New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    to make the long story short, my cousin was driving the insured vehicle, and got involved in an accident which injured two children, damage to a property, and of course damage to the insured vehicle. so we informed the insurance company about the incident. and informed them that we are going to claim insurance.

- an independent towing company towed the vehicle into their impound lot.
    - the car is still on the impound lot
    - we are the ones who processed the police report, clearance, etc. ( no assistance from the insurance company whatsoever)
    - an "adjuster" assisted us during the admittance of the two injured children
    - we already settled our debt with the property that was damaged during the accident. gave the necessary amount and made a written agreement.
    - initially we had to pay for the hospitalization of the two children. ok this is acceptable.
    - the parents of the the two children demanded another 15k for the additional expenses. and stil lthis came from our pockets.
    - now they are demanding again almost the same amount of money for one of the kid's leg brace. ( no participation from the insurance whatsover)
    - when i asked the insurance company about this: here is what they said:
    - insurance told us that they will only write a check after the injured children are released from the hospital. ( btw one kid had a fracture on his tibia) - parents of the two injured children already gave their written notice about the clearance. so we can claim.
    - insurance told us we have to pay for the impound fee of the vehicle

something is not right. honestly im getting pissed at this insurance company. so much for "insurance" before i tell the name of the company. i just want to make sure that everything is in order. my question is: is this what insurance companies supposed to do?
    Last edited by benchph1; February 20th, 2008 at 04:43 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by benchph1 View Post
    to make the long story short, my cousin was driving the insured vehicle, and got involved in an accident which injured two children, damage to a property, and of course damage to the insured vehicle. so we informed the insurance company about the incident. and informed them that we are going to claim insurance.

- an independent towing company towed the vehicle into their impound lot.
    - the car is still on the impound lot
    - we are the ones who processed the police report, clearance, etc. ( no assistance from the insurance company whatsoever)
    - an "adjuster" assisted us during the admittance of the two injured children
    - we already settled our debt with the property that was damaged during the accident. gave the necessary amount and made a written agreement.
    - initially we had to pay for the hospitalization of the two children. ok this is acceptable.
    - the parents of the the two children demanded another 15k for the additional expenses. and stil lthis came from our pockets.
    - now they are demanding again almost the same amount of money for one of the kid's leg brace. ( no participation from the insurance whatsover)
    - when i asked the insurance company about this: here is what they said:
    - insurance told us that they will only write a check after the injured children are released from the hospital. ( btw one kid had a fracture on his tibia) - parents of the two injured children already gave their written notice about the clearance. so we can claim.
    - insurance told us we have to pay for the impound fee of the vehicle

something is not right. honestly im getting pissed at this insurance company. so much for "insurance" before i tell the name of the company. i just want to make sure that everything is in order. my question is: is this what insurance companies supposed to do?

actually, if you are in comprehensive insurance, dapat wala ka ng iniisip.... so i think there is something wrong somewhere.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    what insurance company is that??

I think we ought to make a list of insurance companies here with links to threads of their offenses for everyone's guidance.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I'm about to get my compre insurance 2 weeks from now. Please tell us the name of the company so that we could avoid it.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Two weeks after the accident, finally! the car is undergoing repairs.

since it will involve replacement of the affected parts, and repainting. this will take at least a month's time to finish.

the kids are finally getting out of the hospital. its because they're asking for money again for the release. and as you've guessed, yes, you're right. this came again from our pockets. and guess what no intervention, no assistance whatsoever from that &*%$! insurance company.

Prudential Insurance is the name of the company. im not generalizing that their services are all bad. just sharing to you guys our experience.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Regarding towing, check your policy, there is a certain item there called Towing limit. The insurance should shoulder the towing fee upto the amount stated in the towing limit.

Regarding the 3rd party liabilities, again, check your policy. How much is the additional 3rd party bodily injury and property damage in your policy? Usually, insurance companies will only shoulder the expenses incurred within the stay in the hospital, including surgery/operating rooms. Some or most victims will still demand additional compensation after they leave the hospital for the maintenance medicine and/or loss of income. I think this is not covered by the insurance, but if your additional 3rd party liabilities (BI/PD) is big (300-500K), then usually, the insurance company will shoulder this.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    that's another thing. about the one who towed the vehicle. during the incident, my cousin was wondering why just after a few minutes there was already a tow truck on the site. maybe they have a "deal" with the pasig blue boys? i understand that they immediately want to pull out the vehicle so as not to make an obstruction on other motorists. but i also believe that our insurance should have been the one who towed it and left it to whatever impounding area for further investigation. they (insurance) do offer free towing wherever, whenever. so i admit its our fault here. again, just sharing to you guys what happened so you can be forewarned.

the 3rd party liabilities, i was able to read it completely and it does state in there that they will only pay once all the bills have been settled. and guess what, there is a limit to how much they pay. meaning if we shell out say for example 60k in total, and if their "indemnities" limit as stated in their policy says up to 30k only, we only get that. and the remaining money is donation. sheesh. one thing i noticed, the policy, i think they deliberately make it so difficult to read, so as you cannot understand whatever they're saying. not typographical errors and clarity of the document, but the way the sentences was constructed, only an english scholar could understand it. haha.. i had to read it over and over three times just to understand.

well, for us its goodbye for this insurance company. so long bye-bye. before i get another one, i would need to have a veeeerryy long talk with the agent so i can understand everything.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    avoid stronghold insurance also... it took them more than a month just to process an LOA. ano ba ok na insurance?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sometimes it's not the fault of the insurace company themselves, but the insurance agencies/underwriters. If you get your insurance and/or file your claims through agents, they may be the cause of the delays and/or misunderstandings.

That's why i always read our comprehensive policy first before my dad would take it from an insurance company. Also check the date of coverage, i had a friend who's x-trail was hit by a fallen tree trunk and much to his dismay he discovered that the insurance expired a month before he knew it. Pwede ba yun? kasi matatapos na yung payment nya sa x-trail mga 3 months na lang tapos nauna pa natapos yung expiry ng insurance? di ba usually sabay yun at kung mag expire man eh same date din dapat? kaya nung tinamaan yung sasakyan at nag-claim sya di na sinagot? Malas nga eh, he ended up paying aroung 150k sa casa for the repairs and now he's selling it na lang.

Comprehensive Insurance Claim