New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    God! As if you were there Niky. That's it. You understood what I was trying to say ... and ask. Merci. :bond:

2. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Thanks everybody. :shake: Thanks a lot Niky. :foryou::thankyou:

3. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Yun nalang yung best na answer. Di bale kung may right of way ka o hindi... iwas nalang sa gulo. ;)
    In other words, based on the TS' story, sabi ni niky, mali ang nangyari kasi malapit na magkagulo.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Guess what? It happened again, with variations of course.

1. no opposite traffic
    2. I was signaling to the left.
    3. I had my left tires on the middle of the road earlier.
    4. There was a car from 10 to 11 o'clock coming from a gas station.
    5. I stopped overtaking because I am being overtaken.
    6. They almost collided.
    :seesaw:

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    i guess now is a good time for you to get your own car. the owner of the car you drive will get pretty pissed if you wreck it.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie Tella View Post

1. no opposite traffic
    6. They almost collided.
    You'll get used to it. That's the way Pinoy drivers are. Complete a-holes.

Anticipation is the key. It's understanding the psychology of the driver behind you and the driver in front of you. Learn how to read these guys... are they hogging the middle line? Are they swaying left and right? Are they driving aggressively close to the guy in front of them? Learn to read the drivers around you and you can spot an accident-waiting-to-happen from a kilometer away... then you can avoid him (they're usually hims... ).

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie Tella View Post

1. no opposite traffic
    6. They almost collided.
    You did everything right this time, you had the right of way, but still made a good call when you yielded.

BTW here's something taught to me years ago which might help you, too ... It's a good habit to check the rearview mirror every 4 to 5 seconds. It reduces the surprises you get when you do MSM (mirror-signal-maneuver). Also, to check the rearview mirror after accelerating from a full stop and before stepping on the brakes, to judge the speed of the vehicle behind you.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Fuel to the fire: If you're faster than anyone else out on the road, you don't have to worry about what's behind you.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightSix View Post
    You did everything right this time, you had the right of way, but still made a good call when you yielded.

BTW here's something taught to me years ago which might help you, too ... It's a good habit to check the rearview mirror every 4 to 5 seconds. It reduces the surprises you get when you do MSM (mirror-signal-maneuver). Also, to check the rearview mirror after accelerating from a full stop and before stepping on the brakes, to judge the speed of the vehicle behind you.
    +1. Just this afternoon, a big 16-wheeler truck almost hit my car at the U-Turn slot of the Gapan-Olongapo Road. He was going so fast that I didn't even expect it, after all, there was another 16-wheeler next to him (turned out he was overtaking it) and before the U-turn slot, there were concrete barriers cutting off the lane next to the one which I was entering, precisely to protect the U-turn-ing cars. What an a-hole.

Several years ago, I was also able to avoid getting hit by an oncoming passenger jeepney which was overtaking on the shoulder of McArthur Highway while I switched to the right lane (where he was speeding on) to turn right at the next intersection. When I saw the jeepney racing behind me, I removed my foot off the brake pedal to allow my car to overshoot the intersection, while pumping the brakes just enough to light up the brake lights. Good thing I did that, or we would have been rear-ended.

This illustrates how one should always be aware of the situation on all sides at all times.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post
    Fuel to the fire: If you're faster than anyone else out on the road, you don't have to worry about what's behind you.
    That's why driving the Lynx is so much less stressful than driving the Crosswind... ...my wife can never understand why I'm so stressed when I drive that thing... at least... up until the point some damn bus tries to take our mirrors off while doing some last minute merging at the stoplight...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Being Overtaken While Overtaking