New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Imagine the horror in driving when you see a U turn slot every so often! Traffic, congestion...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    A few weeks ago, I was driving along Libis (the side heading to Tiendesitas). When I reached the U-turn slot for Eastwood (the one near Starbucks), a 'shuttle service' Hyundai Grace decided to counterflow into the u-turn slot. Maybe he saw that a small sedan is making the u-turn and tried to force himself through.

So what I did was pull up beside the sedan with all my lights on and my horn on full press to block the Grace. Then another Pajero also pulled up behind me and did the same. The Lincoln Navigator behind him also blocked the slot.

The driver of the Grace was visibly irked. Kapal ng mukha. hehehe. When he left, I let the sedan pass and we entered the u-turn slot in the same order we were lined up in before the Grace came along.

I found out later that the next u-turn slot was underneath the Libis/Blue Ridge flyover. Maybe the van driver was trying to save some time by counterflowing into the wrong u-turn slot.
    Ang kapal nga ng mukha nun h*yup na yun! Siya pa ang may ganang magalit. Ganyan nga dapat ang ginagawa sa mga ganyang klaseng motorista. Di kasi pwedeng ganito e o ganito :kill:

Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    Imagine the horror in driving when you see a U turn slot every so often! Traffic, congestion...
    Improperly positioned U turn slots really contribute to traffic congestion. Add the many PUVs who just stop when and where they want to, and pedestrians who don't want to use the footbridges, and it gets impossible to stick to one lane without losing your mind!

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    OT lang .iyon U-turn slot sa may congressional road , para makaleft turn ka sa Mindanao ave.sobra naman ang liit considering salubungan pa iyon at madami ang nag u U-turn doon

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by IMm29 View Post
    Ang kapal nga ng mukha nun h*yup na yun! Siya pa ang may ganang magalit. Ganyan nga dapat ang ginagawa sa mga ganyang klaseng motorista. Di kasi pwedeng ganito e o ganito :kill:

Improperly positioned U turn slots really contribute to traffic congestion. Add the many PUVs who just stop when and where they want to, and pedestrians who don't want to use the footbridges, and it gets impossible to stick to one lane without losing your mind!
    But what is a proper U turn slot position?

The problem with U turn slots is that they closed off the original slots where you can actually make turns before. This forces a bottleneck on the current slots and forces the opposite traffic to merge to the right. We all know what vehicles are on the right -- those entering from sidestreets and wanting to make a U turn, or jeepneys waiting for passengers.

In my opinion the problem is really enforcement. The only reason U turn slots were made is to allow a continuous flow of traffic. But in reality, that flow is hindered by bottlenecks caused by those crossing the road to make a U turn.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    A few weeks ago, I was driving along Libis (the side heading to Tiendesitas). When I reached the U-turn slot for Eastwood (the one near Starbucks), a 'shuttle service' Hyundai Grace decided to counterflow into the u-turn slot. Maybe he saw that a small sedan is making the u-turn and tried to force himself through.

So what I did was pull up beside the sedan with all my lights on and my horn on full press to block the Grace. Then another Pajero also pulled up behind me and did the same. The Lincoln Navigator behind him also blocked the slot.

The driver of the Grace was visibly irked. Kapal ng mukha. hehehe. When he left, I let the sedan pass and we entered the u-turn slot in the same order we were lined up in before the Grace came along.

I found out later that the next u-turn slot was underneath the Libis/Blue Ridge flyover. Maybe the van driver was trying to save some time by counterflowing into the wrong u-turn slot.
    i do this too...mga tarant*do talaga yung mga nagpipilit mag uturn jan...pero shempre pinipili ko paren kung kanino makikipagmatigasan..hahaha...baka ma rolito ako eh. =)

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Forgot to mention, yung mga malapit sa U turn slot but just passing, ingat lang kayo kung malapit kayo sa concrete barrier nila. Minsan nasasagi ito at natutumba. Keep distance lang.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    yun sa harap ng PSBA (pag galing ka sa katipunan to aurora to marikina), dyan nyo makikita kung gano kapalpak mga U-turning drivers. there are 2 u-turn slots there but majority of the cars are forcing their way on the first one. ang luwag-luwag nun pangalawa.

d ko alam kung parang luge sila kung dun sila sa susunod na u-turn slot na obviously mga 30-50 meters away lang o trip nila talaga yun adventure.

and take note, mga galing Ateneo pa iba sa mga ito ...

ateneans peace hehehe

8. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by IMm29 View Post

Improperly positioned U turn slots really contribute to traffic congestion. Add the many PUVs who just stop when and where they want to,
    Baka na pansin nyo.

Pag galing ka ng LSGH tatawid ng Edsa papunta ng galle. Pansin ko me sign na bawal mag left turn papunta ng Cubao. use u turn slot daw.

Tapos me U turn slot sa ilalim ng flyover tapat ng galle, sarado naman. Dun naka parada owner jeep ni sarhen-Tong.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    But what is a proper U turn slot position?

The problem with U turn slots is that they closed off the original slots where you can actually make turns before. This forces a bottleneck on the current slots and forces the opposite traffic to merge to the right. We all know what vehicles are on the right -- those entering from sidestreets and wanting to make a U turn, or jeepneys waiting for passengers.

In my opinion the problem is really enforcement. The only reason U turn slots were made is to allow a continuous flow of traffic. But in reality, that flow is hindered by bottlenecks caused by those crossing the road to make a U turn.
    Well the need for proper enforcement is a given. Perhaps with this, and with the existing U turn slots, we can get better traffic flow. IMO, although the concept of U turn slots are ok such that they allow a continuous flow of traffic, they're not good when applied for all roads. Certain parts of Quezon Ave and C5, for example, are not good examples of U turn slots. Some portions are not as wide as others, and enforcement is so lousy that they become bottlenecks. Perhaps if some of these roads were not given the U turn slot treatment because of their size vs the flow of traffic, then traffic may flow smoothly.

Commonwealth and the northern parts of Edsa, on the other hand, are wide enough to accommodate U turn slots. Positioning these slots wherein motorists don't have to swerve too much to get from the slot to a side street would help the flow, and would minimize accidents in the process.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I don't really see a problem with Eastwood's spacing of U-turn slots, it's not like 10Kms naman. I'd rather drive 3Kms to make U-turn than spend hours trying to move 500m.

U-Turn slots are the best option we have for now compared to non-moving bumper-to-bumper traffic of the past. Of course, the best are still tunnels and underpasses but that's kinda expensive. IMO, Bayani Fernando is a genius in implementing this traffic solution. It's far from perfect but it works. All we have to do is cooperate and work with the system to make it better.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Very Long U-Turn Intervals