New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Sorry. Miscommunication. Sayang dami pa namang nag-react. I meant to say pag malakas ang ulan at nakakita ako ng hazard light sa NLEX na ina-assume ko na gumagapang pa-abante ang sasakyan at hindi necessarily nakatigil. It's not a stupid assumption naman kasi kahit nakatigil siya talaga, I can still stop in time since I'm assuming nga gumagapang eh.

I don't think EDSA speeds would necessitate hazard lights for visibility reasons, except for certain hours ng new year (specially in the early 90s).

And by the way, yes, I've lived in the US east coast for several years kaya nga may karugtong na Trucks/PUBs yung last sentence eh -- hindi lang ulan. May close relative kasi ako na inararo ng 20-footer na inaantok yung driver bulok pa yung truck. I don't think those things would even be on foreign roads and I think those are even more important to implement than mere driving courtesy.

I've been driving safely over 20 years and just driving over 30 (buti di ako nadale nung pagitan ano?). hahaha. Kayo?

Yun namang sa EWD, nagtataka lang ako kasi past 6 vehicles ko nabibili lahat may libreng EWD na. Eh kung madami pa din wala nun eh di lalo na yung rear fog lights! (Sabagay jeep nga madalas walang ilaw eh ano -- what do we do then?)

Yung mga ayaw sa assumption ko, eh di huwag niyo. I'd rather risk confusing you than being rear-ended by a 20-footer anyway.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pup2 View Post
    Yung mga ayaw sa assumption ko, eh di huwag niyo. I'd rather risk confusing you than being rear-ended by a 20-footer anyway.
    problem naman dyan, baka may maaksidente sa pagsignal mo ng maling signal.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Proper use of hazard lights according to the highway code online:

96: Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. Never use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking. You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights whilst driving unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed.
    [SIZE=-1]Law RVLR reg 27[/SIZE]

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Ayun naman pala eh ... "Never use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking."

"unless you are on a motorway (aka NLEX, right?) or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard ... Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed."

I knew I couldn't have been THAT far off the ball park.

I think you're confusing this with ABUSING the use of your hazard lights -- not using them as an exception. I know I've never had nor caused others to have a big accident because of my kind of hazard light use either. Kung may alam kayo e di post niyo dito para malaman naman nung iba kung pano ang tamang paggamit ng hazard o kaya magkuwento naman kayo ng experience niyo.

OT: My biggest accident was when I was improperly seated (too reclined) in a slow diesel car that I was too impatient in. Yung sa pamilya naman, ayun nga na-total wreck yung van nung driver namin ng 20-footer truck on a rainy day sa hiway habang nagmemenor.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Sorry. Miscommunication. Sayang dami pa namang nag-react. I meant to say pag malakas ang ulan at nakakita ako ng hazard light sa NLEX na ina-assume ko na gumagapang pa-abante ang sasakyan at hindi necessarily nakatigil. It's not a stupid assumption naman kasi kahit nakatigil siya talaga, I can still stop in time since I'm assuming nga gumagapang eh.

I don't think EDSA speeds would necessitate hazard lights for visibility reasons, except for certain hours ng new year (specially in the early 90s).

And by the way, yes, I've lived in the US east coast for several years kaya nga may karugtong na Trucks/PUBs yung last sentence eh -- hindi lang ulan. May close relative kasi ako na inararo ng 20-footer na inaantok yung driver bulok pa yung truck. I don't think those things would even be on foreign roads and I think those are even more important to implement than mere driving courtesy.

I've been driving safely over 20 years and just driving over 30 (buti di ako nadale nung pagitan ano?). hahaha. Kayo?

Yun namang sa EWD, nagtataka lang ako kasi past 6 vehicles ko nabibili lahat may libreng EWD na. Eh kung madami pa din wala nun eh di lalo na yung rear fog lights! (Sabagay jeep nga madalas walang ilaw eh ano -- what do we do then?)

The keyword in your post is "not necessarily". Of course you got us confused, you were practically saying (before saying "not necessarily") that any random lunatic with hazards on will be moving.

True, I could assume that "he's not necessarily stopped". But then again I could just as safely assume nothing, other than he's being a hazard of course, and prepare to avoid him. Which amounts to the same thing.

Oh yeah, 90% of all drivers think their skill is "above average". Which is of course, impossible. I make no qualms about you being a better driver than I am. Of course you are! I'll be the first guy to admit that I'm a rubbish driver, and ten times as bad when it comes to parking. I haven't exactly been living for thirty years you know, let alone drive for that long. I'm sorry, but I really have nothing to brag about in the end.
    Last edited by Alpha_One; February 8th, 2007 at 08:17 AM.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post
    Proper use of hazard lights according to the highway code online:
    Bossing, the Highway Code is the set of rules for driving in the UK. It would be best to quote a Philippine driving rule regarding hazard lights.

To highlight the difference ... you may not use hazard lights while you're driving on UK roads that have intersections, such as city streets, because your signal indicators are disabled. You can do that in the Philippines when you're rushing someone to the hospital.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    So let us say...

You are using your hazard lights while traversing the NLEX's middle lane during a heavy downpour (like every other driver out there).

You want to overtake a slow-moving vehicle by going to your left lane... another car is coming off the overtaking lane and signals to go to your right lane. He might be assuming that since you are using your hazard lights that you will not be changing lanes anytime.

Then the inevitable happens... you both go for the same lane... bam!

===

And oh, it is ok to confuse other motorists just for your own safety? Well, they certainly don't teach that in driving schools or publish that in defensive driving books. :lol:

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Pup2,

The accident with the 20 foot truck isn't your fault since hindi ka naka-hazard lights. The problem of that is that the guy in that truck was driving too fast for the conditions and he assumed he could brake on time. Whenever we drive we take risks. How would you know the car behind you will not plow into you at any given moment? There is no way to really tell and prevent this. After all, of all people, ikaw ang may experience dito like you said.

Get it off your chest, it wasn't your fault that he hit you from behind. Others will agree that considering this, it is not wise to further add insult to injury by confusing others when you turn on your hazard lights when unnecessary just so you will not be rear ended again.

Honestly I see that you have a point that hazard lights may prevent rear end collisions in this case. But when you are moving and using the hazard lights, you are definitely not using the hazard lights properly. If a truck will hit you from behind, weather or not you have the hazards on, he will plow into you in extreme weather conditions if he doesn't brake on time. I'm sure you know that trucks need much more braking distance to stop. But consider too that their tires aren't really the best ones either, and that considering that we're talking about Philippine driving, the truck may be overloaded too and may require significantly more braking distance to avoid the collision.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    "Hazard" speak for itself kahit dito sa forum

10. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    mainit masyado ang balitaktakan dito. hazard lights pag emergency lang ako. malakas na ulan, hindi kasi kahit ako sumasakit ang mata samga naka hazard. hehehe...

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
hazard light