New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Even if the resonator is not water tight, it will take some minutes for water to get in. But you shouldn't ever drive for more than a few seconds through a flood. If it will take half-a-minute or more, don't even try.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Trust me, I’ve been there and done that, and it’s just no fun at all.
    Might I ask niky, what car were you in when this happened?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Nissan Sentra, one kilometer down Jose Abad Santos. Was doing okay, then a truck passed by...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Ah, the 626. Perfect intake placement. Too bad the car was ground-scrapingly low.
    Oh! Fellow Former 626 owners, I see. I miss that car.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    Pajero and strada, above the wheel well and air intake.
    About the same place for the Prado. The Grand Starex, not sure. Behind the grille, I think?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The 626 was the most under-appreciated car of its time. Shame Mazda had so many problems back then. And shame it didn't get a 1.8 or 2.0 V6 from the MX-3/Lantis instead of that turd of a four-cylinder it had.

Quote Originally Posted by IMm29 View Post
    About the same place for the Prado. The Grand Starex, not sure. Behind the grille, I think?
    Between the hood and grille. High up naman.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for the heads-up sir Nicky! This is indeed very informational. How about when the car is at rest. Is it advisable to unplug the battery terminals as so to protect the ECU?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Retz View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up sir Nicky! This is indeed very informational. How about when the car is at rest. Is it advisable to unplug the battery terminals as so to protect the ECU?
    It helps prevent blown capacitors and the like, but a car standing in a flood is still a big, expensive headache.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Same goes with the Sonata. Hood and grill. It has pretty nice air intake placement IMO.. I swear surviving that Quezon Avenue U-turn with floods splashing up my windshield was strikingly frightening.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I can't access the link anymore.

I just drove through gutter deep flood waters tonight in Buendia. It was so frightening I was already crying while I was driving. I could hardly see the road. It was raining too hard and I have bad eyesight. I could only see the flashing of those cars with hazard lights.

It's a good thing I was with my Mom and she told me to just keep in mind what Dad taught us when driving through floods. The problem is that was with a manual car! I just know to stay in gear and not to shift then pump the brakes after passing the floods. Tinuloy ko na since I saw a Civic and City pass the flood.

What's the protocol when driving an AT car through flood? What do I need to do after?

OT: I followed an exsior about half the drive from Lucky Chinatown to Quirino/Taft. He seemed to know where to pass. I was adamant taking Lagusnilad but when he did, sumunod na ko and it was a good call. It started raining hard about 10 mins pa lang and Lagusnilad was not flooded yet.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Survival Guide: Driving Through Floods 101