New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    After about more than a month canvassing for prices of parts of a BMW 2002 tiit (turbo), plus, checking out the cost for a full blown body & chassis resotration from decent body restorers, I reckon that I may as well "rob a bank" to be able to afford this project/endeavor.

Since a bachelor friend who's into car restoration as a hobby offered to just buy from me the 1974 BMW2002 tiit, I am now seriously thinking of relenting and just let go of this project. Part of me would like to hang on, but the family man in me also pushes me to just let go and give up.

What do you think guys?

2. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    restoring an old flame of yours is always gratifying! reminiscing all the good times that car represents is priceless! but due to hard times we are forced to be practical and think of the future....

if your moneybank gives a thumbs up then why not! if not... you might just end up in missery....

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    You can always restore it slowly.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    It simply depends on how much 'consumer surplus' you think you'll get out of restoring your old car. Would a hefty sum of money bring an abstract ROI to you? Definitely it's very impractical, but if it will really make you really happy, why not?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the problem with a full body restoration is of course the price, but even if you had tons of money, you'll still have to source original parts (or very high quality replicas), and use a body guy who has tons of experience with bmw specifically - otherwise your restoration will look like a crappy kit car.

the 2002 turbo is definitely a classic with huge cool factor, so i certainly would love to see you take the plunge, but definitely make sure you get quality work (which costs a lot)

6. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Kung kaya naman....GO!
    Kung saan ka maligaya

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    ser dindo,
    kayang kaya niyo yan ser.. ituloy..

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Reality bites and so if you think you cannot finance the restoration of your BMW, you might want to sell it off or find a sponsor for it.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    M54 is right! In the metropolis, I was only able to shortlist 2 (out of the 8 body restorers I screened) which can properly handle a classic car. However, the cost estimates of the 2 is pretty on the high side (which I fully understand).

However, bulk of the restoration cost will really go to the suspension system and engine wear & tear parts.

My tendency right now is to just let go and sell off to my friend (who's a bachelor) who can see through the restoration completion.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    The April 2003 issue of European Car magazine has a restored 2002 featured.

The intro of the article said:
    Throw enough money into a hole, and eventually it will fill. Throw the same money at a car, and the results aren't quite as predictable...

Make no mistake, the cash deployed throughout this BMW could buy a brand new M3 - with a nav system.

IMHO, if you really want it, go for it, even slowly. If you have doubts, let your friend have it.
    Last edited by the_wildthing; October 3rd, 2004 at 11:33 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Is it Still Worth Restoring?