New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: When it rains, do you use your lights as courtesy to other drivers?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

81 98.78%
  • No

1 1.22%
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_gilmore
    park lights ako kung di ganung kababa visibility.
    pero pag medyo limited na, i turn on my driving lights.

pero pagka-gabi and limited visibility na aside from the headlights and driving lights, i turn also my hazards para makita ako nung nasa likod ko. dark colored oto eh.
    yep, same.

nag hazard ako one time nung pumunta kami ng baguio...wala na makita as in zero visibility in 5-6 meters, foggy plus paulan-ulan...

wala naman akong nakikitang masama kung gamitin ang hazard... siguro nga, overacting lang yung iba.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    U.S. style din ako. Headlights whenever wipers are on

Or basta hindi ko na mabasa ng malinaw ang sulat sa gauges, ilaw na.

Kapag tamad ako, pagkastart pa lang ng sasakyan naka-ilaw na. hehehe.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda
    That's what the hazard lights are for... to let people know that you are stopped in the shoulder.
    In thick fog the visibilty of your lights is not the same, what you consider to be flashing lights could also be interpreted as lights that appear and disappear because of the fog. Steady light does not always appear as steady light in thick fog where you can't even see more than 5-10 feet in front of you, so if a light appears a driver is more than likely to follow it thinking they are following traffic. See this news article about fog accidents.

"When it comes to weather in some parts of the San Joaquin Valley this weekend, fog is the biggest concern.

Karen Bailey of Brentwood and her family were skiing and got a look at what their drive home would be like Friday. "We all skiied to the top of Big Bear and stood looking over the valley engulfed in fog," said Bailey.

Many drivers are regarding fog with new respect after a huge pileup this week in Kern County. One person was killed in the series of crashes that involved 77 vehicles on Thursday.

The California Highway Patrol advises drivers to keep headlights on low beam so the fog doesn't reflect the light, reduce speed, avoid changing lanes, and to roll down the window to listen for traffic. Officers also say that if drivers need to pull over, they should turn off their lights so other cars don't follow."
    Last edited by redorange; July 14th, 2006 at 05:04 PM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange
    In thick fog the visibilty of your lights is not the same, what you consider to be flashing lights could also be interpreted as lights that appear and disappear because of the fog. Steady light does not always appear as steady light in thick fog where you can't even see more than 5-10 feet in front of you, so if a light appears a driver is more than likely to follow it thinking they are following traffic. See this news article about fog accidents.

"When it comes to weather in some parts of the San Joaquin Valley this weekend, fog is the biggest concern.

Karen Bailey of Brentwood and her family were skiing and got a look at what their drive home would be like Friday. "We all skiied to the top of Big Bear and stood looking over the valley engulfed in fog," said Bailey.

Many drivers are regarding fog with new respect after a huge pileup this week in Kern County. One person was killed in the series of crashes that involved 77 vehicles on Thursday.

The California Highway Patrol advises drivers to keep headlights on low beam so the fog doesn't reflect the light, reduce speed, avoid changing lanes, and to roll down the window to listen for traffic. Officers also say that if drivers need to pull over, they should turn off their lights so other cars don't follow."
    yep. there is no harm using and maximizing our car's features. ;)

5. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Yup I turn on my headlights and driving lamps as well, pag parang gabi na and heavy downpour I turn on the rearfog, I don't use the hazard lights unless it's an emergency or may sira.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Guilty!!! :D IMO, using the hazzard light is another way of telling the driver behind you that you have slowed down because of a sudden downpour, yun tipong sobrang lakas you can't see the parked/brake lights of the vehicle infront of you. I think it's better that the driver behind you realizes what you are doing than suddenly be surprise to see your brake light just a few feet away. I always assume that if I can't see clearly the car infront me (with fogs and all), that goes too for the car behind me too. In our lahar trail and dusty trail parking lights are ineffective, only the hazzard lights are visible, well that is a different topic naman. Drive safely guys.
    Last edited by afrasay; July 14th, 2006 at 05:34 PM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange

But if you turn off your lights on the side of the road with minimum visibility, others following might not see you right away compared to having the hazard lights on. Maybe it really is a case to case basis depending on the situation.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Djerms
    But if you turn off your lights on the side of the road with minimum visibility, others following might not see you right away compared to having the hazard lights on. Maybe it really is a case to case basis depending on the situation.
    That is why you are on the side of the road and not on the road so cars will not be following you. But, if your lights are on they will assume you are still on the road and not on the side of it. Keep in mind when I say side of the road I mean the dirt not the paved area.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    kapag umuulan headlights na ginagamit ko. parklights kasi mahirap makita sa rear view mirror at side mirrors.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Djerms
    But if you turn off your lights on the side of the road with minimum visibility, others following might not see you right away compared to having the hazard lights on.
    Baka ang logic nila dun is, when you see lights in front of you, most likely you're on the road/pavement, so you don't have to bother with whatever's on the right side since shoulder nga yun. So to be sure that you don't collide into anything that's on the road shoulder, just follow the lights in front.

I still think it's odd; IMO, sometimes it makes sense to make the shoulder visible by using the hazards. When the vehicle in front suddenly flashes a turn signal in thick fog, and I can't see the road shoulder on my right, how can I tell whether if the car is just pulling over or about to make a necessary turn?
    Last edited by Bogeyman; July 14th, 2006 at 06:16 PM.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
When it rains, do you use your lights?