New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Jeepney drivers frequently turn off their headlamps so it won't glare commuters waiting for a ride on the side of the road from reading their route signboard hanging off their windshield.

Anyway, people have varied definition of when the headlights should be on, unfortunately. Many base their decision on their own tolerance to see in low light conditions, while others simply forget or don't notice the need to turn it on. Headlamp use should not really be limited to dusk-night-dawn use only. There are situations that warrants the use of headlamps in the daytime, like bad weather, or when it's extremely cloudy, or driving through an indoor or covered facility like darkened driveways or indoor/basement parking.

What I personally don't agree to is the use of daytime running lights (DRL) in the Philippines. We have 90% clear skies almost all-day most of the year. DRLs just add to the glare, distraction, light pollution, and masks other legitimate road users like cars without DRLs, cyclists, motorcycles and pedestrians.

And don't get me started on hazard lamp and rear foglamp abuse/misuse. ;)
    Last edited by oj88; June 15th, 2015 at 07:46 AM.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005

I do,- all the time.....

Turning the headlights on during the day is now termed DRL, and is practiced in other countries. In a good number of vehicles, as soon as you start the engine,- the lights turn on automatically.

Here,- I also turn-on my lights when driving against the sunlight, or with the sunlight behind me....

Gives better visibility on the road...

"The measure of a man is what he does with power" LJIOHF!

26.6K _/_/_/_/_/:mop:_/_/_/_/_/

3. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    my parklights (at least) are always on every time i use my car... i turn on my headlights whenever i pass by underpasses, covered parking areas, on a rainy day, just about every time the surroundings get a little bit cloudy or darker, the reason?... motorists up ahead and behind you as well will immediately see you on their rear and side view mirrors... its like saying to other motorists around you that "hey i'm here behind you or i'm up ahead of you so don't get too near"...

4. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Urban myth that turning the lights on drains the battery, but it may be true for especially among antique PUVs with poorly maintained electrical system/malfunctiong alternators...

5. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    Pride of having excellent eyesight?
    The purpose of headlights are for us to see at night, and to be visible to other drivers at dusk or dawn or when it rains. It is required for motorists in some countries in Europe to turn on headlights the moment you use your wipers. Daytime running lights (DRL) were invented to improve daytime visibility. Motorcycles are required in other countries, other than wearing visible/reflective clothing, to have their lights on at all times, most motorcycles nowadays are hotwired to be on the moment you start the engine. Some local underbone bikes have headlights which are wired to be on the moment you twist the key, but some motorcyclists add switches to turn them off to save on bulb replacement costs. I'd rather be visible and save lives than save cash.
    Last edited by Radical!; June 15th, 2015 at 10:34 AM.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    You're more visible to oncoming motorists, hence they are more likely to notice your presence and avoid colliding with you.
    I've encountered a vehicle like this at SLEX but it got me confused. I dunno if he does not want me to switch to his lane or he just prefers that his lights are on.

I automatically switch on my lights at covered parking areas. It became a habit for me because we are required at our office parking space.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Radical! View Post
    The purpose of headlights are for us to see at night, and to be visible to other drivers at dusk or dawn or when it rains. It is required for motorists in some countries in Europe to turn on headlights the moment you use your wipers. Daytime running lights (DRL) were invented to improve daytime visibility. Motorcycles are required in other countries, other than wearing visible/reflective clothing, to have their lights on at all times, most motorcycles nowadays are hotwired to be on the moment you start the engine. Some local underbone bikes have headlights which are wired to be on the moment you twist the key, but some motorcyclists add switches to turn them off to save on bulb replacement costs. I'd rather be visible and save lives than save cash.
    I agree with you but only up to a certain point.

DRLs were originally required in some countries or regions that has year-round less than ideal weather conditions. Most of Europe and countries near the north and south pole falls under that category. But in a tropical country such as the Philippines, it's an absolute nuisance. Headlamps should be one of those things that the driver has full control of; OFF when not needed and ON if sound judgment calls for it. Some mid or top-tier cars have an AUTO option that will automatically turn on the lights when driving through a tunnel, for example. But indiscriminately having it turned ON even in broad daylight and perfect weather is really uncalled for. I'll accept motorbikes to have DRLs and I think it's justified. But on cars? The main negative impact of DRLs on cars is that the glare from them tends to mask motorcycles, bicyclists, and pedestrians, as I mentioned earlier.

Now, just because some countries are using it, it doesn't mean it will be beneficial for all other countries. You will have to understand under which context these safety features are most effective at.

Even the US DOT/NHTSA have this to say:

"The analysis found that DRLs have no statistically significant overall effect on the three target crashes. When combining these three target crashes into one target crash, the drl effects were also not statistically significant. When examined separately for passenger cars and light trucks / van (LTVs) , drls in LTVs significantly reduced LTVs involvement in the target two vehicle by 5.7 percent. However, the remaining drl effects on these three target crashes were not statistically significiant. Although not statistically significant, drls might have unintended consequences for pedestrains and motorcycles. Particularly, the estimated negitive effects for LTV's were relatively large and cannont be completely ignored.
    For those who care to read the actual study: http://www.regulations.gov/contentSt...ontentType=pdf

8. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    ^ thank you oj88 for posting this one

9. Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Per R.A. 4136 aka "Land Transportation and Traffic Code"

(c) Headlights. - Every motor vehicle of more than one meter of projected width, while in use on any public highway shall bear two headlights, one on each side, with white or yellowish light visible from the front, which, not later than one-half hour after sunset and until at least one-half four before sunrise and whenever weather conditions so require, shall both be lighted.

Additional lamps and light may be carried, but no red lights shall be visible forward or ahead of the vehicle. Trucks, buses, trailers, and other similar vehicles must carry, while in use on any public highway during night-time, colored riding lights on each of the four corners not more than ten centimeters from the top.

All motor vehicles shall be equipped with devices for varying the intensity of light, and the driver must dim the headlights or tilt the beams downward whenever the vehicle is being operated on well-lighted streets within the limits of cities, municipalities, and thickly populated barrios or districts, or whenever such vehicle meets another vehicle on any public highway.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by funkeemunkee View Post
    Per R.A. 4136 aka "Land Transportation and Traffic Code"

(c) Headlights. - Every motor vehicle of more than one meter of projected width, while in use on any public highway shall bear two headlights, one on each side, with white or yellowish light visible from the front, which, not later than one-half hour after sunset and until at least one-half four before sunrise and whenever weather conditions so require, shall both be lighted.

Additional lamps and light may be carried, but no red lights shall be visible forward or ahead of the vehicle. Trucks, buses, trailers, and other similar vehicles must carry, while in use on any public highway during night-time, colored riding lights on each of the four corners not more than ten centimeters from the top.

All motor vehicles shall be equipped with devices for varying the intensity of light, and the driver must dim the headlights or tilt the beams downward whenever the vehicle is being operated on well-lighted streets within the limits of cities, municipalities, and thickly populated barrios or districts, or whenever such vehicle meets another vehicle on any public highway.
    may kaukulang parusa ba ito kung may paglalabag?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast