New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    It puzzles me why they accept those American vehicles with the steering wheel placed on the wrong side. Don't you agree that this is one factor that can compromise road safety?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Because the drivers and the road system can handle it. Same as in Japan where LHD cars are legal if there is no RHD equivalent.

In Canada, RHD vehicles are also allowed (a net buddy of mine is getting an ex-JDM GEN II Pajero soon, he just sold his Montero).

In Europe, different territories have different driving orientations. So it is normal to see a vehicle with the steering wheel on the 'wrong side' on any given day.

Mas delikado pa siguro ang lousy conversion.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP
    Mas delikado pa siguro ang lousy conversion.
    Correct.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    baka gagamitin nila yun as weekend car pag tatawid ng tunnel papuntang france. hula ko lang.

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    As far as i know, LHD vehicles in the UK have a higher insurance premium as compared to RHD vehicles.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    You're more at risk if you're not accustomed to driving on the correct side of the road (left side), compared to driving a car with the steering wheel on the wrong side (LHD).

LHD cars not really a big issue. People here tend to stick to the maximum allowable speed, so there's no need to overtake. And if you do find yourself in a tricky situation (visibility-wise), by all means just creep.

But you're right ... safety is a bit compromised. Evidence of this is the higher insurance premium for LHD cars. But heck, insurance companies have thought of everything to get more money from you. Magkabit ka lang ng spoiler o strut bar o aftermarket rims etc., mas mahal na bayad mo. Even your annual mileage has an effect (sorry OT, hehe, nakakainis lang).

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I agree... LHD would be a no-brainer here if people would stick to the speed limits...

But I imagine it would be nice if our trucks and buses were RHD... then those damn drivers would be stuck to the right side of the road instead of the left...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Again, it's those American cars. They just won't make RHD versions for Europe, yet the Brits accept them. I know the issue of steering wheel position will not be completely solved, but it can be minimized.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by squala
    Again, it's those American cars. They just won't make RHD versions for Europe, yet the Brits accept them. I know the issue of steering wheel position will not be completely solved, but it can be minimized.
    Well, that is because most of Europe is already using LHD vehicles / driving on the right lane (only Britain, Ireland, Malta & Cyprus drive on the left). And with relaxed intercontinental/country travel across Europe - having a LHD or RHD doesn't matter anymore.

by the way, the origin of LHD & RHD dates back to the middle ages.

when riding a horse, it is easier to mount on the left hand side. ergo - British people keep to the left when riding horses.

but after the mass use of carts (drawn by two horses) - this became irrelevant since the driver would normally sit behind the leftmost horse (using his right hand to steer). thus - keeping to the right became a norm.

btw, there are more LHD than RHD countries worldwide. it is mostly former British territories that kept to the RHD dictum.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by squala
    Again, it's those American cars. They just won't make RHD versions for Europe, yet the Brits accept them.
    Take note that the whole of continental Europe uses LHD. With the UK, Ireland, Malta and Cyprus being islands (all RHD's), only the Brits have easy driving access to continental driving ... and the Brits do it mostly just to buy liquor and tobacco in France.

Americans do make RHD versions, although dito na sa UK ginawa. There's a limited choice of American RHD cars here from Chrysler, Ford, etc. No sense in building a RHD car in the US for export to UK if they have a UK plant. But most American models are impractical to sell here, kaya konti lang.

Dapat mas magtaka pa kung bakit nag-i-import ang Japan ng Civic Type R? ... Sa Swindon UK plant lang kasi ginagawa yon, kaya naman siya naging first Japanese car to be imported by Japan, hehehe - according to the news report I've seen years ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
LHD cars in UK, why?