New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ronald_m View Post
    Dude chill out.I'm just saying its not safe,Did i say you can't remove it using your lubid style?Why don't we just go to the strip you seems to know alot about cars.

BAck to the topic.
    hahahh, nobody mentioned it was NOT doable, but YOU, instead, made a claim that it is not safe at all in your first post (scroll up and read it as if you weren't the poster)... I'm just trying to say is "it's SAFELY doable" if you have the guts to do it...

hahah, you should tell yourself to chill out mhan, asking me to meet you at the strip because I seem to know a lot about cars? why? does running proves one whether s/he knows a lot about cars? We're having a tech' conversation here, not of a competition... oh and btw, I'm not really interested with 1/4 mile times, I have ZERO engine mod, while I have several suspension mods, I don't enjoy straight-line racing, to me it's just doesn't make much sense, I am way more interested with turning fast and using my brakes rather than accelerating fast... Where are you located? Me and some of my friends are planning to visit a local track some time in the future when their cars are ready to track... chill... :car:

now, back on topic...

2. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by blink21me View Post
    hahahh, nobody mentioned it was NOT doable, but YOU, instead, made a claim that it is not safe at all in your first post (scroll up and read it as if you weren't the poster)... I'm just trying to say is "it's SAFELY doable" if you have the guts to do it...

hahah, you should tell yourself to chill out mhan, asking me to meet you at the strip because I seem to know a lot about cars? why? does running proves one whether s/he knows a lot about cars? We're having a tech' conversation here, not of a competition... oh and btw, I'm not really interested with 1/4 mile times, I have ZERO engine mod, while I have several suspension mods, I don't enjoy straight-line racing, to me it's just doesn't make much sense, I am way more interested with turning fast rather than accelerating fast... Where are you located? Me and some of my friends are planning to visit a local track some time in the future when their cars are ready to track... chill... :car:

now, back on topic...
    Ofcourse man i want to meet you personally that way i know you're not leaving in a cyber world.Maybe we can compare notes.Btw i'm located near englistown raceway.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    *ronald_m: Dude, you need to chill.

It's common knowledge by now that you live in the US, yes, you might have a fast car, and that things are different there.

The rope or wire-binding method of dismounting coil springs is not ideal, but it's the best you can do sometimes given the level of equipment we have in most garages here in the Philippines.

I've seen it done. I prefer the compressor method myself... but it's laughable to think that you could seriously injure yourself on bound springs.

Before you think we're going all bohemian on you, think about it... when you bind springs, you bind them at the amount of compression that you get with the car on a jackstand. That's with the spring at something like 50% compression. If the rope gives, it gives gradually, and the spring bounces back. It's possible to get a bruise if it hits you, but it's not as bad as if you've got the spring compressed 100% and you cut the ties all at once. You have the rope or wire wrapped multiple times and in multiple places. THis isn't like making one loop and tying it together like a shoe lace. In fact, it's hard to unbind the sucker when you're putting it back in.

In fact, for safety's sake, some mechanics use ropes or wire to bind the springs even when using a compressor, just to make sure it doesn't accidentally slip out.

Hot rodders used to do it that way. It's relatively safe... well, as safe as anything can be when you're working under a jacked up car. But hell, I've seen cases where even hydraulic lifts fail (thank God it was just one side...), so nothing is 100% sure.

And this is the second time that I've seen you call out somebody on what they know. And this is seriously not cool. We here at tsikot are here to try and help other tsikoteers and motorists with their problems. If you don't like the advice, state it, but don't turn it personal... and don't try to make out like you're better than them because of your background.

Now, really... chill.
    Last edited by niky; August 24th, 2006 at 03:18 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Ofcourse man i want to meet you personally that way i know you're not leaving in a cyber world.Maybe we can compare notes.Btw i'm located near englistown raceway.
    hehehh, just google "blink21me", that should be enough about me... I don't keep/take notes, what do you do that for? Impress people?

Englishtown raceway? Is that in NJ? hhmmm, nah, let me know when yo come down to the bayarea...
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

It's common knowledge by now that you live in the US, yes, you might have a fast car, and that things are different there.

The rope or wire-binding method of dismounting coil springs is not ideal, but it's the best you can do sometimes given the level of equipment we have in most garages here in the Philippines.

I've seen it done. I prefer the compressor method myself... but it's laughable to think that you could seriously injure yourself on bound springs.

Before you think we're going all bohemian on you, think about it... when you bind springs, you bind them at the amount of compression that you get with the car on a jackstand. That's with the spring at something like 50% compression. If the rope gives, it gives gradually, and the spring bounces back. It's possible to get a bruise if it hits you, but it's not as bad as if you've got the spring compressed 100% and you cut the ties all at once. You have the rope or wire wrapped multiple times and in multiple places. THis isn't like making one loop and tying it together like a shoe lace. In fact, it's hard to unbind the sucker when you're putting it back in.

In fact, for safety's sake, some mechanics use ropes or wire to bind the springs even when using a compressor, just to make sure it doesn't accidentally slip out.

Hot rodders used to do it that way. It's relatively safe... well, as safe as anything can be when you're working under a jacked up car. But hell, I've seen cases where even hydraulic lifts fail (thank God it was just one side...), so nothing is 100% sure.

And this is the second time that I've seen you call out somebody on what they know. And this is seriously not cool. We here at tsikot are here to try and help other tsikoteers and motorists with their problems. If you don't like the advice, state it, but don't turn it personal... and don't try to make out like you're better than them because of your background.

Now, really... chill.
    well said... :cheers2:

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    wahhhh! wala ako mahanap na honda hatch. meron ba kayo alam na link na nagbebebta ng honda hatch kahit na 2nd hand or new ones.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    my suggestion aside from the facelift to SiR look is to fix everything and convert it to LHD specs. I just noticed that the wipers are still oriented for RHD. but i like the hatch as is, only with better rims.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

Now, really... chill.

The problem with you is, you like giving advice to people but you really don't have hands on experience.You said it's laughable to think that you can't SERIOUSLY injure yourself on bound spring.Yes you can seriously injure yourself especially if you're working on high spring rate not on saggy springs,lol.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    The problem with you is, you like giving advice to people but you really don't have hands on experience.You said it's laughable to think that you can't SERIOUSLY injure yourself on bound spring.Yes you can seriously injure yourself especially if you're working on high spring rate not on saggy springs,lol.
    Dude, you're overrating it, I can't imagine how you can seriously injure yourself by doing this . . . :um: . . . If you were the one doing it, would you point the top of the assembly towards your face? Would you put one of your fingers inside the spring? How cautious would you be? I honestly think that even a 15-yr old with very little experience working with suspension can do it safely...

I'm starting to wonder, have you ever injured yourself by trying this out before? honestly???
    :boom: . . . :injured:

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Eherm. I've been driving and tinkering for over ten years. I've driven scooters, cars, jeeps, 4x4s, vans, trucks (that was an interesting experience) and beaters so crappy that you had to get out every four miles or so, remove the air intake, choke the carb and push them downhill to get them started again.

I've had three or four sets of springs changed on various cars. And that's not counting the number of times I've helped friends do it or have it done. And only once at a garage well-equipped enough to have a spring compressor.

Hands-on? Obviously, I can't do a top overhaul by myself, namely because I don't have the tools or time to do it, and I can't be bothered to look up the proper torque rates of all the head bolts and what consarn position the cams and timing chain/belt should be in, but I could if I really wanted to. I've seen it done often enough.

I've tinkered and broken lots of other things, though. I can change belts, remove and re-attach fuel rails and injectors, change and/or clean spark plugs, adjust my timing, remove and return intake and exhaust manifolds, throttle bodies, MAF sensors, etcetera. I can do oil changes, radiator flushes, radiator fan replacements and the like.

Everything else? I just watch and learn.

RE: saggy springs? the last set we did this with were lowering springs that were stiffer than bejeesus.

Now listen:

I said nothing is 100% sure.

Obviously, you can injure yourself on bound springs if you don't know how to do it. But to injure yourself on bound springs when doing it properly is ridiculous.

Like I said, it's not as if you're rolling one loop of packaging tape around both ends of the spring and calling it a job well done. The springs are wrapped intricately (sometimes, too intricately) with rope or wire, at multiple points.

And like I said, we're not compressing the springs 100%... it's more like 50% compression. That's a guesstimate, but what do I mean by 50% compression? That means, whatever the darn spring rate is, the spring is only six inches or so shorter than at full length. Often much less, and only to the amount it requires to get it out of the mount.

Now, granted, like blink says, if it pops back up, and if you place one end against the wall or the ground, and the other three inches from your face, you could possibly lose a tooth. But then, I've never seen a mechanic dumb enough to do that.

But I've seen people with fingers lost from using "real" tools. So, yeah, compared to everything else, it's relatively safe.

Like I've said: you don't live here. You don't know the methods. Sure, it's caveman crude, but it works. So please, lay off it.

There are three or four of us in this thread who have done it or had it done. And if the thread starter goes to a suspension shop here in the Philippines, this is the method they are most likely to use. And why call us out on it? We obviously did not go onto the internet, look up "dangerous ghetto car modifications" and copy-paste this stuff. This is from experience.

Now, I'm not completely bohemian. Despite people telling me to the contrary, I hate "ghetto cut springs", namely because they usually don't sit at the right height, don't give you enough suspension travel, and invariably wear down your shocks and bushings. But in the wrapping method? Hell, if you don't have the right tools to compress a spring, there's no safer way.

And again: calling out people and insinuating that they don't know the hell what they're talking about? Not cool. Not cool at all. While I may often be wrong (and I'll admit it when I am...), I've personally met the guy who made the original suggestion of wire-binding. He's an avid off-roader and probably knows more about suspensions from hands-on practice than either of us.

As for netiquette: The common practice in tsikot. One guy says one thing, one guy disagrees, first guy explains, ah okay, ahhh... that's it... If disagreement still exists, second guy explains, blah blah blah. It'll sometimes end up as: "I still disagree with you, but whatever.", not "You don't know what the hell you're talking about, you must be a thirteen year old at your daddy's keyboard.".

This is tsikot. While other websites might have their share of poseurs, most guys here are twenty to forty years old. We come on here for car problems and to b*tch about the traffic in the philippines, not to pretend to be something we're not (and most of the guys who do get found out eventually).

Keep in mind, that this is a Philippine website, and that things are a little different here, ayt?

And I don't give advice half-assed. Well, not most of the time. That's why I don't post in all the workshop threads. If I know absolutely nothing about the topic, I won't say anything, I just read and learn.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    kami ginagawa namin ng mga tropa namin pag mag papalit kami ng spring sa oto sinasandal namin sa pader o inaapakan lang namin un dulo tas dahan dahan nilluluwagan ung other end hanggang sa pag natanggal na ung nut tatalsik ung springs ng kusa! hehehe...

Modifying an EK Hatch