New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    How to determine if odometer was rollback? Is buy and sell group or association doing something to prevent this? they will also suffer at the end coz no one will trust them.

I myself is very hesitant to buy a used car from an agent or dealer coz of what i've heard about odometer rollback.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    ala nag comment iwas ata bka puro agent ah
    salamat pero tlamak na talaga ata odometer rollback sino pa
    magtitiwala sa kanila unless na baguhin nila ang kanilang
    pamamaraan.

Sino nawawalan e di sila rin, pagtagal-tagal ewan ko lang kung makabenta
    pa sila kung dinadaya nila mga legitimate buyer wherein their hard
    earn money will go to waste.

Not only the agent, some rich peope also go to well known auto
    repair shop to adjust their odometer and then sell their car, my bro
    told me.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew_ph View Post
    ala nag comment iwas ata bka puro agent ah
    salamat pero tlamak na talaga ata odometer rollback sino pa
    magtitiwala sa kanila unless na baguhin nila ang kanilang
    pamamaraan.

Sino nawawalan e di sila rin, pagtagal-tagal ewan ko lang kung makabenta
    pa sila kung dinadaya nila mga legitimate buyer wherein their hard
    earn money will go to waste.

Not only the agent, some rich peope also go to well known auto
    repair shop to adjust their odometer and then sell their car, my bro
    told me.
    Be patient. It's the weekend, and not many of the senior members are on.

Personally, I don't know of any sure-fire way to tell whether an odometer is rolled-back or not. The best, I guess, is to inspect everything else and see if it looks as "fresh" and "new" as the odometer says it should be.

The odometer is only one factor to consider. Maraming de-gasgas at inabusong sasakyan na medyo konti lang ang kilometro sa odo, at mayroong mga alagang-alaga at magandang condition na sasakyan na mataas ang reading sa odo.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Be patient. It's the weekend, and not many of the senior members are on.

Personally, I don't know of any sure-fire way to tell whether an odometer is rolled-back or not. The best, I guess, is to inspect everything else and see if it looks as "fresh" and "new" as the odometer says it should be.

The odometer is only one factor to consider. Maraming de-gasgas at inabusong sasakyan na medyo konti lang ang kilometro sa odo, at mayroong mga alagang-alaga at magandang condition na sasakyan na mataas ang reading sa odo.
    steering wheel color and its finish, ito ang nakakaligtaan ayusin he he he

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yun din turo sa akin, tingnan ung steering wheel kung laspag na. ung tipong hindi na kapit ung goma don sa wheel mismo. kaso yari ka naman kung pinalita ung steering wheel. hehehe

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    Sad to say, there i sno law protecting consumers against this fraudulent act. I have seen this in my previous close to purchase transactions. I always look for the service record and again, this is not fool-proof. Twice I have verified the service record with the casa and twice it was proven that even the service records are tampered. It is good to know people from the delaerships so they may let you peek at the supposed records of the cars they have serviced.

One time I almost purchased a RAV4 that was previously owned by the actor Marvin Agustin. It was displayed in Caltex Alabang and it was really spanking clean in and out. I read the odometer at 128t but you will not see any signs of abuse. A week later I saw it again in Greenhills (Cars r US yata yung sa may EDSA near Camp Crame and Ford Edsa) and now the odometer is down to around 65t. When I checked with the dealership, not only was it fake but they also reset the meter. Of course it wasnt the fault of the previous owner but the buy and sell dealer who had it reset. I was told that they can even do digital meter at P7500. Also, my brother bought a Ford Expedition which had low mileage and only a few months later, the digits are no longer visible and the digits appearance have become erratic.

Eto pa, when i was selling my Honda Hyper Vtec motorcyle in another forum site, a fellow forumer offered odometer resettig at P2500. Since then, I never wanted to see his face anymore as this was pure cheating.

Lesson here is be more vigilant and resourceful in finding out th ehistory of the car that you are buying. Their apperance can only tell you a little but a thorough check should be practiced. Don't be in a rush to make that decision as there thousands of units being sold.HTH.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    thanks mga bro at least pag informed mga buyer, maiiwasan ganyan mga klaseng agent or dealer, hindi naman lahat syempre kahit pano meron pa rin na straight dyan.

thanks.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    my bro told me one way to check if odometer has been tampered is by checking if there is finger print inside, but he said if the person who did the job is professional and very careful, then you wouldnt find a clue that it has been tampered.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew_ph View Post
    my bro told me one way to check if odometer has been tampered is by checking if there is finger print inside, but he said if the person who did the job is professional and very careful, then you wouldnt find a clue that it has been tampered.
    You don't even need to hold the inside of the odometer. You can swap odometers with lower mileage vehicles or from the tons of spare parts available at Evang or Banaue... and like fireblade says, even digital odometers can be tampered.

I've read stories by owners who've actually accidentally reset their digital odometers. There really is no way to be sure. That's why it's more important to see the condition of the rest of the vehicle, instead of relying on the "low mileage" claims in sale ads.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    There's really no assurance of untampered odometers. Perhaps the only thing that can somehow serve as evidence that the reading is authentic is the latest maintenance records. You can check the date and mileage of the last checkup.

If you ask me, I would not care that much about mileage. I'd rather look onto more critical factors like engine, suspension and interior wear-and-tear. A good mechanic should be able to help you determine the condition of the first two, and as for the third one, here are some helpful tips:

1. Have any seat cover removed to check if the original uphostery is still intact. The seller may ask you to have them removed instead, so it should be pretty reasonable. If he/she refuses at all, go find another car.

2. The sound system should be good. Ask a sound expert friend to help you find out if the speakers are still ok or already need replacement. If the head unit is CD, ask the owner if it can play burned or pirated discs. You can also check the user manual of the unit. If it doesn't, then at least it should play an original without any problems. You may want to bring your own disc. Also, play the last track because normally, if this plays perfectly, the other tracks will too.

3. The steering wheel is better without any previous aftermarket wraps installed. It will make it 'perspire' and wear out prematurely. Also, grip the top part of the wheel and try moving it back and forth to see if it's still glued properly to the metal frame inside.

Hope this helps you.

P.S. Wag kang magparinig next time kung walang reply kaagad ok? There are many experts posting here and they can help you with proper courtesy on your part. Almost all threads are replied to here, even stupid ones, and since yours isn't anyway, patience is a virtue, as Niky said.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Odometer Rollback Or Pitik