New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by too_jealous
    hi! planning to finally get my first car ever in a month's time. would really appreciate your thoughts on the bmw series 1 or a new mini cooper. alin mas ok kaya? am not into cars at all so pls help.
    Are you currently based in the RP?
    The new Mini Cooper is a head turner, its a modern classic.

The BMW 1-series has some advantages too. Being sold here officially, I assume it would be easier to service the BMW 1-series than the new Mini.
    What the 1-series lacks in image, it gains in safety, handling(RWD) and slightly more interior space.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If this is a first car, I wouldn't pick either. But if I had to, I'd pick the Mini.

You really ought to consider a "cheaper" car for a beginners car. If you can't stomach a secondhand, a new Civic is a good choice, or the Focus, if you crave that "Euro" feel. And the Focus is almost (but not quite) as entertaining to drive as a Cooper.

As for maintenance, both cars are BMW, so the chances of having lots of minor irritating electrical and electronic niggles in both is pretty high. And servicing costs will be... interesting. There are no MINI "casas" in the Philippines, but I think BMW can service them.

The MINI is cuter, though, and a little more practical. It has the added advantage, though, of having the best resale value of almost any car on the planet.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered
    mini.

regarding the questions on cost of ownership, they're made by the same company. reliability and cost to maintain are roughly equal.
    Same sentiments... Mini ako.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Between the two, I'd choose the Mini, although the 1 series' RWD is making me look over my shoulder.

As mentioned, mas magandang mag-invest ka muna sa isang practice car. Or you can keep your money in the bank for the meantime while you take those needed driving lessons. Especially kung nasa Pilipinas ka and you start encountering those roaring bus and truck drivers on the road. They couldn't care less if you're driving a pricey German car; once na mahalata nilang baguhan ka sa manibela, you're dead meat.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    thanks to all those who gave their inputs. sobrang helpful kayo. i called bmw libis this afternoon and found out that they are not authorized to sell minis pala so if ever daw gray market ako makakakuha which pretty much scares me kase wala naman ako masayadong alam din so definitely baka di na mini (sayang cute factor ! haha! )the guy who took my call asked for my number kasi daw pwde nila ko hanapan...
    after all your comments am seriously considering the habanera red civic as my first car . unless, bmw decides to have a promo within the month na 50% dp and 12 mos 0 interest and depends kung ma realize ko na i can be a good driver. am taking lessons this week. the only time when manila is traffic free! again, thanks ! so glad i found this forum.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Good Luck!

Drive safe...learn first the capabilities of your ride, bago i - push siya to it's racing limits. he he he... I'd suggest to learn and feel comfortable with the brakes first, the width next, and turning speed limit before the roll gets to you. ^_^

7. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravoexo
    In our traffic, or are you out of the country? The cons of the 1 series are the rear legroom (a really tight fit), and the small boot. But the pros are it's a rear wheel drive car, and the only models worth getting are the 120i and 130i. Mini's are always good, even if the new ones are bigger, bulkier...pero more powerful too.
    120i or 130i? you mean kung pang 118i lang budget ko wag na lang? what's wrong with the 118i?

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by too_jealous
    120i or 130i? you mean kung pang 118i lang budget ko wag na lang? what's wrong with the 118i?
    Nothing really, its just a bit weaker than the 150hp BMW 120i.
    The 118i uses a detuned 129hp 2.0 liter engine, both come with 6-speed A/T.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    1-series sucks, and I'm just biased against the current ugly BMW range. Mini all the way!

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    There are other better (and less costly) choices bet. the two luxury entry-level sub-compacts, you are currently pondering on. However, those alternative choices would be limited to mostly Japanese brands with the best bang-for-the-buck purchase in mind. Try either Mazda6 2.3, Honda Accord V6, 2006 Honda Civic 2.0, and you would still have with some spare change for other things. Would you consider SUVs or CUVs?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
my first car!