New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    pagkakaalam ko , that needs to have

1. high ground clearance
    2. waterproof engine bay(um, i guess for really extreme cases na to)
    3. the air intake mounted up high
    4. exhaust mounted up high
    5. battery and connections waterproofed, or mounted up high

just wondering that while some do have snorkels or have their air intake mounted high, few bother to do the same with the exhaust. ok lang ba na lublob sa baha ang tambutso, so long as walang papasok na tubig sa intake? di ba pwedeng pasukan din ng tubig at the other end(exhaust)?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    how high is the flood that you are talking of?

I was able to ford floods of around 2 feet plus with our 323 without a problem.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    same with mazda2.
    went around 2 feet of flood too sa buendia (tapat ng Grepalife) with my singkit before...

pero lam ko chamba na lang yun. hehehe.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    the problem of lublob ang tambutso while traversing flood is chance of choking the engine due water rush in that will cause dead engine and get stranded, so maintain ur revs high all the time if u think ur exhaust is submerge.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Flood resistant? Except for SUVs and AUVs, the best cars I can think of are Mazda 323s, 626s and Ford Lynxes, with their high air filter intakes. Most new cars now have air filter intakes near the top of the engine bay, also. Most carburated cars have high intakes, due to the downdraft carbs and engine-top airfilters.

Non-flood resistant, though, would have to be the older ECCS (up to 2000) Sentras (don't know about the intake on the new ones), as their airtube is headlight level and below, and the Optra, with its very low intake. The Mitsubishi Lancers with the INVECS is very vulnerable, as there is approximately 100,000 pesos worth of computer boxes to replace if the inside gets flooded (as opposed to 20-40,000 pesos worth on most other cars. Anyone know any others?

Bottom line, If you're going to ford a flood and your car is EFI, if there's a danger of water seeping through the doors, forget it... save your electronics.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    The obvious winners in deep water fording would be the tall SUVs and AUVs. Not only are they tall enough to keep most of the water-sensitive components dry, most of them are already quite water-proof from being diesel-powered (with virtually waterproof mechanical injection).

When it comes to cars, you're better off avoiding deep water altogether. Sure some cars might be able to take 2 feet of water, but that doesn't mean that the differentials and the transmission was spared from water ingestion. It might not develop any problems immediately, but if that water is not removed, it will definitely cause some corrosion inside amongst the drivetrain components. That's not even counting the dirt that get's ground in between the gear and bearing surfaces.

Deep water-fording vehicles have large tires keeping the vital machinery away from the water level. In addition, they've also been modified so that the breather ports are connected via hoses into the safety of the high cabin.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tama si shadetree, kasi nung nangyari to sa akin (see my previous post...) palit ako lahat ng differentials and joints dahil kinalawang yung loob.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    actually i thought about this while reading the APV brochure. i was saying to myself na ok nga ng ganyang kataas na intake, pero lublob pa rin ung exhaudt

same with those large 4x4 pickups na me snorkel nga, pero no modifications sa exhaust( as compared to a Humvee).

pero i guess if your electronics aren't really water tight, tirik din ang aabutin mo B)

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    diba may thread na tayo about paglusong sa baha?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk
    ...same with those large 4x4 pickups na me snorkel nga, pero no modifications sa exhaust...
    That's because diesel engines have higher compression ratio which has more exhaust pressure out to keep the water from going in.

Last edited by Ungas; August 3rd, 2005 at 04:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
elements of a flood resistant car