My father-in-law was rushed to the UDMC 2 months ago due to a stroke. Hindi na namin hinintay ang family doctor, nung ni-rush sa ER, we just let the ER staff make the decisions until he was stabilized. Our doctor visited him that day, 8 hours after we rushed him there.
This is the part I was saying on how difficult it would be to explain the situation to our brothers and sisters outside of the field. It's a case to case basis. There are different kinds of strokes. And the management of a lot of them have become 'de-kahon' already. In theory, you can indeed manage a stroke patient long enough for the attending to arrive at an unhurried pace. Just run the necessary tests, call the attending, listen to his orders, carry out orders. And when he arrives he'll have the benefit of the lab/diagnostics results already (which were done earlier).

Whether you choose to transfer service to another physician is your choice. The hospital staff will just give you the information necessary to make an informed choice. But no doctor in his right mind would 'steal' another doctor's private patient. If you were hanging in the balance, the least the on-duty physician can do is call the attending physician and inform him that a private case of his has arrived and he would have to intervine right then and there.

But again, people will ask what the fine line between waiting for the attending and jumping into action is. Again, it's case to case. It's something you gain from years of training and experience.

When I had a suspected appedicitis, I was rushed by my dad to UST. My attending surgeon is Dr. Regal. When the hospital contacted him, he was in Pampanga [it was a Sunday morning]. While waiting all the necessary tests were run and by the time he arrived, he already had the results on hand. In the end, I was not operated on [diagnosis was not AP].

If people think that being on-call is fun and glamorous, it's really not. Just a few Sundays ago, we were hearing mass when my dad's cellphone rang. There was an emergency at the hospital. The patient was already opened up on the table but the operating team was having difficulty. Needless to say, my dad had to rush to the hospital to fix things.

Another time was when we had just come from Tarlac to get the 4x4 system off boybi's Patrol. On our way to Manila, he gets a call and we had to divert to Valenzuela. The Tullahan bridge was out and we had to squeeze the vehicle through the narrowest side streets just to get to the hospital. I was the one driving and I never thought it was fun. Sobrang gabi na din kami nakauwi...

So kung coding din lang or other minor moving violations, I hope you guys could give us a break.