplier only makes that.

The 2.0 earth dreams engine is only available in some areas because its manufactured in that same region.

The 1.8 is very good imo especially now that its matched with the cvt. The short gearing will help alot.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    Asean region will only get the 1.8 since the engine supplier only makes that.

The 2.0 earth dreams engine is only available in some areas because its manufactured in that same region.

The 1.8 is very good imo especially now that its matched with the cvt. The short gearing will help alot.
    Honda should retire their R series imo and replace them with their Earth Dreams DI. R series are built for economy and its quite dificult to extract performance out of them, unlike the K series. Now, a 1.8 Civic CVT will be comparable to a Sylphy 1.8 CVT in real world performance maybe just a little quicker than the heavier HRV IMO. My FD 1.8 MT runs short of breath at higher rpms where my B16a SiR is just beginning to come alive and thats the difference a DOHC engine makes. Thats why a 2.0 DOHC with a stick makes more sense to me than a 1.8 SOHC with a CVT.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    It would be nice but....if the 2.0 is sold here it would be or might be more expensive than the 1.5T but they already offer that.

The compact market in our region is a dying segment. I dont think Honda will spend much in this segment. They will use their new 1.5T and their older 1.8 to satisfy the local market. Will they setup an 2.0L engine factory here in our region? I highly doubt it. The hr-v is doing well with the 1.8L

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    2.0 MT, how many did that sell? Close to nothing.

1.8 AT, sold thousands. CVT = better FC = more come-on for buyers, so 1.8 CVT could be successful.

Very few buyers care about performance. The Civic is already a bottom dweller. A 2.0 stickshift won't bring them any sales so it makes no business sense.

In any case, I don't see how a 1.1M civic will sell. 1.3M turbo might be a halo car, and it's mighty quick despite the CVT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    It would be nice but....if the 2.0 is sold here it would be or might be more expensive than the 1.5T but they already offer that.

The compact market in our region is a dying segment. I dont think Honda will spend much in this segment. They will use their new 1.5T and their older 1.8 to satisfy the local market. Will they setup an 2.0L engine factory here in our region? I highly doubt it. The hr-v is doing well with the 1.8L
    In other regions, the lower trim or cheaper Civic model sports the new 2.0L engine. The 1.5L turbo is now the TOTL model. It kinds of short-changed previous generation TOTL models which sports the older version of that same 2.0L engine.

Honda would be hesitant to do the same thing within our region. The R18-equipped Civic FDs and FBs was a very good seller for them so there is n reason why not to continue selling it. The new CVT tranny will be a boon of sorts, much like what they did with the new City/Jazz.

Jut703 got it right to say that it is hard for manufacturers to sell compact cars locally with 2.0L engines mated to an MT tranny. The Civic FD 2.0 MT was a good car but they say HondaPH only sold about 200 units of it. Mitsubishi also had a Lancer EX GT model but it is a rare occurrence compared to the CVT-equipped MX and GT-A models. The Ford Focus 2.0L TDCi MT (2007-2008) also had lethargic sales, as well as the first local Jettas with its 2.0L turbo diesel MT.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Honda used to be a step ahead of the competition when it comes to engine technology. They used to make cars built and dictated by engineers and not by so called “bean counters”. They’ve become complacent and started doing what everybody else does.

I’m not saying that the R series engine isn’t good, but I’m not saying they are good either. They are just average in terms of performance. If Honda wants to win my hard earned cash for a new Civic to retire my SiR, they should at least slap in an improved version (improve the torque) of the R18 or R20 engine for the base model, or better yet offer a MT 1.5T...but that’s just me. Recalling the R18 for Civic duties is again a lazy move in my opinion. I just love what Mazda did to their Skyactiv line of ICE…now, that is engineering and uniformity. Yes, very few people will care about performance, but for me a loyal Honda fan, I want them to go back to their racy roots and not just make boring cars that goes from A to B... an appliance for that matter. Let them be reminded of what their founder Soichiro Honda said, “if Honda does not race, there is no Honda”. I just hope their new President , Hachigo-san can turn the tides.. Go Honda Go!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteb16a View Post
    Honda used to be a step ahead of the competition when it comes to engine technology.
    The 1.5T is one of the best in its segment.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Honda is still selling MT models of the Civic and Accord in the US. As per reviews, the 2016 low end trim with the updated 2.0L engine paired to a 6MT offers decent performance for a low price. The Accord Sport (Earth Dreams K24 with 6MT) is raved by car enthusiasts as a joy to drive.

Honda has long been not much of a performer in auto racing. Long gone are the heydays of Honda in auto racing (back when Senna was still dominating in Formula1). Their current foray into Formula1 was a disaster and we have yet to see how they perform this year.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The 1.5T is one of the best in its segment.
    Honda's 1.5L turbo engine (174 PS, 230 Nm) may not be as potent as the Ford 1.5L Ecoboost (180 PS, 240 Nm) but Honda made some incredible weight savings on the new Civic. The new Civic weighs about the same as the Civic FB (1300 kg) so it is one of the lightest in its class. Some tests in the US found the new Civic 1.5L turbo CVT to be quicker (0 to 60mp) than the previous-gen Civic Si Coupe with a K24 engine (204 hp). That speaks a lot about the performance of the new Civic.