New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    If we expect cops to be clean...can we say the same about ourselves? truly...I write this thinking of the guy beeping from behind me as i wait for the light to turn green in the middle of the night.
    medyo ot but pretty much the same as when you're travelling at max speed limit and there's this car behind you honking or flashing his lights...

I've only had two violations in my decades of driving. that's equal to 2 tickets also..

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    not me. i'd rather get a ticket (kung mali ako) or fight it (kung tama ako).

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by e2fee
    Interesting. What do you think makes the people there more disciplined than in Philippines?
    Having lived in Yangon for 5 years ( amore primitive country compared to here but they seem more obedient to the rules. Even stick to their lanes and follow lights) has led me to believe that somehow we have started to violate the laws more and more and that has led to a spiralling down of discipline.

Read a book called the Tipping Point. The broken window/glass theory has it that (and paraphrase the loosely) in neighborhoods na may building na may broken glass there seemed to be a upsurge in crime rates. This was in NYC ata. Even unrinating in public was seen to have a corelate to rise in crime. Simple theory. If we see one person get away with something (even a petty crime) bigger crimes start to happen. Maybe people thinking kung nakaisa yung isa ba t di ako. Even things like jaywalking, littering etc contribute to it. Kahit graffiti.

So when one cop gets bribed this affects the entire system so to speak.

In Yangon, there was an innate respect for the other individual. Part of their Buddhist thing of no real repentance. But you pay if you do something bad...regardless. So don't do bad period. Wala ng confess confess like other beliefs. Something like that
    Last edited by midinite; July 28th, 2006 at 01:25 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I'm based in the US pero nandito ako sa Manila for a few months. Back there people follow the rules because they will get caught and the fine is much more expensive. Plus, may record na sa lisensiya mo, your insurance will increase for 3 years, and you still have to attend traffic school para mabura sa record mo kung papayag sila.

I will never bribe a cop, here in Manila in my opinion, it's not worth it. Ikaw na nga yung aabusuhin, ikaw pa yung mag aabot ng lagay para lang makalusot.

I was stopped sa Cubao going to Aurora, sa taas ng underpass (where lots of jeeps and busses pass). Reason was I beat the red light daw, pero yellow pa lang naman. I said if he cannot give me proof that I beat the red light, I will not surrender my license. He did not hint of any bribe, which was good, at least. He insisted that I beat the light, it's a chicken and egg story. I decided to just leave him pero his assistant stopped me, starting the argument again but he could not get anything out of me. So he took the license plate down, and I left. I doubt he'll do anything about it.

Truth was, other vehicles were right beside me when we went past when it was still a yellow light. Tapos magulo pa kung saan mag stop dapat. He was wearing the yellow uniform, whatever that means.

Is it a necessary evil? No.
    Does it feed fuel to the fire of corruption? Yes.

No solution to this, I've realized it's anybody's call when it comes to the law here in Manila. Be on the lookout, maraming nagtatagong MMDA kung san san.

Make sure you know what your violation is first. Assert yourself if you know you're right, then ask for proof that you violated something. When I asked for proof to that MMDA officer, he could not say anything but just repeated, "Sir akin na lisensiya niyo". May work for you too.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige
    Make sure you know what your violation is first. Assert yourself if you know you're right, then ask for proof that you violated something. When I asked for proof to that MMDA officer, he could not say anything but just repeated, "Sir akin na lisensiya niyo". May work for you too.
    Got a question. I have only lived in the U.S. as a kid and been there on holidays. Would you, out of curiousity also question an American Law Enforcement Officer? Just wondering.

Or are you more vehement with Filipino Law Enforcement Officers?

No double standard? I have seen it on occassion with returnees who lambast the people in the country of origin. Not just here, but in other countries of underdeveloped stature with locals who have emigrated to the developed world. Be it Asian, African or even Latin America ( I grew up there)

Just an honest question. Not meant to attack anyone in particular.

Anyone?

6. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    ask ko lng po magkano ang fee pag swerving. I can only say one thing madaming bobong mga pulis(trafic enforcers) hinuli tatay ko swerving daw 3 lane road nasagitna sya at sa 3rd line may kumat at kumaliwa pa imagine tatay ko pa ang swerving hindi yng cumat ay ayun pinag mumura ng tatay ko yng pulis kng hindi lng kasama tito ko ewan ko kng ano ng yari walang masabi yng pulis eh.
    MAGKANO PO ULIT FEE PAG SWERVING?

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I actually decided to stop bribign them dahil nga na realiaze ko na lalolong lumalala sila pag ganun. One time sa may Nagtahan, hinuli ako mga 6 am for running a red light. 2 cops dressed in grey (anong klaseng cop yun! di pnp, di mapsa, di mmda!) aboard a motorbike pulled me over (baleh hinabol pa nila ako) so I pulled over.

Sabi nung isa "Pano yan, reckless driving ginawa mo eh..red light yun"

I reply with "Oo nga, pano na yan?"

he goes "Mahirap yan, magseseminar ka pa, sa sta. mesa mo pa kukunin lisensya mo"

I reply "Hindi ba dapat bayaran ko na lang sa bangko yugn fine? Kaka anounce lang ni Bayani Fernando ha"

Sabi ba naman niya "Hindi, kelangan kasi muna namin UBUSIN NG MGA LUMANG TICKETA bago gamitin yung mga pwedeng bayaran sa bangko"

Medyo napa tameme ako dyan, bullsheot na kasi hirit niya eh. Sabi ko na lang "O sige ticketan mo na lang ako"

To which he replies "O sige, wag na lang" Sabay sinensyas ako na umalis na.

WTF diba! HEhe anyway napa tigil ako sa stop light uli and katabi ko yung 2 mokong na naka motor na iyo. You know what they do? THey run through the red light and both of them have NO HELMET on.

Cops here are mostly just a bunch of morons. Kaya wala respeto sa kanila ang mga tao.

Sa US naman talagang rerespetuhin mo mga pulis..why? Because they treat you properly kahit ikaw ang may ginawang mali. 5 Years ago, my tito was arrested for domestic violence...the cops spoke to him like he was customer and they were waiters! Bilib talaga ako sa pulis ng USA. Oh, and bihira ka makakakita ng pulis sa Tate na kumpolkumpol sa ilalim ng puno/flyover/waiting shed na naghihintay na huhuliin na motorist. Most of the cops I see are on patrol providing assistance to the citizens.

8. FrankDrebin Guest
    For me, depende pa rin. Usually tinatakbuhan ko na most especially yung huli-dap/bantay sa redlight lalo na sa A. Bonifacio, Taft cor Quirino, ect., dahil kotong lang habol nyan. Madalas naman sa may Quiapo area kapag tinopak yung Manila's Finest(Croc) na illegal parking, it would be beneficial in my part to give in to their demands simple because istorbo lang at pahihirapan ka lang ng mga kolokoy na pulis kapag tinubos mo na yung license mo at baka walain pa.

OT: Hi sir midinite! Musta na? Available pa?

9. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    I did bribe an enforcer a couple of times when i was new to driving. I was ignorant then and easily intimidated with threats of what i have to go through in claiming back my license. What with the hassles and lost time at work, something which i couldn't afford to go through at that time.
    Never knew tsikot.com existed that time, and no Metrobank payment available.

Today, would i bribe a cop? My default answer would be NO. But i won't say i will NEVER EVER again. For me, case to case basis decision. Is the officer from MMDA, MAPSA or other local traffic enforcer? Am i truly at fault or was it just a huli-dap? Am i in Metro Manila, far away provinces, or abroad? Can i afford to go thru all the hoops in claiming my license?

In the last few years, i have not bribed a cop. Last time i was flagged down, i reasoned it out that i was right, and no violation was commited. He let me go without a bribe/ticket.

Is that a necessary evil? Sometimes.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jasprit
    ask ko lng po magkano ang fee pag swerving. I can only say one thing madaming bobong mga pulis(trafic enforcers) hinuli tatay ko swerving daw 3 lane road nasagitna sya at sa 3rd line may kumat at kumaliwa pa imagine tatay ko pa ang swerving hindi yng cumat ay ayun pinag mumura ng tatay ko yng pulis kng hindi lng kasama tito ko ewan ko kng ano ng yari walang masabi yng pulis eh.
    MAGKANO PO ULIT FEE PAG SWERVING?
    p500 multa sa swerving

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Who has never bribed a cop? Is that a necessary evil?