New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    It's useless really that even if we know how to drive defensively when others utterly disregard traffic rules and regulations, and worse, common sense!

Sakit talaga ng ulo minsan itong mga kababayan nating mga tsuper!

2. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Hmmmm. Parang dapat yatang mai-transfer itong thread na ito sa Drive Talk.

3. Join Date
    May 2007
    Courtesy and discipline are common problem sa mga ibang driver diyan sa Pinas. So next the next time you drive, you must vigilant with other drivers around you, you cannot drive kung papatay-patay ka kailangan agressive but defensive.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    just sharing...

the local govt made metal aisle railing to separate puj way to private vehicles, one time a passenger jeep stops in front of me to take in a passenger, i honk so much that it deaf the puj driver...

moral of the story...
    1. if the govt made such thing such as the aisle railing, either they need extra money
    2. the mayor down to barangay captain need money.
    3. they badly need the money
    4. it might help ease out the traffic, in which it didnt, unless road widening is constructed.

^ that is in order=)

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    just sharing...

the local govt made metal aisle railing to separate puj way to private vehicles, one time a passenger jeep stops in front of me to take in a passenger, i honk so much that it deaf the puj driver...

moral of the story...
    1. if the govt made such thing such as the aisle railing, either they need extra money
    2. the mayor down to barangay captain need money.
    3. they badly need the money
    4. it might help ease out the traffic, in which it didnt, unless road widening is constructed.

^ that is in order=)

6. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Hey, thank you guys. "Drive Talk?" Thanks, I'll check that out. I never intended this for "Goon Squad HQ." "Wrong and illegal?" I'm sure you are knowledgeable in Ethics, Morals and the law, but you didn't take it up. Come on, I need better than that. Please explain in depth, Man. Thanks.

There were questions raised. Yes, I'm a new driver. I did look at my left side mirror. I didn't hesitate. I always slow down when bypassing or overtaking (or whatever you call it) a PUJ loading/unloading, which occupies my lane in part or in whole.

How do I transfer this to Drive Talk?

Thanks again
    , especially to those who were constructive. I appreciate it.
    :shake:

7. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie Tella View Post
    Hey, thank you guys. "Drive Talk?" Thanks, I'll check that out. I never intended this for "Goon Squad HQ." "Wrong and illegal?" I'm sure you are knowledgeable in Ethics, Morals and the law, but you didn't take it up. Come on, I need better than that. Please explain in depth, Man. Thanks.

There were questions raised. Yes, I'm a new driver. I did look at my left side mirror. I didn't hesitate. I always slow down when bypassing or overtaking (or whatever you call it) a PUJ loading/unloading, which occupies my lane in part or in whole.

How do I transfer this to Drive Talk?

Thanks again, especially to those who were constructive. I appreciate it.
    :shake:
    Did I miss something? You did ask "Now, where did I go wrong? I don't want to die ... yet", right? I think I missed the part when you said all opinions are appreciated - as long as it agrees with yours.

I'm sorry if the answer offended your sensibilities, but I based my opinion on the law on passing and used common sense. From the pages of the LTO website at https://go.lto.net.ph/xpresslane/?q=node/6#Passing

Three Important Things to Remember in Passing
    1. It is illegal to speed up when being passed. Continue at the same speed, or reduce your speed.
    2. Help other drivers to pass safely. Move to the right side of your lane to give the other driver more room and a better view ahead.
    3. Show the passing driver the same courtesy that you would expect from other drivers.
    Now why would there be a rule like that? Because most traffic laws are based on safety. You knew the PUJ might hit an oncoming vehicle. When you accelerated, you increased the danger that you knew already exists at that time.

Wrong and illegal? If you think what you did was right and legal, please amuse me by all means. What's your justification for risking life and limb? Was it worth it?

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie Tella View Post
    Please explain in depth, Man. Thanks.
    Learn when to yield - I do remember when you said you had a split second thought that it was your right of way since you were in front, and the person behind you was intent on passing you, so you sped up. Just the fact that you had a split second moment gives us all the impression you had the opportunity to think twice about the decision you made, but you decided to assert your way instead.

You're a new driver, on a public board with lots of experienced drivers around. We can tell you that based on near misses, bad accidents, and what-have-you, that the risks of asserting your way just to get ahead, is not worth the risk at all. All the more there in Manila, where drivers have this unbelievable train of thought that whoever goes first is better, you do have to learn how and when to yield.

When you looked at your side mirror and saw the person coming and intent on passing you, just let him so, and you'll have to learn when the safest time to pass is. That's what you call "diskarte" and this part is not in the textbooks at all but is learned through proper driving habits. Unfortunately we all learn bad habits when we see others do it often.

Do not make the mistake of getting intimidated by arrogant drivers. The moment you do, you just lost half the battle, because part of driving properly is also driving sensibly, safely, and remaining calm. Obviously that won't happen if you're intimidated (by a passing motorist - regardless of whether they did it properly or not, as in your case).

In my opinion, your mistake was asserting your right of way rather than yielding, to make it safer for everyone else. Who knows, what if may biglang tumawid sa harap ng PUJ? Or what if may biglang tumawid from the other side of the road? Would you rather be the one hitting the pedestrian? Since we all know that PUJ's have this notorious behavior of accelerating when you're passing them, why not just work around that instead and let them be? It'll be so much easier on your part rather than to make the effort of beating the system.

That's why I emphasized the learning aspect, because you have to juggle all these small tasks - knowing what the proper driving habits are, knowing when to yield, making sure it's safe for everyone, and developing your own diskarte. This is a lot more difficult to do if you're dealing with all these thoughts, and at the same time trying to find your way around pesky motorists, PUJ's, etc while also avoiding fender benders, and perhaps maybe even giving a smoother ride to your passengers.
    Last edited by mbeige; June 25th, 2008 at 05:06 AM.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Just in defense of the TS... from the information given, it is not clear whether the PUJ behind her also signalled its intent, which it probably did not, but this is a common bad habit amongst Filipino drivers. If the car in front of you is in the process of overtaking, you shouldn't try to overtake it at the same time. That's also common sense and also on the LTO site:

Where Passing is not Safe

1. When there is a long time of cars ahead.
    2. When you intend to turn or stop very soon.
    3. When an incoming car is too close.
    4. When the car ahead is going at or near the speed limit. Speed limit is still applied when passing.
    5. When sight distance ahead is limited.
    6. When the maneuver would have to be completed in a no-passing zone such as hill, curve or intersection.
    As a newbie, the TS doesn't have the experience to use her indicator signal... (few people actually do), but common sense is... in a queue, let the person at the head of the queue go first. What the PUJ driver did was try to jump the queue by pulling out immediately and gunning it, even though the vehicle in front is showing an inclination to also pass. That's poor safety.

In this incident:

PUJ number one did something illegal, speeding up while being passed.

PUJ number two did something deemed unsafe, which is passing from the end of a line of vehicles... and, from the given situation, was apparently counterflowing on the left side of the road trying to edge past... which is both unsafe and illegal.

TS got caught between the two, performing a technically illegal action of accelerating while being overtaken, but consider that PUJ number two was trying to execute an illegal overtaking maneuver in the first place.

Personally, I think your initial instinct was right... basically if you're the first overtaker, your job is to get around the obstruction quickly so that anyone following you will not be in harm's way. But even though PUJ number one was doing something illegal, speeding up while you were overtaking him, common sense dictates that you should just let him through... no need to get into an accident on the account of the pig-headedness of others. Next time, given the state of idiocy on the road, watch your mirrors. Road sense lang yun. ;)
    Last edited by niky; June 25th, 2008 at 11:25 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    mukhang di alam ni TS kung ano ang Yield and kung anong klaseng driver ang mga jeepney drivers. :peace:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Being Overtaken While Overtaking