New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    As with mbt's response, pushrods still work better in some applications. Sort of like non-CRDi engines being better than CRDi's in some situations.

Na-explain na ito sa isang technical column sa Car and Driver dati. Hindi ko lang maalala exactly why pushrods are not going to go away anytime soon.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    True, pushrods work. So do carburetors, fluid shocks, push-button gearboxes, etc., but there's already better technology than those.

I also don't believe BMW will spend so much for research on the M5 and M6 5-liter DOHC engine only to come up with a similar 500 hp output to the Z06's 7-liter pushrod. There are certainly many advantages to all this.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by squala
    I also don't believe BMW will spend so much for research on the M5 and M6 5-liter DOHC engine only to come up with a similar 500 hp output to the Z06's 7-liter pushrod. There are certainly many advantages to all this.
    To note... the Z06 is cheaper by $15K than the M5.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda
    because they don't bother with the r&d, hehe...they just make a bigger mold for the block

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I'm kinda wondering why Chevy went back to pushrods when they have already built a DOHC layout in the ZR-1. True, they may have spent a lot in research and design for the engine (reflected on the hefty ZR-1 premium over the pushrod model), but shouldn't they have just developed that further for the current car?
    The engine was too big for the new chassis, it was too expensive, and just too well-engineered.

I don't agree completely on the cost of DOHC, though... BMW is a prestige brand... if Honda were making that car, it'd cost maybe $70,000, not over $100,000... but then, their 300hp NSX is about that expensive already.

Americans are very fond of the "don't fix it if it ain't broke" variety of thinking in automotive engineering... hence beam axles, leaf springs, pushrods, ancient HUGE engines producing much less hp/liter than the engines in our japanese compacts... and this is just their sports cars!

Much as I applaud their ability to make old tech last long, there ought to be a limit... I mean, even the Japanese are doing it now... Beam axles are coming back to our cars (*sob*), engines are getting bigger... (2.4-2.5 liters for performance sports compacts? sacrilege!)... Honda's gone almost all-SOHC (better packaging, supposedly)... I won't be surprised if the next Jazz/Fit or Toyota Echo comes with new-age leaf-springs to save even more space... just think about it... they'll call it a "shape-memory alloy flexible horizontal suspension member"...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    That premium goes to refinement, much more creature comforts and overall sophistication. The Z06 is simply a supercar that's made from the cheapest stuff on earth. It's got crude 60s technology with suspension laughed at by the Top Gear guys. The standard Vette produced a fast but messy lap on their track, and I doubt it if the more powerful version is any neater. The M5 should be much more agile.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    That premium goes to refinement, much more creature comforts and overall sophistication. The Z06 is simply a supercar that's made from the cheapest stuff on earth. It's got crude 60s technology with suspension laughed at by the Top Gear guys. The standard Vette produced a fast but messy lap on their track, and I doubt it if the more powerful version is any neater. The M5 should be much more agile.
    But it still got the job done right?

Chevy Corvette - currently 15th place

BMW M3 CSL - currently 19th place

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    But it still got the job done right?

Chevy Corvette - currently 15th place

BMW M3 CSL - currently 19th place
    yep. some people (and it seems like most of them live in america) just want relatively cheap speed. it's why the camaro and mustang have sold so well for so long.

i realize it's unfair to put the corvette in that group, because the vette is an excellent all-around performer, but it's built on the same concept. some people just need to be open-minded that there is more than one way to get high performance

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    The previous-model Mustang's pushrod V8s have been replaced by SOHC (GT) and DOHC (Cobra) units in 1995. The new engines were much more refined, and even if the still pushrod Camaro and its Firebird twin were more powerful, more buyers still got the Mustang. It's a far better everyday car. Those GM duos are simply cheap performance, at the expense of quality, comfort, etc.

At the strip or track, they can get the job done as well, faster than the Mustang, but which pony car is left standing?

10. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Yeah but the M5 apparently broke! " A bit fragile " were the words used to describe the M5. Nonetheless, its still a hell of a car!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Why the pushrods (still)?