New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Another practice we follow during long drives is that when you're passing, and have safely passed and see the road is well clear ahead, keep your left signal light on to signal the vehicles behind that it's still safe to pass. If there is an oncoming vehicle already, signal right.

2. Join Date
    May 2009
    i switch to high beam twice (minimum) before approaching any curve sa mga mountain roads especially kung alam kong relatively high speed na blind curve. just to inform yung kasalubong na may oncoming traffic. low beam always kapag foggy ang conditions. walang kwenta ang mga malalakas na ilaw dahil magrereflect lamang sa iyo kapag mahamog sa mountain trail. imo, those "fog" lamps aren't really for road illumination but for identification with a little bit of corner illumination. sa katunayan, i've driven mountain roads on foggy nights with only stock headlights. the only modification lang na ginawa ko is ilower yung reach ng lights. kaya kahit ihigh beam ko, manageable pa rin sa mata ko yung glare ng sarili kong headlights.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    Another unwritten rule for seasoned drivers is to turn off headlamps and leave fog lamps(lower beam) to allow the overtaking(signalling) vehicle to see if there's an oncoming vehicle. If you are the one overtaking, dim the headlamp until you pass the driver sidemirror of the other vehicle..

One advantage of night driving is that you can overtake on blind curves or eat the other lane safely by just turning off momentarily your headlamp.(not a recommended driving style for all but very effective).

Flashing once means the driver is checking if the oncoming vehicle forgot to dim the lights, or could be signalling that he wants to claim your right of way.. If the opposing vehicle already claimed your right of way, you have the last clear chance to safely maneuver your vehicle by:
    - decelerating to give much distance and give the other vehicle time to do his thing
    - use the shoulder to avoid collision
    - make full stop if necessary

PS: most newbie drivers driving provincial 2-way roads don't know that its very dangerous overtaking on bridges.. Having no shoulder lane on most bridges makes less option for last clear chance.. The reason also why 2-way bridges have double solid yellow lanes..
    first time member dito, napa-register ako dahil sa thread na eto. I am a driver who goes up and down baguio via all three roads. maraming taon na ako nagmamaneho through these roads to the point na kabisadong-kabisado ko na, kayang kaya ko magmaneho through heavy rain and fog using my memory.

pero yang mga "unwritten rules" ninyo ay panay BS lang. there is no such thing as an "unwritten rule". bottomline, pinagbibigyan lang kayo ng other driver dahil sa kabulastugan ninyo.

lalo yang flashing of headlights... nakupo! marami na ang nadaanan ko na nag-head on collision dahil sa flashing headlights habang nagoovertake. bakit sila nag-head on? kasi SABAY ang dalawang oncoming vehicles na nag-flash ng headlights.

in truth, wala namang ibig sabihin ang pag-flash ng headlights eh. ginagawan lang ng personal interpretation.

personally, kung merong nag-flaflash ng headlights sa akin either in front or behind me, hindi ko pinapansin. bahala siya sa buhay niya, basta magmamaneho lang ako defensively. mag-overtake siya kung secure na ako sa lane ko.

4. Join Date
    May 2010
    Defensive Driving. It's all it takes.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Andami ko natutunan sa safe driving lalo pag gabi. Very much noted mga bossing. Maraming salamat sa pag share ng teknik. More power po sa lahat and sa tsikot!

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by l3viathan View Post
    first time member dito, napa-register ako dahil sa thread na eto.
    Welcome to tsikot.com..

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Another practice we follow during long drives is that when you're passing, and have safely passed and see the road is well clear ahead, keep your left signal light on to signal the vehicles behind that it's still safe to pass. If there is an oncoming vehicle already, signal right.
    Yeah, I get to practice this during these long drives, especially with a 2nd car in tow.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    ot
    last new year,muntik na kami maka park sa burnham,buti may vendor na nagsabi na inaalisan ng plaka mga naka park don,
    dami nga sasakyan na tanggal plaka tapos may tiket sa windshield
    laking abala sana,,,,

9. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Night driving is dangerous Kasi walang view. I have observed this many times coz I go up every weekend sa Marcos highway Tanay. In the day, drivers tend to be more giving and relaxed coz the view relaxes them. *night, is an entirely different thing. Drivers are more aggressive, maybe because they want to get out of the zigzag faster as negative things playing in their head like Baka ambush, masiraan, biglaan ulan etc.

So as much as possible avoid night driving in the mountains, gasino na gasolina at Oras na maubos traveling at daylight, Kung buhay mo, buhay ng kotse mo or buhay ng pamilya mo nakasalalay. Usually, mga kaibigan ko na Nagpipilit na safe yan are the ones I label the edgy ones. You should profile friends like that, they don't give at rat's ass about your family.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^Well, in general, you should always consider the source of feedback din naman. The other friends who may be saying it's safe probably have done the drive many times at night and have the road and its conditions memorized like the back of their hands, and not necessarily don't give a rat's *$$ about you and your family. That would all be up to you and how you evaluate the situation.

Personally, I agree with you. For me, there's a lot less risk driving in the day time because you can see where you're going and the surroundings, you can only go as fast because of the traffic, and chances are your passengers are awake and can react to any emergency maneuvers you may have to take. What I like about night driving is that you can see who's on the road because of their lights. Nga lang, lately, there are a lot of *$$holes who don't turn on their lights.

Sarap lang humataw sa gabi, mag-isa, sa libreng daan. Oh well, those were the days.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast