New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    How old are you anyway?

2. FrankDrebin Guest
    Do the US-based nurses really earn that kind of money? Well, if you are really "born with nothing" then why are you thinking of spending all of your hard-earned money over a luxury car? Only an idiot will do that thing.

Last edited by FrankDrebin; February 21st, 2007 at 02:46 PM.

3. FrankDrebin Guest
    Just a nice background music for this thread.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tawag na kaya tayo sa mandaluyong? para matulungan na siya

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Nurses are hot :cupid: :lovers: :harana:

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankDrebin View Post
    Do the US-based nurses really earn that kind of money?
    It's probably around $70k - $100k per year, depending on whether you're fresh out of school or have a lot of experience before you go. I heard of a guy who started at $7k a month, but he had ten years' experience under his belt before he left, and he was supervisor level.

So, in essence, if you stay in the US long enough and don't spend much... (say you can save $10k-$20k per year) maybe in twenty years you'll have enough saved to buy a Lambo in the US.

But definitely not one here. Taxes aren't linear. Taxes for small vehicles are about 50%, but it's rising rate from there on in. A Mazda3 2.0 costs approximately 50% more here than it does in the US (based on the US 4-door 2.0 without Sirius Satellite radio). But a BMW 760Li, which costs $100K, costs a whopping 150% more here.

So, say a Lambo Murcielago, which costs just under $300k brand new, is brought here... if you don't bribe anyone and do everything officially, you're paying anywhere from 30,000,000 to 40,000,000 pesos. If the tax and importation are strictly 150% for cars worth more than 2 million pesos, then it's 35,000,000. Or about $700,000 dollars.

Insurance costs would be about 700k pesos per year... (my cousin pays 250k for his 730i) ouch! Rumor has it that replacement parts are terrible, too. If you drag launch it, expect to spend around 50k pesos to replace the clutch... or more.

I forgot about the Rolls Royce. Back when the new Phantom was launched, they were quoting 30 million pesos for one. It might be around 35 million now, but I'm not sure.

Thus, invest, invest, invest. Start a profitable business or speculate in real estate (not too wildly, though). A Lambo or Rolls would be a nice way to celebrate your retirement, but it's definitely more practical to put it into a good house or building projects (some people invest it in their home villages or barangays, building schools, churches and other things for their old neighbors... builds goodwill, uplifts the standard of living of the area, and as a bonus, they have a very nice place to return to when they retire), then buy a "cheaper" luxury car with what's left over.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Methinks we're being taken for a ride...not unless he won in the lottery. IMHO, working as a nurse in the US for only 3 years isn't enough to buy a bonafide luxury car or supercar (and I mean a real pedigreed luxury car. Dito kasi sa Pinas, kahit ang Accord, luxury car na, nyak!)

Anyway, there's more than enough info here for him to make up his mind.

Shades of Airshaq???

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
    Methinks we're being taken for a ride...

Shades of Airshaq???

we're all thinking the same thing...just goes to show how nice the people are here.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Methinks we're being taken for a ride...not unless he won in the lottery.
    Ditto... A lot of my older cousins are doctors, most of whom live and work as doctors in the states (am actually studying medicine myself). THEY don't even have that kind of dough to splurge on a luxury car (and an impractical one at that), let alone ship it here for 2x-3x the price, and they earn a lot more than nurses.

I could be wrong though, this guy might be one of the "elite few" (read: non-existent) earning more than doctors. Just my two cents (centavos?)

10. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    he must be a member of the 62 bucks gang in killadelphia :rofl01:

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
HELP me!