New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Okay, so it's been almost three months since my brake light came on the dashboard and it was right the very next day I brought the car to the dealership for my 25K maintenance. I called Nissan right away and asked if they forgot to check something because they marked all of the boxes on the work order form that they handed me. I was told to just bring it back in and that they will take a look at it.

Something came up the day I was supposed to take the car to the place and being Ms. Procastinator that I am, I waited 3K miles later to finally ask my friend Gwap (since he's driving the same car) if it was my brake pads or if I just need to put more brake fluid. So I popped the hood open and I didn't even know what the hell I was looking at. To be perfectly honest with you guys, I thought it looked scary. It looks like a big tangled mess to me. Hoses hooked up everywhere.

I was hoping to see an icon or a box marked brake fluid but I didn't see one. There were two covered compartments and I lifted the bigger one first. I know what a battery looks like and I know that was it. Then I proceeded to the other one and I was happy to see the cap marked brake fluid blah..blah..blah..So I called gwap again and asked him what was I supposed to do. So he told me to check if the fluid is below the min line and yes it was.

Drove to the nearest gas station and grabbed the first plastic bottle of brake fluid that laid my eyes on. Popped that hood open again, dumped the fluid in, crossed my fingers before starting the ignition. I inserted the key in and it was such a relief to see that the annoying red light is no longer on.

Now I have another problem... The wishbone indicator (meaning one of my tire pressure's low) is on. The reader displays F: 34/34 R: 26/34 .. I know
    it's my right rear tire and I'm thinking of inflating it myself.

My question is, how do I know if I already put enough air? I'm trying to learn all these things. So please, aside from adding more brake fluid to checking tire pressure, what other things do I need to know? I'm sure that female tsikoteers could learn a thing or two.

But do not expect me to jack the car up and change tires anytime soon.. that's a very manly thing to do.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    hi missz.. regarding air. just go to the station, adjust the compressor PSI to your cars recommended tire pressure, and stick the hose into the tire valve. it'll automatically stop at the correct pressure.

checks.. coolant, wiper fluid, oil levels, atf levels... maintenance - get a pamphlet from your dealer. HTH.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The recommended tire pressure for your vehicle is located in a panel near the driver's door (when you open it). Fill your tires when it is at rest (not after a long drive).

Things to look out for also:
    - coolant level (this might be located near the gas tank), top-up w/ distilled h20 when it is near the low indicator
    - power steering fluid level, use ATF to top-up
    - battery, maintenance free ones will only last between 15-24 months

do also check for fluid leaks in your garage floor (do this by placing a newspaper underneath the engine).

check out also if all your lights are working.

hth

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    deng akala ko kung ano na itong first time eh :naughty2:

besides what the other guys said, get a cheap tire pressure gauge and keep it in your trunk. also good to have a few spare fuses, a cell phone charger and jumper cables.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Since we're both in SoCal I just pump air into the tires and estimate how long it takes (10-20 seconds usually) then check with my own tire pressure gauge to see how much air is in. Make sure the tires are still cold. Just ask the attendant behind the sales counter to activate the pump, unless you have some free change with you and are in a hurry.

Or if you're not in a hurry, do this on your way home: pump some air in maybe 25 seconds' worth and then head home. After parking the car for more than 3 hours you can check the tire pressures with your own gauge, and release any air until the gauge will indicate your desired tire PSI. That's what I do. Don't forget your spare tire! There should be a tag indicating the proper tire pressures of your car as well as the spare, and for what driving conditions. But if your car already has the automated pressure monitoring system, all the better. Make sure you follow your owner's manual for the recommended procedures.

I don't know if your Z uses DOT 3 or DOT 4 but make sure to know next time what type you put in. Don't mix DOT 3, or DOT 4, with DOT 5! DOT 5 is different from 3 and 4, but you can mix 3 and 4 pero try to avoid when you can.

If you have AAA or other reliable insurance company that has 24 hour roadside assistance, always have their number ready in your phone or in the glovebox, with a pouch for some change if needed be. Since your car is fairly new I wouldn't worry much about breaking down, but it's good to know what to do in case you do.

It would be great to finally hold an EB, that way you can ask questions that can easily be answered. Sana sa August na lang yung magiging EB niyo, I'll be in Manila this coming Sunday until mid August...

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    Pareho tayo Mbeige, heading to manila too, till the end of july, to attend to business and the upcoming megamall gunshow. Sana may manila EB na maabutan.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    *NazQ - ah, so filling air is like pumping gas, it'll automaticallyy stop.

*Empy - the digital tire pressure gauge is the one that reads how much air your tire has, right? my car is equipped with tire sensors, doi still ned to buy one?

*Mbeige - Z uses Dot 3. How come I didn't see different Dot numbers at Chevron? puro Dot 3 lang.

*M2 - so the Tire pressure that registers on my reader is accurate? kase lumalabas sha like 30 seconds after I start the car. And why do you think it's only that one tire got so low. the other 3 were at 35 and that one was at 26. thanks.
    Last edited by tinky; June 7th, 2007 at 01:35 AM.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered View Post
    deng akala ko kung ano na itong first time eh :naughty2:

ako din eh. sige kayo na lang sumagot

9. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Mukhang napapadalas pag-uusap nyo ni Mr. BlackZ... may nick pa sya...

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by missZ View Post
    *NazQ - ah, so filling air is like pumping gas, it'll automaticallyy stop.

*Empy - the digital tire pressure gauge is the one that reads how much air your tire has, right? my car is equipped with tire sensors, doi still ned to buy one?

*Mbeige - Z uses Dot 3. How come I didn't see different Dot numbers at Chevron? puro Dot 3 lang.

*M2 - so the Tire pressure that registers on my reader is accurate? kase lumalabas sha like 30 seconds after I start the car. And why do you think it's only that one tire got so low. the other 3 were at 35 and that one was at 26. thanks.
    Miss Z, most gas station air compressors have a gauge directly on the nozzle. when you push it in to fill, the gauge readout will pop back that tells you how much psi is in your tire. You can compare what it reads to what your car reads.

Also, filling air IS NOT like pumping gas, it won't automatically stop. Just push it in for 5 seconds and see what the guage reads. Then kung kulang pa, put it in for 5 seconds again...repeat if necessary.

At least that's how it worked with the last virgin I had...este car pala.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
~First Time Popping It~