New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Crosswind's normal engine temp is at the middle. Normally the manufacturer set it at 50% and it'll only exceeds that if overheating occurs. But there are some that are just above the C mark or nearly a third even running for hours. Kainggit sila
    Last edited by XTO; November 7th, 2007 at 03:03 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by XTO View Post
    Crosswind's normal engine temp is at the middle. Normally the manufacturer set it at 50% and it'll only exceeds that if overheating occurs. But there are some that are just above the C mark or nearly a third even running for hours. Kainggit sila
    Bakit ka naiinggit? I bet, those cars don't have thermostats and hence, are not running at the optimal engine temperature. Instead, they're ruining their engine that way. For oil to work, it has to be hot and thin to circulate into every bit of mechanical mating surface in the engine outside the water jacket. If the engine is too cold, the oil will be too thick, and hence the engine will not be protected from advanced wear. Running just below the normal rating is perfectly fine, as long as it does not dip too low from the standard level on a prolonged basis. Likewise, the opposite is true for having a car that runs hotter than normal.

On the other hand, those without thermostats risk having gauges that do not provide the most accurate estimate of temperature. This is because engine temperature is usually measured at the block, and if so then the in the absence of the thermostat to regulate water flow and engine temperature, the cooling system cannot effectively flow through the engine so the gauge may be showing you it's running low but in fact it's not circulating properly. Running without a thermostat also leads to longer periods for warm up, and hence, a prolonged colder engine than one with a thermostat. This is because before the temperature reaches a certain level the thermostat remains closed. This allows the water to circulate within the block, heating it up and getting the oil hot and thin at the same time. When the rated temperature is reached, the thermostat opens and can then be cooled by the radiator, and so this is how the engine maintains its operational temperature. The lack of a thermostat is most disadvantageous when starting up, and when idling for long periods. Sounds familiar?

Here in the US when it gets colder, the factory thermostats are recommended. In fact, some people put cardboards sa radiator to quickly warm up the engine. There in Manila, you can install a lower rated thermostat instead, but never completely remove one from the engine and run it that way. A lower rated thermostat will allow the engine to run cooler properly than one without the thermostat. For the summer here I planned on using a lower rated thermostat on mine, but I realized it's too much of a hassle and the factory rated thermostat is just fine for conditions here. Now that it's colder, I'm glad I don't have to change the thermostat again just because I need more heat.
    Last edited by mbeige; November 7th, 2007 at 03:24 PM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    +1... if the vehicle runs too cold, the engine is definitely not happy.

Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    82 degrees C for both MB's (they have a temp gauge with actual numbers)
    Oops... forgot about the Europeans...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Almost at halfway mark for my M6, and Honda City.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    Bakit ka naiinggit? I bet, those cars don't have thermostats and hence, are not running at the optimal engine temperature. Instead, they're ruining their engine that way. For oil to work, it has to be hot and thin to circulate into every bit of mechanical mating surface in the engine outside the water jacket. If the engine is too cold, the oil will be too thick, and hence the engine will not be protected from advanced wear. Running just below the normal rating is perfectly fine, as long as it does not dip too low from the standard level on a prolonged basis. Likewise, the opposite is true for having a car that runs hotter than normal.
    my father's in law's tamaraw fx is one example that has a 1/3 normal engine temp. we used it last nov 1 with hours of traffic along crame near san juan cemetery and i notice that it didn't even reach the halfway mark... he doesn't remove the thermostat daw naman but put only an auxilliary fan..

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    line below halfway and never reached halfway of the gauge.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Same as most of the others, consistently stays at a line below the halfway mark, at the most.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by XTO View Post
    my father's in law's tamaraw fx is one example that has a 1/3 normal engine temp. we used it last nov 1 with hours of traffic along crame near san juan cemetery and i notice that it didn't even reach the halfway mark... he doesn't remove the thermostat daw naman but put only an auxilliary fan..
    If other Tamaraw FX's have the correct operating temp set to the same as your father's, then you should be fine. If it's below normal, then that's where it's running too cold. My question was bakit ka naiinggit, because other cars are calibrated differently.

There's a difference between saying that 1/3 of the gauge would read as standard operating temp, and saying that the temp reads 1/3 of the normal operating temp.

Plus, your father might have installed a lower rated thermostat, which is perfectly fine, but hopefully not too cold, however.
    Last edited by mbeige; November 7th, 2007 at 05:38 PM.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    On my Audi A4 1.8T:

80 degrees daytime highway runs
    90 degrees daytime and nighttime traffic
    75 degrees nighttime rainy nights.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Mine is always in half way

my ride is nissan sentra

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
What's your car's normal temperature level