New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I've been thinking about trading in my Fortuner to upgrade to a 02' or '03 C-class.

I've read about stories here and in other local forums about how expensive it is to maintain these vehicles. Is it like double of the price of parts and maintenance that Honda is asking for? Or much higher pa?

Anyway, thanks for reading.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I thought you wanted an older MB, because the new ones, although new, have a lot of electrical issues. Get a nice, well maintained, pre-1993 w124 with every option possible.

The thing is, parts cost much more, especially for the new ones. The labor would also cost more, because of specializations in dealing with diagnosing these cars. The w124 doesn't have much electrical problems prior to 1993, but it has wiring harness issues after that (up to 95). The 190E baby Benz is great for city driving, small and nimble but has the suspension features of a w124 (similar sila).

Parts availability for the earlier models will be great too but as the model gets newer, parts get more expensive.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Cost of maintaining older model such as the 201 (190) and 124 (230 / 260) are basically at par with the newer japanese parts.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    I thought you wanted an older MB, because the new ones, although new, have a lot of electrical issues. Get a nice, well maintained, pre-1993 w124 with every option possible.

The thing is, parts cost much more, especially for the new ones. The labor would also cost more, because of specializations in dealing with diagnosing these cars. The w124 doesn't have much electrical problems prior to 1993, but it has wiring harness issues after that (up to 95). The 190E baby Benz is great for city driving, small and nimble but has the suspension features of a w124 (similar sila).

Parts availability for the earlier models will be great too but as the model gets newer, parts get more expensive.
    Thanks for the info, but I'm not into the older MBs. I've got my eye on the soon to be phased-out C-class body.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    compared sa maintenance ng fortuner mo ngayon, we can safely say na 2 to 3 times more expensive and maintenance ng euro car. You rarely see Euro car owners who drives it daily.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bry View Post
    Thanks for the info, but I'm not into the older MBs. I've got my eye on the soon to be phased-out C-class body.
    Goodluck! I hope the unit you get won't be as problematic as I've heard.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    sakit nga sa ulo/bulsa yung C-Class..

btw, ayaw ninyo ng E-Class (w210) na E55 AMG? 1.9M neg..I think mas-safe kayo sa w210 kung sa w203 lang..yun lang, malamang malakas sa gas un E55..
    Last edited by hens; April 16th, 2007 at 01:21 PM.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    been wanting to ask this same question to MBEIGE. i am currently looking at a 190D 2.2 diesel A/T. not sure what year ito, maybe late 80's or early 90's baby benz. mura kasi and very good body condition with all power and moonroof. how is the maintenance cost kaya? what are the most common problems? ok ba itong daily driver? la lang, gusto ko lang kasi magka benz.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    The 2.2L 190D is very good especially in city driving. Not as powerful as the turbo model but definitely a good all around base model to start with as a daily driver and as an everyday commuter. It will love the city, as well as long distance drives, even if it's not as fast. I think it came out in 1987 together with the w124 na diesel versions.

I don't know of any problems it has, and parts are readily available para sa 190E/D models.

From Wikipedia,

1983 also saw the first 190d models with a brand new diesel engine which was 25 pounds lighter than the 2.0 petrol engine. This engine had uncommon ‘Crossflow’ cylinder heads, hydraulic tappets and a single belt driving all ancillaries, following the design of their petrol engines. Everything was readily accessible for servicing, and a thermostatically-controlled heating element prevented the diesel fuel from ‘waxing’ in cold temperatures and turning to jelly in the fuel lines. The sound had been reduced by 50% because of the three-piece capsule around the engine. Diesel models were available as a 2.0 four-cylinder, 2.2 four-cylinder, and 2.5 five-cylinder. The turbocharged version of the latter made 122 bhp, equalling the 2.0 injection petrol. These models can be spotted by air intakes in the exhaust-side front wing (fender). The 2.5 turbo engine was not available in the UK and only in the USA on the 1987 and 1988 190d 2.5. In the USA, the diesel engines were dropped after 1989.
    Here are some figures (last two columns are max power in PS then (kW) and max speed mph, then (kph)) - first column is engine displacement.

1997 Diesel I4 8v 75(55) 100(160)
    2199 Diesel I4 8v 73(54) 100(160)
    2497 Diesel I5 10v 94(69) 109(175)
    2497 Diesel TurboI5 10v 122(89) 119(192)

Somewhat related thread on Benz World:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123...1985-190d.html

And on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W201
    Last edited by mbeige; April 16th, 2007 at 03:29 PM.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    thanks mbeige! approx. magkano kaya market price nito. do you have an email add where i can send you the pics of this 190D i'm looking at? nasa talyer pa eh, being re-conditioned. you may PM me for the email add.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Maintaining a MB - how expensive is it?