New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    I am not sure if this is the correct forum. Sorry. Anyway, I hope you will answer my question. Thank you.

1) I was driving in third gear when the PUJ in front stopped for passenger/s, still covering 1/4 to 1/3 of our side of the road. I thought I knew what to do ... I braked a little and started to squeeze between that stopped PUJ and the opposite traffic. To my surprise, as my bumper is nearing the back wheels of the PUJ, I noticed that another vehicle was overtaking me on my left.

2) Not that I didn't want to be overtaken, but I was first. Besides he may hit oncoming traffic, or I may hit him. I don't want him to die. I didn't want him next to me or in front of me, so I accelerated. Another surprise ... the PUJ I was overtaking accelerated. Perhaps he wanted to overtake me too because his engine was loud and he was quite fast. So, I put pressure on the accelerator that I almost floored it, I think.

3) As I was overtaking, I followed an advice and looked at the right side mirror to see the front of the PUJ come into full view before I completely go back to my lane. I almost hit an opposing vehicle that had tires on the middle of the road.

Now, where did I go wrong? I don't want to die ... yet. :juggle: :pope:

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You only went wrong in assuming that the drivers around you would be sensible and do the safe thing. You're in the right as the first car in line, to try and overtake the jeepney, but many drivers will often try to seize the opportunity to "get ahead" and will try to cut you off.

Some jeepney drivers (not all) are complete a$$holes who block the road to unload, then will race to stay ahead of whoever's trying to get around them.

In such situations, let the guy behind you pass, the jeepney to race him, and those two idiots to have it out with each other when they crash...

Observance lang talaga. On Philippine roads, you have to have eyes in front, behind, to the side and to the skies (an armored car might fall on top of you) to keep safe. And a thick skin.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

in those situation where having a maximum torque of 35kg-m * 1800-2000 rpm are very useful..

well, back to topic-- you panic-ed, right.. huminto yung dyip, medyo may kalayuan ka, pag silip mo sa sidemiror, may umoovertake.. then bigla naman umarangkada yun dyip right?

ang pagkakamali mo-- you... HESITATED... buti sinuwerte ka at nakalusot ka...pasalamat ka nalang,at tatandaan mo to palagi---

[size=7]in driving, when in doubt, slow down and stop[/size]!

4. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Pag 2 lane road tapos nde naman ganun kabilis takbo ko usually hinihintay ko na lang mag unload yung jeep, pero kung walang oncoming traffic mag signal left ako to indicate na mag overtake ako, pero bago mag overtake dapat tingin ka muna sa rear view mirror, kung mukhang may mas mabilis na sayo na mag overtake rin paunahin mo na sya

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    new driver? parang nagulat ka pa kasi sa nangyari that's a normal occurence especially in a 2 way street so get used to it. next time, kung di ka naman nagmamadali, huminto ka na lang kung nagaalangan ka and wait for the jeep to move. pabayaan mo yung nag oovertake sayo.

i've witnessed 2 incidents kung saan biglang nawala sa tabi ko yung nag-oovertake (actually parang nagcounterflow na) sa akin. na-head on ng kasalubong. :o kaya ingat na lang lagi

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayz_yummy View Post
    in those situation where having a maximum torque of 35kg-m * 1800-2000 rpm are very useful..

well, back to topic-- you panic-ed, right.. huminto yung dyip, medyo may kalayuan ka, pag silip mo sa sidemiror, may umoovertake.. then bigla naman umarangkada yun dyip right?

ang pagkakamali mo-- you... HESITATED... buti sinuwerte ka at nakalusot ka...pasalamat ka nalang,at tatandaan mo to palagi---

!
    this is right... NEVER EVER HESITATE in driving.. marami nadidisgrasya sa ganyan attitude of drivers hesitating.. hindi malaman nung ibang driver kung hihinto ka ba o didiretso... its better to have a good estimation of whats in mind of drivers in front of you... you need to calculate and expect their moves...defensive driving nga eh if in doubt andyan lang sa tabi ng accelerator ang brakes USE IT

in the case above... kaya ka inovertake nung car sa left side mo is because you slowed down so ang estimate nung car sa left eh hihinto ka eh bigla ka pala mag accelerate so nag alanganin sya and nowhere to go kaya nag accelerate na din para unahan ka.. yung jeep nag accelerate din to get momentum for his jeep kaya sabi mo parang kumakarera sayo.. maingay lang makina nun kumbaga 120kph 100 ingay bente takbo...

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Well in driving, over anticipation help a lot. Malayo pa lang when I noticed that the PUJ in front has the intention to pick / drop or stop, almost simultaneously tingin na ko sa rear view and left side view mirror at on coming vehicle. my decision really depends on those….

1. if there are incoming – no way to take the risk to overtake – if someone behind you would take the chance, let him do and watch.
    2. but if there are no incoming vehicles, malayo pa lang lalabas na ko ng konti so that following vehicle will notice that I have also the intention to pass – but really depends kung di pa siya (following you) naka labas too. Kasi kung ganun eh malamang kayo mag-abot at pagtawanan kayo ng dyip na loko-loko. The best pa rin magbigayan para iwas sabit.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Once again, asserting your right of way can be dangerous at the wrong moments. Learn when to yield and anticipate their actions well in advance.

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    It always pays to drive defensively.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    Once again, asserting your right of way can be dangerous at the wrong moments. Learn when to yield and anticipate their actions well in advance.
    Exactly.

---

What you did was wrong and illegal*.

When you stepped on your brakes and tried to squeeze between the stopped PUJ and opposing lane/traffic, you have indicated that you are slowing down with no intention to change lanes. If you were intending to, you should've looked in your mirrors and turned on your indicator lights if it was safe to do so.

When you noticed the overtaking PUJ the first thing you should have done was to slow down or maintain your speed and let it overtake you. If the overtaking PUJ made a dangerous mistake, it certainly didn't need another mistake from you that made the situation more dangerous.

But don't worry, you're in the Philippines - where the line between what's right and what's wrong is usually blurry.

* https://go.lto.net.ph/xpresslane/?q=node/6#Passing

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Being Overtaken While Overtaking