New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Try to test drive both the Lynx and the City (or Jazz) with at least 4 people inside, 5 is even better than go over steep sloping structures (overpasses and parking in Edsa Shang).

I bet you would re-think getting a Lynx.

And a 1.5 would start to look more attractive over a 1.3.

Now look at the Jazz and fit 5 people inside. Do the same for the City and the Lynx. In the Jazz you might want to sing .... "bulilit bulilit..ang liit liit"

Good luck chosing your car.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolHack View Post
    Try to test drive both the Lynx and the City (or Jazz) with at least 4 people inside, 5 is even better than go over steep sloping structures (overpasses and parking in Edsa Shang).

I bet you would re-think getting a Lynx.

And a 1.5 would start to look more attractive over a 1.3.

Now look at the Jazz and fit 5 people inside. Do the same for the City and the Lynx. In the Jazz you might want to sing .... "bulilit bulilit..ang liit liit"

Good luck chosing your car.
    I don't see the point of this post. Have you even sat in or driven a Jazz before?

If you're going to complain about acceleration upslope when fully laden, the City and Jazz 1.3 don't have problems with that - especially on a curving driveway such as at the Shangri-La Plaza mall parking.

Granted, if you straighten said driveway then the Hondas suffer, but it's still doable.

If you're talking about space, it's only on the outside that the Jazz and City look small. People keep wondering how Honda managed to free all the space inside my Jazz's shell. I have no problem fitting five people with space to spare - everyone has enough elbow room and leg room.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The only time an EFI 1.3 will struggle with a full load is if that full load just happens to be several construction workers and their tools. My brother-in-law uses an Avanza to go to their construction sites in Tagaytay. The car has to be revved, but it makes it.

But for a sedan or a hatchback, a full load with a 1.3 is nothing. I used to hit 190 km/h with my 1.3 Sentra. With 4 on board. On the Skyway. And that was a carbureted 1.3, not an EFI.

-

Still don't see the big deal in resale. The car will simply not have the same resale value after five more years as it has now. You're still paying more for the more expensive car, and still losing 50-100k in resale over the next three years. You'll be able to sell it for more, but you bought it for more, in the first place.

That said, a Jazz is a good choice secondhand. The choice between that and the Lynx is whether you want more elbow room (Lynx) or more legroom (Jazz).

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The only time an EFI 1.3 will struggle with a full load is if that full load just happens to be several construction workers and their tools. My brother-in-law uses an Avanza to go to their construction sites in Tagaytay. The car has to be revved, but it makes it.

But for a sedan or a hatchback, a full load with a 1.3 is nothing. I used to hit 190 km/h with my 1.3 Sentra. With 4 on board. On the Skyway. And that was a carbureted 1.3, not an EFI.

-

Still don't see the big deal in resale. The car will simply not have the same resale value after five more years as it has now. You're still paying more for the more expensive car, and still losing 50-100k in resale over the next three years. You'll be able to sell it for more, but you bought it for more, in the first place.

That said, a Jazz is a good choice secondhand. The choice between that and the Lynx is whether you want more elbow room (Lynx) or more legroom (Jazz).

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    If I will include a 3rd option on my list, what unit would you guys suggest? My budget is 320k, What's the newest model 2nd hand car can i get? Fuel efficiency, space, low maintenance cost, and safety are my top priorities. My wife suggested getting a brand new suzuki celerio, but still i dont want to think of the monthly amortization, that's why I'm getting a used car. And it's my 1st car so maybe after 3 years I'll be selling it for a brand new one.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Lynx and the Sentra are probably the only compact cars that reasonably fit that budget within the three to four year old range. And the Mitsubishi Lancer. At this age, you won't have major problems yet... though you might start experiencing electronics issues by the time you want to sell, as the cars will all be around seven to eight years of age. Such issues are, like I said in regards to the Lynx, relatively cheap to fix... and, sometimes, require nothing more than a spritz of electrical contact cleaner.

The 1.3 engine is rather small for the N15 Sentra... and the Sentra's rear seat is a bit small. The 1.3 Lynx is peppy, and fuel economy is decent as long as it's MT. I don't particularly like Lancers, but there's nothing inherently wrong with that generation of the car. Some people think the suspension is too sensitive, but they say the same thing about the Lynx... and the Lynx hasn't struck me as more prone to suspension wear than my previous Sentra.

Get a manual transmission. And get one that doesn't grind gears. You will likely experience more small problems with a secondhand manual transmission compared to an automatic, but better small problems with cheap solutions than a possible big problem (transmission failure) with an expensive replacement cost.

An Optra might also fit the budget... but I wouldn't suggest it. Too guzzly. Parts hard to source... and... well... it's a Daewoo.

It'll be hard to find Jazzes and Cities within your budget and age range, but it's probably possible to get a Vios. Only problem is... they're tiny. Much like the old 98-00 Honda City... they're great little cars, nice engines, good economy and all... but not very good for family use.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    It'll be hard to find Jazzes and Cities within your budget and age range, but it's probably possible to get a Vios. Only problem is... they're tiny. Much like the old 98-00 Honda City... they're great little cars, nice engines, good economy and all... but not very good for family use.
    I had a 1999 Honda City 1.5 (the so-called "SX8" chassis) for 6 years. That rode better than any Vios or Jazz IMO. It had long-travel struts all around, which is still a better setup vs. the torsion beam rear ends that most cheap cars have today (even the new Corollas have torsion beams out back).

I would wholeheartedly recommend one if you can find a unit in good condition. Visibility is terrific (I daresay better than ANY other car available), the power/fuel efficiency balance is just right, and while the seats and driving position aren't ideal, they're quite livable. I'd say space also isn't a problem - it approximates 90% of the interior room of the 2003-07 GD6/8 City.

Used examples would go from 150k-250k if my guess is right. Good luck
    Last edited by Type 100; July 29th, 2009 at 06:56 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    hi, im driving right now 1.3 idsi 06 city. my dad,s car before was lynx, the 1st generation lynx ghia. Im not solved with lynx. notorious talaga sa kalampag, medyo takaw pa, well thats 1600, hirap dn piyesa unless you go to casa. i dont know if the newer models has improved.

I am also a family man, with baby.honda city's leg and headroom is not bad at all, trunkspace is very large and deep, sa laki, di ko maabot ang gamit ko pag nasa kaloob looban. 2006 body is not bad as it looks, just fit it with a nice 15'' rims drop 1.5'', pde na. simple lang.pogi na din. and thats for better handling also, alanganin kasi yun stock rims nya, maliit na payat for a tall car, kya nag palit ako ng bigger rims.

for a full tank (32-35L) i can run an ave of 500++ KMS, combination of city and long driving. mag 4 yrs na honda ko sakin and 117,000 ang odo reading nya,every day car ko, ratrat din sa byahe, so far wala pa kalampag. all power, superb pa din ang A/C.

you might also want to consider other brand. vios is also a nice car. also consider safety and comfort. thanks and goodluck

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Like I said, the 1.6 AT is a notorious guzzler... and I really wouldn't recommend the AT, but an MT LSi is another matter, altogether.

And there are many Banawe shops carrying Lynx parts, already.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    almost convinced na ko with honda city 1.3S '05 model, i can raise maybe 380k until jan next year, Jan or Feb '10 pa namn target purchase ko. Sa ngayon around 400k pa ata ang model na 'to. Sana by Jan pasok na sa budget. I understand dapat may at least 20k na budget for repairs. Important pa rin resale value, since benta ko din 'to after 3 years siguro. Any other options? Ano po common problem with Honda 1.3S '05? Or with Honda cars in general?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
1st car: '05 Honda City i-DSI 1.3 m/t or '05 Ford Lynx 1.3 m/t?