New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines



Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 63
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    784
    #1
    Hi there,

    I just got back after a long stint outside and together with some others...

    have a group that is in the process of restoring muscle cars to drive around manila. That is operative word - drive. No trailer queens. Yet, we would like them to have some show quality as well (no exactly concours) but very nice and presentable.

    Would you recommend doing it all in one place? Where?

    Or would you recommend we do it ourselves (since that is what other restorers do)? And something we have started doing since it takes forever and a day when you send it to your neighborhood talyer (who IMHO is more concerned about making money scamming insurance companies)

    Or do we farm out certain parts of the process? Like body and pain somewhere while engine somewhere else? What about interior? I have interiors being shipped in from US and have seen some horrid work here.

    Thoughts anyone?

  2. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    64
    #2
    It really depends on how involved you would like to be in the restoration. In my case, I have a friend who owns a restoration shop who's helping me supervise my own restoration. I hired my own tinsmith, painter and mechanic and they're doing the bodywork and most of the mechanicals at my place. It'll then get shipped off to another shop for rack & pinion installation, another shop for the exhaust, another shop for painting, another shop for interiors, fuel line & electricals, yet another place for aircon and finally to my audio installer for the stereo.

    Medyo mabusisi since kung may kulang na parts or may kulang na materials, ako ang bumibili. My friend drops by every week to check on the progress and point out kung may problema and what to do next. But, I can check on the progress every day.

    If that's too much then just bring it to a shop that knows what they're doing. Considering the huge amount of work involved in a full restoration, I think the amount they charge is reasonable. You might even end up saving since they know cheaper sources of parts, what can and can't be recycled and can avoid costly problems.

    My friend's shop can do most of the work but still sends cars out for the specialized stuff like exhaust, power steering, aircon & stereo but they'll make life so much simpler....

  3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    3,790
    #3
    the one in bulacan na suki ni Otep okay magrestore ng old cars like yours....pero in my opinion, kung meron kang time and you like grease on your hands, a DIY restoration is the best.

    I am currently restoring an 81 Toyota Starlet....and I want it done in a way that it would last another 25 years.

  4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    1,012
    #4
    yung nag-restore kay Otep is not into muscle cars. They are into vintage cars ("40's and '50's).

    I guess your best bet is to divide-up the work and have it done in Manila (if you're based here). I made a terrible mistake on having my car restored on a turn-key basis at Bulacan. It was a terrible and very costly mistake......

    My thoughts are:

    Paint - Alex at roosevelt
    Interior - Kelseat or Leder Interia
    Engine Tuning - DIY (I bought a factory repair manual from the U.S.)
    Underchassis - I'll just go to my favorite shop ERL Motorwerks in P. Tuason
    Trims and detailing - DIY (am into it anyway)

  5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33
    #5
    hey there,
    i know people in cavite who could work out cars, CART, cavite racing team,sm turn right,going to silang proper, nasa left side sila, look for mang ed, the owner, one stop shop na yun.

    do you happen to know where i can buy a ford mustang 1964-68 model?

  6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    784
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
    hey there,
    i know people in cavite who could work out cars, CART, cavite racing team,sm turn right,going to silang proper, nasa left side sila, look for mang ed, the owner, one stop shop na yun.

    do you happen to know where i can buy a ford mustang 1964-68 model?

    You have several ways to find a mustang from that era -

    buy and sell or classifieds as i am sure you are aware

    or you can go to people who actively buy and sell (or agents) - if you want we can send you a list of those we know

    or you can look for owners from groups or with cars parked in garages.

    there are pros and cons to every method so it pays to be patient and be armed with knowledge.

    also, the suggestions above seem to be good on restoration. why? makes sense that you farm out work to others who are experts. Helps you tap into expertise of others so you get best of all for your car.

    also, trusting just one sometimes is not all that good. best to get second and third opinions...part of research.

    PM if you want to join the e group.

  7. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,113
    #7
    passed by an area in the vicinity of ortigas in mandaluyong, there are 3 or so camaros parked in front and a few more muscle cars(fastbacks yata) being worked on sa loob ng lot. the camaros parked out front seem to be restored already. so they may be into restoration of these muscle cars. you might wanna check them out....though, not sure if these are the guys you had bad experiences from another thread.

    OT: for the owners or muscle cars who are not mechanically-inclined and without the factory service manual, for regular maintenance of running units, do these cars need special shops/tools to be worked on or your friendly neighborhood talyer would be able to work on them?

  8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    784
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by swordsman View Post
    passed by an area in the vicinity of ortigas in mandaluyong, there are 3 or so camaros parked in front and a few more muscle cars(fastbacks yata) being worked on sa loob ng lot. the camaros parked out front seem to be restored already. so they may be into restoration of these muscle cars. you might wanna check them out....though, not sure if these are the guys you had bad experiences from another thread.

    OT: for the owners or muscle cars who are not mechanically-inclined and without the factory service manual, for regular maintenance of running units, do these cars need special shops/tools to be worked on or your friendly neighborhood talyer would be able to work on them?
    I actually think your question is a good one regarding tools...also one question...would you recall where in mandaluyong you saw these cars? para ma drive by.

  9. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,113
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by midinite View Post
    I actually think your question is a good one regarding tools...also one question...would you recall where in mandaluyong you saw these cars? para ma drive by.
    If you'll drive straight along Boni Ave from EDSA going to Kalentong, pass the Boni Circle, keep going on Boni. Then you'll cross P. Cruz/Boni intersection with a Shell gas station on the right side. Next couple of intersection you'll see the Ortigas/Boni intersection, turn right into Ortigas, then right on the 1st intersection. A few meters ahead, and you'll pass by the muscle car shop/lot on your right.

  10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    784
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by swordsman View Post
    If you'll drive straight along Boni Ave from EDSA going to Kalentong, pass the Boni Circle, keep going on Boni. Then you'll cross P. Cruz/Boni intersection with a Shell gas station on the right side. Next couple of intersection you'll see the Ortigas/Boni intersection, turn right into Ortigas, then right on the 1st intersection. A few meters ahead, and you'll pass by the muscle car shop/lot on your right.
    that could be bowtie

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Muscle Cars - Who would you recommend for restoration in Manila?