Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    welcome andyinManila
    where traffic law is just a myth

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Originally Posted by andyinmanila View Post
    As an English guy who has lived here for 3 years I have noticed a few things (none good) about Filipino roads and Driving.

Here is my list maybe some of you guys might like to respond

1. Everyday on the South super highway at about 7 am at least 2 ambulances try and go to Manila, I have been told by staff at work that there are probably no patients but some mayor or minor politician abusing power and using an ambulance, TRUE/FALSE,
    2. Why do some idiot drivers try and drive 1 meter behind the ambulance? how stupid is that, and don't tell me they are relatives.
    3. Flashing lights, every other country in the world flashing lights is a warning NOT get out of the way im coming through, in fact in Europe a flash on the headlights is a courtesy to say " you can go first"
    4. why do people insist on putting police horns and red and blues on their cars, they just look and sound stupid, I do not move for them.
    5. Why dont Filipinos like giving way? changing lanes is near impossible, normal driving is Mirror, Signal, Maneuver (NOTE SIGNAL). Filipino drivers seem to be stuck with a me first attitude.
    6. Drivers in the centre lane travelling at 20-30 kph with hazard lights flashing...GET OFF THE ROAD...
    7. If you have a flat tire, move to the side Dont change the wheel taking up 2 lanes and inconveinenting maybe 30 thousand people.
    8. Jeeps are driven by idiots with no consideration for others, and put some lights on or get off the road
    9. Taxis are driven by even bigger idiots
    10. MMDA or other traffic enforcers like stopping us foreigners, They get no money from me as I went out of my way to know what they can and cannot legally ask when you are stopped. I was stopped the other day for swerving and I was actually changing lanes using my signal indicators
    11. I was also stopped for jumping an orange light, I asked him why were the 2 cars behind me not stopped he had no answer, I asked him what orange means...he said stop, it actually means prepare to stop..
    12. What the Philippines needs is Driver testing, ie take a test before you can drive on the road
    13. It also needs proper policing on the roads
    14. It needs to be rid of some of the dilapidated vehicles on the roads
    15. I know Jeeps are the main means of transport but transport technology has moved on in the last 50 years so should jeeps, ie no smoke belching
    16. I forgot buses are driven by bigger idiots than taxis and jeeps, they think they are in sports cars. THats it RANT over
    I have to disagree with no. 10. A lot of traffic enforcer don't speak english well and westerners are less inclined to pay bribes.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Andy,

Since you and I live in the same neck of the woods, I know of a place where they serve really good ale while watching the English Premiere League...

How about it???

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    1. YES. Poverty has nothing to do with road courtesy, etiquette, or observing traffic rules. I know a bank executive who doesn't know road etiquette or those traffic signs. You know why? Because she just PAID OFF her driver's license exam to pass. All she knows is drive the vehicle. She doesn't even know what the "N" in her gearbox stands for.

2. Why do people tailgate an ambulance? The answer is obvious: Because an ambulance scatters the traffic ahead of it. If you tailgate an ambulance, you won't get caught in the traffic jam. Is it stupid? Yes, it is. But people here are stone-faced. You don't know these people, anyway. So whether they look stupid or not, they are not affected. There is no law against tailgating an ambulance. So if you are not breaking the law, then presumably it is ok. Again, "etiquette" is a culture. Even in the United States, there are a lot of Americans who don't have etiquettes. Just so happens that here in the Philippines, we specialize in Lack of Road Etiquette. I don't tailgate an ambulance myself.

3. Why do private car owners love using sirens and police lights? Same as above about tailgating an ambulance: To scatter the traffic ahead of them. Filipinos are always "fearful" of person's in authority. They look at them as some kind of Mafia Godfather or Colombian Drug Lords. So if you are a lowly citizen, and you hear a siren or flashing lights at your back: Get out of the way! Of course, the people you mentioned are nothing but stupid idiots who are simply BLUFFING their way in the streets using a siren to make it look like they are a Colombian Drug Lord or Police General. Are they idiots? Yes. Is it illegal? Yes. So get the plate number and report them to Police Hotline 117.

4. Why do the police love to milk the foreigners? Because foreigners are vulnerable and scared. Of course, I'm talking about fresh foreigners. Not the foreigners who are already deeply-rooted with the locals like you. When I was in Shanghai China, a taxi driver tried to charge me 3 times the normal fare I pay from the Airport to my Hotel -- all because I don't look like a chinese. If you went to New York, you are probably aware that there are many locals there who try to rip you off when they learn that you are a tourist! It's a given fact: If you are a foreigner in a foreign land, you will be targetted in some way. There is no Paradise Country in this planet.

In summary:

Everything i just described, is of course, deplorable and sad. We are just discussing why people do these things. Cultivating a "culture" of respect and etiquette, takes generations. The first step to control the "barbarians" in our society, is to put EFFECTIVE LAW ENFORCEMENT and STOP CORRUPTION.

Even in lab experiments, mice who were electrocuted for doing something nasty, will usually not do that nasty act again. So punish people, and they will behave.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by docgorio View Post
    Andy,

Since you and I live in the same neck of the woods, I know of a place where they serve really good ale while watching the English Premiere League...

How about it???

PM me we can arrange something

6. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EL Chicane View Post
    Even in lab experiments, mice who were electrocuted for doing something nasty, will usually not do that nasty act again. So punish people, and they will behave.
    Can we electrocute Jeep, Taxi, bus and trike drivers?... that will be fun I will push the button.. I will even pay the Meralco bill

7. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by andyinmanila View Post
    As an English guy who has lived here for 3 years I have noticed a few things (none good) about Filipino roads and Driving.

Here is my list maybe some of you guys might like to respond

1. Everyday on the South super highway at about 7 am at least 2 ambulances try and go to Manila, I have been told by staff at work that there are probably no patients but some mayor or minor politician abusing power and using an ambulance, TRUE/FALSE,
    2. Why do some idiot drivers try and drive 1 meter behind the ambulance? how stupid is that, and don't tell me they are relatives.
    3. Flashing lights, every other country in the world flashing lights is a warning NOT get out of the way im coming through, in fact in Europe a flash on the headlights is a courtesy to say " you can go first"
    4. why do people insist on putting police horns and red and blues on their cars, they just look and sound stupid, I do not move for them.
    5. Why dont Filipinos like giving way? changing lanes is near impossible, normal driving is Mirror, Signal, Maneuver (NOTE SIGNAL). Filipino drivers seem to be stuck with a me first attitude.
    6. Drivers in the centre lane travelling at 20-30 kph with hazard lights flashing...GET OFF THE ROAD...
    7. If you have a flat tire, move to the side Dont change the wheel taking up 2 lanes and inconveinenting maybe 30 thousand people.
    8. Jeeps are driven by idiots with no consideration for others, and put some lights on or get off the road
    9. Taxis are driven by even bigger idiots
    10. MMDA or other traffic enforcers like stopping us foreigners, They get no money from me as I went out of my way to know what they can and cannot legally ask when you are stopped. I was stopped the other day for swerving and I was actually changing lanes using my signal indicators
    11. I was also stopped for jumping an orange light, I asked him why were the 2 cars behind me not stopped he had no answer, I asked him what orange means...he said stop, it actually means prepare to stop..
    12. What the Philippines needs is Driver testing, ie take a test before you can drive on the road
    13. It also needs proper policing on the roads
    14. It needs to be rid of some of the dilapidated vehicles on the roads
    15. I know Jeeps are the main means of transport but transport technology has moved on in the last 50 years so should jeeps, ie no smoke belching
    16. I forgot buses are driven by bigger idiots than taxis and jeeps, they think they are in sports cars. THats it RANT over
    1. call me racist but even though there's no one inside drivers here in metro manila are just plain inconsiderate and ignorant like that.
    Sadly all the good ones are out of country or taken by private companies.

3. same answer as above. Ignorant.

5. those people who do not give way are easily tempted not to, or just plain selfish scum. It's really tempting lols

8. I second the motion to that.That's due to lenience of the puv companies and the lack of control of their drivers.

9. I agree again, they should be regulated.

11. lols good move.

12. if you go to LTO you know why drivers in this country are generally ignorant with the rules of the road. Its a freaking nesting grounds of corrupt bottom feeders.

What's funny is there are a lot of fixers/red tape people loitering around, guess where? In front of the sign where it says that fixers/red tape will be punishable by law. Even the LTO employees are part of the scheme, and yet no one is man enough to sue them.

15. I agree with this. There are those aircon jeeps initially used for tourist. They should use that instead.

16. lols, those guys are stressfull SOBs lols

Quote Originally Posted by xtremerider View Post
    Good day to you Mate...

I'm a filipino and born as filipino but I experience to drive here and to the other countries as well. All your points are well specifically said. When I got my UAE driver's license and start to drive in UAE. I notice all this points. It's way big difference driving here and to other countries. Most driver's here specially those driving Public utility vehicle didn't go to driving school to get a license even the private one's. You can only count thouse who goes to school to get their license.

Even a blind person can pass the test and get a professional driver's license. Everything here is different and we must live with it because this is the system in this country...

Drive safe...
    I disagree. We have to live with it cos no one wants to take one for the team and fight these scums in a formal way. Play it in their own terms and use the government system to eliminate them from the roads. Reassign them into gardeners, sweepers, I don't care..*frustrated*

Can we electrocute Jeep, Taxi, bus and trike drivers?... that will be fun I will push the button.. I will even pay the Meralco bill
    Heck I will pay just for me to do it myself.lols

Andy I like the way you think. got a FB or something?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Welcome to the Philippines, Andy. I work in Makati too. Maybe we can meet up with some of the guys and talk about htis over coffee or beer

9. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    iisa lang talaga solusyon Lowdown 10K na lang sa lahat ng tsikot para wala ng puv

like P5 pay per call phone nawala na lahat kasi lahat may cellphone na ngaun. ganun din pamasahe

10. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    I have worked in Makati for 3 years, I have been married to the same filipina for 26 years Paranaque is my home.

they are just my observations and things that annoy me....I
    andy, thats the way it is here... you know, some pinoys really dont know what road courtesy means. but my question is, youve been here working in makati for three years, married to a filipina 26 years and living in paranaque. are you still not used to the way things are going on here? i mean, 26 years married right? you must have been get used to it or know how to play things here in this 3rd world country.

my advice is just get along with it! "welcome to the philippines" if you cant beat 'em, join them! like my brit friend staying in ortigas, he put sirens & blinkers in his suburban coz he cant do anything about it....but he loves staying here because he loves his filipina wife as well as her culture and her whole selfbeing. unconditional it is. but since then, he got used to it then gets along with it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Ambulances on SOuth Super Highway