New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    ano ba mas reliable when it comes on assembling our vehicles?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Tingin ko pareho lang. As big companies go, they must apply the same quality control standards regardless of where they are built to maintain the image of quality.

Plus hindi ba robotic naman karamihan, except maybe interiors?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pag local assemble, mas readily available mga parts so in the long run siguro mascheaper to maintain a locally assembled car than a one that was imported. baka casa lang kaya gumawa or they might have to import the parts if there was something wrong with the imported unit.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    When you say imported vs loclly assembled are you talking about cbu units? Ako dun ako sa CBU.

Just my preference

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Depends on where the unit is CBU from. CBU from Korean, Taiwan or Thailand are comparable in build quality to locally assembled vehicles. CBU from the US are worse... (actually, it's just the materials...) ...CBU from Japan are usually of good quality, because of the higher amount of automation.

All of this is also dependent on the quality of the parts and manufacturing itself. If parts tolerances and ease of handling are good, then it doesn't really matter where they're assembled... as long as the quality assurance system of the plant is good.

AFAIK, the locally assembled X-Trails, Fords and Mazdas are used for export. They've won JD Powers Initial Quality awards over the past few years. The initial quality award is reflective of the build quality and workmanship of the vehicle, while their regular Quality award considers three year reliability, which is reflective of the durability of the components themselves.
    Last edited by niky; April 29th, 2006 at 02:33 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Quote Originally Posted by niky
    AFAIK, the locally assembled X-Trails, Fords and Mazdas are used for export.
    OT Just curious, would you know when Nissan started locally assembling X-trails? Got our unit on October 2004.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    From the beginning, yata. AFAIK, the first units sold here were already locally assembled. The Philippines is the ASEAN hub for X-Trail production.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    ganyan kasi ang narinig ko may mga Batch na outside sa country ginawa
    ,at ang later batch ay dito sa Pinas na inassemble,
    alam naman natin may mga local plant(Honda,Toyota,Ford,etc.) na tayo dito
    pero bakit nag dadala pa sila ng gawa sa labas ng Bansa

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    The nice thing about Philippine-assembled is that it's man-made. CBUs from Japan are robotized. Compare CBU RAV4 and Altis assembled here. The former begins to have some rattles on the inside after a few years, while the latter remains more intact.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    The thing is sometimes, the difference tends to be not too far and heck, even at times local assembled can be just as good as those built in Japan or any original source.

Really depends talaga.

In the case with the Ford Group plant in Sta. Rosa, now that's an excellent vehicle factory (best in the country). But when compared to the local Honda factory, it doesn't have that good manufacturing processes when compared to Ayutthya or even Suzuka. Perhaps it's because they haven't spent any extra money yet to upgrade their facilities (unlike what Ford and Nissan Phils are planning to do for this year & the next)

But in the case of man-made VS. automated, I would say that automated is better. I don't know but if you've seen the latest motorshows, the next-gen Lexus LS units were still hand-made (check clublexus.com) and they had lots of things that weren't right.

Of course, it could also work the other way around. In the case of Ferraris and Maseratis and those uber-expensive super luxuries from Europe, those tend to be hand-made. Heck, I've even heard before on Carspyshots.net and a few car magazines that Ferrari was thinking of making a mass-production vehicle and then I started hearing people complain about it.

I don't really know.

I can say though that the Hiroshima-built Mazda 6 2.3 liter does indeed look of good-build and good use of materials.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Imported vs.Local assemble