New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    unless you're doing an emergency brake or high-speed braking scenario, i sincerely doubt you'll notice a difference without getting to technical about it..

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    yes, mas mahaba ang stopping distance when you go N. (specialy with a worning out tranny vehicles[too early downshifts]) but if you are thinking of saving fuel by doing that... not effective...I used to do that. not to save fuel, but just an "N" addiction of mine. even now I do it sometimes... naging BAD habbit ko na kasi eh...
    Last edited by rion; July 28th, 2007 at 03:55 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Ah. Thanks for the input guys. Actually, naisip ko lang yun kasi while naka-drive na ako ng AT, mas sanay ako sa MT before. Eh style ko nun pag pa slow down na ninu-neutral ko na before full stop. Bale I just coast along. Obviously, hindi naman siya emergency situation or anything pero parang feeling ko mas malakas ang stopping power ko at mas matipid sa gas.

I was just wondering if this could be used sa AT. I've never had this problem with AT's before kasi parang ambagal na nga ng AT's sa akin eh. Pero yung FXT ko kasi parang ayaw pumara sa lakas ng batak eh (new pa siya). Would you suggest a brake upgrade or something?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    your FXT is A/T right?

I don't think upgrading brakes is the answer, I suggest coast along slowly before full stop nalang. it will even save you fuel. I think it's the habbit you have in M/T, the "avoid lower gears" thingy. so you go fast or in high gears in M/T and you just slow down when the full stop is very near na. while in A/T, you go slower and just coast along when the full stop is still NOT so near pa...

M/T is like a pushing boat, while A/T is like pushing wave. the boat is faster than the wave. to stop the boat is just to stop pushing, while the waves, even you block it, there are still bit's of waves left pushing...

that waves is really your ATF.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    I learned a lot from this site

Anyway, instead of starting another thread, just want to ask regarding emergency stopping a vehicle with AT if it looses its brakes? (specially running at highways or EX way)

Safety First! yes,, it is.. but what if that happen? AFAIK, MT can be slowed by the lower gears? How about for AT? Can one shift to P for emergency stopping of the car? (to save life.....at least)

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by pentium9; July 30th, 2007 at 12:22 PM. Reason: wrong spelling

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Shifting to P while driving will take out the parking pawl and eventually ruin your transmission. That's why you can't shift to P from D without pressing the button, failsafe mechanism yan.

Think of it this way, the brakes and transmission do not directly increase the grip or the stopping force. What actually does that is your tires. If your tires are at its max decelerating rate, shifting to a lower gear (AT or MT) will not help. So to answer your question if you lose your brakes, put on the hazards, let faster vehicles pass you and wait for a good, long opening, then shift to the next lower gear (when driving an AT make sure you know the gear's speed limits - check your owner's manuals) until you can shift another gear down or until you get to the shoulder safely. Shift to P or N and activate the handbrake, then get out of the vehicle and stay as far away from it and call for help, some reckless drivers might plow into you (passing on the shoulder, etc).

ABS increases stopping distance too. The key is to mash the brakes when using ABS, and use the steering wheel to steer away and avoid a collision.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by pentium9 View Post
    Safety First! yes,, it is.. but what if that happen? AFAIK, MT can be slowed by the lower gears? How about for AT? Can one shift to P for emergency stopping of the car? (to save life.....at least)
    Shifting to P while in motion will almost guarantee ruining your transmission.

When you lose your brakes, the first option of course is the emergency or parking brake. If that's also gone, you can force an A/T to downshift by shifting to 2 or L (or equivalent). There are maximum speed ranges for each gear, so you have to know them and keep in mind NOT to downshift if you're going faster than the limit. Of course, if there's no other way, go for it. A busted transmission is still better than losing yours or other people's lives. ;)

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Using the E-brake alone to stop the car also might force the car into a spin, especially if you had to avoid something. I'd use it as a last resort.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Hmm...good idea. I'll try coasting by just lifting the gas pedal fully.

Yes, I believe engine braking by shifting to lower D gears would be better than shifting to P -- pag nawala na nga naman tranny mo, wala ka ng engine brake.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the response guys!

I think I would go to forcing to lower gears instead...(just in case!) . I'll try to keep in mind all of your advise.

A part of defensive driving is being prepared and have the presence of mind in times of emergency.
    Last edited by pentium9; July 31st, 2007 at 07:35 PM. Reason: grammar check

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
AT stopping distance?