New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Okay, probably another thread like this exists somewhere, but right now I'm a bit aggravated by this experience. I've already approached one tsikoteer on this matter, now I'm out to get other opinions.

Last May 3, I was involved in an accident on Quezon Ave. going home from work. Emerging eastbound from the Quezon Ave. underpass towards Lung Center, I found myself behind a slow-moving Toyota Corolla on the second to the right lane, with its hazard lights on. Naturally, I reduced speed to maintain the gap in front of me, and promptly scanned my left and right sides so that I can overtake and avoid the car. Suddenly, without warning, the Corolla stopped dead. By the time I had noticed, it was too late. I slammed on the brakes, but I still hit the Corolla's rear, damaging its trunk and rear bumper as well as warping my hood and dislocating my bumper and grille. I immediately checked on the driver, a female, asking her if she needed medical attention, since there are a number of hospitals in the area. She assured me that she didn't, and we both proceeded to survey the damage to our vehicles.

She said that she was experiencing mechanical problems, which forced her to suddenly stop the car. I asked her if she needed to have her vehicle towed; she declined. I asked her if she had vehicle insurance, she said no. All the while, I was repeating my offer of both medical attention and towing assistance, and she was consistently declining. Deciding against filing a police report, we instead exchanged numbers and registration information, and left the scene of the incident.

Over the next few days, I coordinated with my insurance company on facilitating her claim for repairs to her car. Insurance gave me an incident report form, since I had neither a police report nor a notarized affidavit of the incident. I accomplished the form on my computer, and promptly forwarded it to the other party so she also accomplish and sign it. Since I had also provided the narration of the accident, I asked her to check if I had my details straight. Upon verifying with the insurance company, I learned that she left the details intact and signed it.

After some time, the insurance company called me regarding her claim. It turns out that there was an almost PhP4,000 discrepancy between her repair estimate and the amount approved by insurance for release. Her shop estimated the cost at PhP15,000 while insurance only approved PhP11,034 due to the car's age. Her shop is located near her residence (Novaliches), while the shop recommended by insurance is near her place of work (Quezon Ave.) I was told by the insurance company that she wanted me to shoulder the remaining balance, since the whole thing was supposedly already too much trouble for her.

I was able to call her two days later and explained that I am not financially capable to shoulder such an expense; I have not even been able to avail of my insurance repairs (I even told her that she can verify this with the insurance company) since it would require me to pay a participation fee of PhP7,100, an amount that I don't readily have. She rationalized that with her vehicle being repaired at the insurance's shop, she would have to commute everyday, whereas if she brought the car to her preferred shop, she would still be able to use the car in the morning and then return it after work to resume the repairs. The last thing she said was that she would call her shop to see what they can do, and that she would get back to me.

This afternoon, her male officemate called me, supposedly because she was out of the office attending to another business. He said that she was willing to settle for P13,000, which meant that I would still have to shoulder the extra 2,000. Assuming that she agrees to have the vehicle repaired at the insurance casa, he said she expected me to shoulder the cost of her daily commute while her vehicle is indisposed.

Naturally, I stood firm and told him that what the insurance had to offer was the absolute best I can do. But when I explained this to him, he suddenly became abrasive, implying that I was irresponsible and that I was trying to worm my way out of my responsibility. I countered that, at the very least, it was her vehicle's mechanical condition that precipitated the accident; she was driving it on a major road, endangering not only herself but pedestrians and fellow motorists as well. He responded by asking how I would know that, when the vehicle had complete LTO clearance. I replied that, aside from informing me so herself at the time of the accident, she had also signed the incident report form wherein I merely quoted what she said.

He was insisting that I was at fault, since I was the one who collided her from behind. I said that I have not been remiss in recognizing my involvement in the accident, which is why I had offered medical and towing assistance, repairs to her vehicle courtesy of my insurance, and even facilitating her documents to expedite her claim. In spite of all these, he still accuses me of trying to cheat my way out of responsibility.

Some of my points in this matter:

- She was driving a mechanically impaired vehicle on a major road, endangering everyone and herself. And when she refused my offer of towing assistance, she further extended that risk, knowing fully well that mechanical trouble was what caused her vehicle to stop in the first place.

- I had offered to assist her in any way I could as a gesture of charity and goodwill, especially since she did not have insurance coverage. I had instructed my insurance company to prioritize her claim over mine. This, despite them informing me that I was in under no obligation to pay for her damages. However, I have yet to see any manifestation on her part that recognizes her responsibility in the accident as well. And what's worse, someone claiming to speak on her behalf is already vilifying me despite my efforts.

- At least one of us will have the opportunity to avail of repairs. It's ironic that, being the insurance policyholder, I am still unable to undertake repair work on my vehicle because I am as yet unable to pay my participation fee.

- She signed the incident report I submitted to her, indicating her agreement with the narration I had put there. She did not affix her signature under duress, she was not in any danger of bodily harm nor any circumstance that would compel her to sign the document against her will.

- At the very least, I also have the right to assert my claim for damages. Not only did my property sustain damage, but my life and that of my wife, who was with me at the time of the accident, was put in danger because she was operating a mechanically impaired vehicle. This constitutes negligence on her part, as it indicated her failure to guarantee her vehicle's roadworthiness in that given instance.

I told a number of friends about this situation, and they said that they don't have anything against me from a legal point of view, especially since I exerted every effort to be of assistance to her. What I should be ready for, however, will be their constant badgering and harassment. They also said that, in cases like these, the insurance quotation should prevail, since insurance will pay for the expense. Even I believe that she has the right to bring her car to her preferred shop, but that she should be the one to shoulder the balance, since it was already a matter of personal preference.

Well, what do you guys think? Am I being unreasonable or irresponsible? Am I legally liable in any way with my refusal to extend further assistance beyond that being offered by my insurance?
    Last edited by Bogeyman; June 9th, 2006 at 08:57 PM.

2. FrankDrebin Guest
    Baka pasikat lang si male officemate?

3. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    epal na officemate yan, feeling starring ang kumag

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    pasikat naman ung officemate na un, in the first place wala sya sa place of the incident kaya wala syang karapatan magsabi ng kung ano ano..

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    Nagpapasiklab ang loko. maganda siguro yung girl

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    The fact that pinakausap ka sa iba only means that she wants to intimidate you.

I won't even talk to him, unless he's her lawyer, legally representing her in this negotiation.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Tell the male officemate that it is none of his business of what has been already agreed upon.

It is around this time that having a lawyer can be handy to shut some people up.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    So far, it's unanimous; the officemate is a real smeghead.

Pero like what I said kanina, I just want to make sure that, from a legal point of view, tagilid ang kaso nila sa akin because:

1. I had readily offered my assistance to her, immediately after the accident and in the days following. If I had indeed been evading responsibility, I wouldn't even be entertaining their calls, either at the office or on my mobile phone.

2. The insurance repair quotation is officially audited and above-board, considering the age of the vehicle (1993 Corolla). Any demand beyond what I can legally offer through my insurance company, I will already consider as extortion. We have a theory that the balance of the two repair estimates represents her cut in the expenses.

IMO you've done all you can in your power to assist her, maybe she's just squeezing you for a little bit more.

And for the officemate, tell him to STFU.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    dont deal with the epals....

the girl herself is guilty IMO (just IMO), that's why she's looking for other people to negotiate for her mess... maybe (just maybe) guilty that she really wasnt dealing with any mechanical probs with her car and she probably (just probably) stopped in the middle of the lane because of, say,,,,uhhmm....nothing.
    typical novice girl drivers... (im not meant to offend lady drivers here OK?)
    there comes the epal officemate na nagpapalapad papel.

basta if i were you, just stick with the procedure ng insurance...pahinog sya.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Collision advice (medyo mahaba)