New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Fourth, parang automatic lang sakin basta me nakita ako slope na pababa, i put the gear in neutral and relax, turning my car into a go-cart.
    That practice will always result in a non-pass in the driving portion of the licensing exam in any jurisdiction. When your car is not in gear while it is moving, you're not in full control of your car. You've just been lucky the 20 years that you've been driving. Very dangerous, IMHO....

2. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    i agree its not very safe to put the car in nuetral while driving in down slopes not just becaused it will not give you much control of you car, even the disc brakes will wear off much faster i always leave it to either 2nd or 3rd gear.

routine:
    check for the rear view and side mirrors
    start the engine check if the car is in neutral (syempre)
    well ako lang naman gumagamit ng car ko so the rest on the go na
    lock evry single door as well while driving (central locking system naman eh)
    weekly check on tire pressure and water
    for starters ko lang ginawa yung barefoot after that d ko na ginawa uli

on long trips...
    thats when i check for the tires, lights, and spare tires
    engine as well e.g water, oil, clean spark pluggs and check if the tools are all in the back

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by afterglow View Post
    That practice will always result in a non-pass in the driving portion of the licensing exam in any jurisdiction. When your car is not in gear while it is moving, you're not in full control of your car. You've just been lucky the 20 years that you've been driving. Very dangerous, IMHO....
    duly noted on the cons of clutch driving and neutral coasting (??) hehe how about coasting downhill in the proper gear (e.g. 3rd) pero instead of rev-ing...tapak sa clutch? ok lang ba un?

btw, i think you have me confused with another poster in this thread, i ain't the one with 20years of driving experience, i'm the relatively-new-to-the-whole-driving-thingy guy

4. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jayemkay View Post
    duly noted on the cons of clutch driving and neutral coasting (??) hehe how about coasting downhill in the proper gear (e.g. 3rd) pero instead of rev-ing...tapak sa clutch? ok lang ba un?
    AFAIK, not good in downhill and naka apak sa clutch sinasakal mo makina, unless sa traffic ka

5. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    For me, upon getting inside the car, check if the car is in neutral, lock doors, handbrake engaged, check mirrors, then start engine. Before stepping on the gas, release handbrake.

During driving, I have a habit of checking if the handbrake lever is down from time to time. Di na kasi gumagana ang handbrake lamp sa dash ko.

On downhill slopes, I also have a tendency to put the gear in neutral (thinking that I can save gas), but now I realized from your posts that this is not a good practice from the safety viewpoint. Hence, I must not do this again.

On barefoot driving, once ko lang talaga nagawa. That was when basa ang paa ko from swimming pool and wala akong tsinelas. Pero I believe it's safer if you have some footwear on. Sanay-sanayan lang cguro. Kasi I don't have difficulty driving kahit ano pa ang nasa paa ko - thick rubber shoes, formal shoes, slippers, etc.

I'm also fond of listening to radio or ipod while driving but when my car started to have noise problems, di na ako nagpapatugtog para mas mapakinggan ko nang maigi ang klase ng ingay ng oto ko...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jayemkay View Post

btw, i think you have me confused with another poster in this thread, i ain't the one with 20years of driving experience, i'm the relatively-new-to-the-whole-driving-thingy guy
    Oh sorry...medyo antok ako nung nag-post.

When going downhill keep it in gear. Which gear depends on how steep the grade is and how fast you wanna go. The car will remain in control and you'll be able to engine brake, increasing your fuel economy and saving your brakes.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    thanks again for your many tips and advices, tsikoteers. Newbie drivers like me can learn so much from a forum like this.

i'm already starting to practice laying of the clutch, pero all i can say it it will be a work in progress hehehe.

with regards to engine breaking, i rarely or almost never do this since "pitik-pitik" break ang style ko talaga, and i seem to recall some cons about engine breaking, well, misconceptions or not, share ko lang ung link below for your perusal:

http://www.dailyfueleconomytip.com/d...ngine-braking/

it's quite a useful website, you guys might also want to subscribe.

FYI.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by afterglow View Post
    Oh sorry...medyo antok ako nung nag-post.

When going downhill keep it in gear. Which gear depends on how steep the grade is and how fast you wanna go. The car will remain in control and you'll be able to engine brake, increasing your fuel economy and saving your brakes.
    Engine braking increases fuel economy? Saves the brakes, definitely. But increases fuel economy?

Engine braking entails downshifting which means higher RPM (at first, then it goes down), so how can that increase your fuel economy?

Can you please enlighten us?

On a side note, add ko na rin, pag downhill, never ako nag-neu-neutral... (well, almost never, siyempre pag mga 5 degrees lang ang slope, kaya pa, but the steeper the "hill," the more dangerous, so pag alam kong mag-a-accelerate ang car, I don't shift to neutral).
    Last edited by woohoo; November 6th, 2008 at 11:31 AM.

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    *woohoo, click mo yung link na binigay ni jayemkay, binara ng mga nag comment yung nag tip na HUWAG mag engine brake dahil di naman nakakatipid na gasolina....

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    my routine:
    -unlock engine, lock seatbelt
    -step on clutch, put gear to neutral
    -start engine while foot on clutch (some cars won't start without putting foot on clutch for safety, in case gear is not in neutral)
    -adjust mirrors, check door locks, check surrounding obstructions
    -move to first gear or reverse (w/ foot still on clutch)
    -release hand brake (for safety reasons, in case you're parked in slope)
    -then zoom

our similarities:
    -I also go barefoot or at least w/ socks
    -my wife is my speed sensor, may batok ako pag napabilis

our difference:
    -when going downhill, never put gear to neutral nor foot on clutch, alalay sa brake, no revs

note:
    -on steep uphill, however, leave gear on 1st and don't change gear nor step on clutch 'coz you might slide down losing the momentum

(I have driven in practically in all major roads of Saudi Arabia including their mountain provinces, in a tour ride way back in the '90s)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
What's Your Driving Routine