New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Newbie here. Help po mga auto guru, i'm currently searching for my first car. 2nd hand lang muna since 380k lang budget. End of this year or Jan next year pa naman target date, pero im studying na my options. After reading several threads and reviews from different sites, i've shortlisted '05 model cars Honda City 1.3 i-DSI and Ford Lynx 1.3, both m/t. Ano po pros and cons of these cars? Fuel consumption, maintenance cost and syempre porma ang priorities ko. Im also considering my life style, of regular provincial trips with my wife and kid, and maybe daily trips to the office in Libis and back home to Calamba. My wife wants the City, but I love the Lynx. Kaya lang balita ko naghihilamos ng gas ang Ford.
    Other options are welcome.
    Help po, thanks.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxvels View Post
    Newbie here. Help po mga auto guru, i'm currently searching for my first car. 2nd hand lang muna since 380k lang budget. End of this year or Jan next year pa naman target date, pero im studying na my options. After reading several threads and reviews from different sites, i've shortlisted '05 model cars Honda City 1.3 i-DSI and Ford Lynx 1.3, both m/t. Ano po pros and cons of these cars? Fuel consumption, maintenance cost and syempre porma ang priorities ko. Im also considering my life style, of regular provincial trips with my wife and kid, and maybe daily trips to the office in Libis and back home to Calamba. My wife wants the City, but I love the Lynx. Kaya lang balita ko naghihilamos ng gas ang Ford.
    Other options are welcome.
    Help po, thanks.
    kung everyday mo gamitin honda city pero kung sa porma panalong panalo ang ford lynx..
    gamit ko sir ford lynx ghia 1.6 2003mdl 9km/L city driving 12km to 13km/L long driving wla naman naging sakit ng ulo nasa gumagamit na din siguro..

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    You can also try looking at Honda Jazz 1.3L M/T. Styling is very good, sporty look. Fuel consumption is very good as well.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    the only fords i truly like are those with a V6, V8, or Duratorq engine... all the rest look blah to me.

i would go for the city. proven, excellent badge, good resale. i'm sure you'll be thinking about upgrading within the next few years when your kids multiply .

driven properly, AUVs are also, for the most part, fuel efficient, given the size of the engines and the mass and people inside it's designed to carry. reasonably comfortable ride din naman. you may want to check out the offerings din.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    between the city and lynx 1.3, go for the city. lynx 1.3 is lsi which means no power windows,airbags,foglights etc. kung all stock ito.

pero with your budget why not go for a 2.0 ford lynx rs. ok ang porma and fc is 8-9km/l or better

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    [SIZE=3]HONDA CITY WHY?

[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=3]Better resale[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=3]Better FC[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=3]Lower maintenance cost[/SIZE]

There`s a downside though:

• Ugly looking exterior
    • Small
    • Slower than the Lynx.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    thanks guys.

So between the city and the lynx, its a decsion between fc and power, resale value and porma.

Any other comments and suggestions are welcome po.

Nakita ko nga lynx rs, wow sa porma. headlights pa lang ok na.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The City has more headroom and a bigger trunk, but the Lynx is the more comfortable car.

The Lynx rides better, handles better, has nicer steering and nicer seats. It also has nicer interior plastics and materials than the City (Honda City plastics are pretty cheap).

So the City has better resale value, so what? That means you're going to be paying more for your secondhand City than you would for the Lynx. A 1.3 LSi should cost you much less than 380k... maybe 250-300, depending on the year.

The only major problems with the Lynx are the automatic transmission (which you're not buying) and the electronic sensors on the older models. Newer Lynxes have upgraded sensors which seem to be lasting longer (we're not getting as many inquiries about the cam position sensor issue... which is an easy fix, at about 3.5k for the sensor... the Honda Civic EP had similar issues, which moved Honda Philippines to issue a recall on that part).

Only other possible problems would be your usual clutch, brakes and suspension. The Lynx is notorious for developing "kalampag" when driven over rough roads, but the Honda City has similar "kalampag" issues with the bushings... which means that you have to check whatever you are looking at buying carefully for signs of poor treatment and maintenance.

I'd get the Lynx. With the change left over from the purchase, you'll have lots left over for maintenance, should you ever need it.

-

Of course, if you're open to looking at other cars... the Honda Jazz is a pretty exciting thing... easier to dress up than the frumpy City and also more appealing than the Lynx. Lots of aftermarket toys for it, it has the wonderful rear cargo area (over 1000 liters with the seats down... you can carry a ref or several 40" TVs back there!) and, if you get the 1.5 MT, the handling is wonderful, despite the woeful electric steering.
    Last edited by niky; July 25th, 2009 at 03:25 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    *TS: Is the Ford Lynx RS out of your budget? Well just asking though.....

BTW, since you have a wife I would assume that you have children. You may be 3 or 4 in the family, a sub-compact car could fit you, a honda jazz I presume

Other alternatives could be a corolla altis, toyota vios.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Go with a Jazz m/t if you can find one, resale value is important since I presume you have a growing family and given a few years you'll upgrade to something bigger and when you trade-in/sell that car youll appreciate that resale value to buy the next...
    Last edited by blue_gambit; July 25th, 2009 at 07:57 PM. Reason: words

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
1st car: '05 Honda City i-DSI 1.3 m/t or '05 Ford Lynx 1.3 m/t?